Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat blocks/shapers/home made?...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Hi,

A couple of questions. First the problem: I intentionaly soaked one of my hats to see if it would shrink to my size (it did, yay!). It is dry now but the crown looks a little lumpy here and there. It needs a block.

A.- any ideas as to how to make a home-made block?

B.- Are you guys familiar with these things? http://www.hatshapers.com/

Many thanks!

buler

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
Hi,

A couple of questions. First the problem: I intentionaly soaked one of my hats to see if it would shrink to my size (it did, yay!). It is dry now but the crown looks a little lumpy here and there. It needs a block.

Many thanks!

You can also wet the crown and fill it with water and let it sit overnight. Set it on a folded towel. I've done that to get rid of some crown bumps/lines. I only fill it to the ribbon edge so the water doesn't soak thru and leave water marks on the ribbon.

B

buler

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
hmm... what if it shrinks more? would it?

Can't guarantee that won't happen. I use cold water and haven't noticed any shrinking. I've only done it 3 times so far.

B

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Aureliano said:
Hi,

Many thanks!

Get a bandsaw and a lathe ( don't forget the gouges and skewers) and a place to put them. Glue some 2 x 4's together and saw out a rectangle. Mount the rectangle on the lathe and go to work. Pull your hat over it. Crease and wear it to town the next day.

;)

:p

:D

Jauntyone

Practically Family
I made this block and flange from ordinary modeling clay. It takes a while to build up, but you can sand it down nice and smooth once it's dried.
day160.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
CRH said:
Get a bandsaw and a lathe ( don't forget the gouges and skewers) and a place to put them. Glue some 2 x 4's together and saw out a rectangle. Mount the rectangle on the lathe and go to work. Pull your hat over it. Crease and wear it to town the next day.

;)

:p

:D

lol lol lol :eusa_clap

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Jauntyone said:
I made this block and flange from ordinary modeling clay. It takes a while to build up, but you can sand it down nice and smooth once it's dried.
day160.jpg

How interesting! does it do the job? tell us more!

I guess no one has used those hat shapers...

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Jaunty! Incredible :eusa_clap ...I can see the open crowns slipping right on those...I still have to learn how a flange works exactly though...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I have a flange. You basically insert the hat through the hole and then, with a steam iron--or a regular iron with a cloth in between-- you iron the brim. The thing is that (and I've seen Orlando and Graham do it) after ironing they out the flange under a big (and I mean BIG) sand bag press that will make the brim stay in shape.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Aureliano said:

I guess no one has used those hat shapers...

They don't make one in my size 22 3/4 in. give or take... :( .

The 23 in. would probably work without a sweatband but I only need one for maintenance at this stage.

Jingo Mastapone

Familiar Face
Thank you, Jauntyone, for confirming that a clay block and flange can work. I've been thinking of trying that since it seems easier than working with wood. I was also picturing a companion mould for the flange that would sit on top of it and press the brim without the need for sandbags.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Jingo Mastapone said:
I was also picturing a companion mould for the flange that would sit on top of it and press the brim without the need for sandbags.

Keep in mind that the sandbags are for more than just weight. The sandbags are heated as well, and it's the heat that actually does the job of flanging the brim, more so than the weight.

Brad

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
buler said:
You can also wet the crown and fill it with water and let it sit overnight. Set it on a folded towel. I've done that to get rid of some crown bumps/lines. I only fill it to the ribbon edge so the water doesn't soak thru and leave water marks on the ribbon.

B

Not meaning to correct you, because it does make sense that getting the ribbon wet would leave water marks, but...I fill it to about 1/2" from the sweatband seam, and make sure the ribbon IS completely soaked - this method will actually remove most of the sweat-stains on ribbons, and I've never known it to leave water marks. But I think, as Buler mentions, if you didn't soak the ribbon all the way, it would leave water marks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner