1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by red devil, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Not wishing to start anything. 2016 figures from the World Health Organisation indicates American men are 3 inches taller on average today than the average height of 5'7" back in the early to mid 20th century. A 22-23 inch back at 5'7" to 5'9" is manageable, especially with high pants. I noticed in Sears period ads for half-belts from the 1940's-50's that they proudly advertise 25.5 inch standard back lengths. Again, at 5'7" to 5'10", that seems longer that I would have imagined. I think once you are six one or over the back length needs to leave behind off the rack period accuracy.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 8:49 AM
  2. El Marro

El Marro Practically Family

Well guys, I am back in the saddle again!
    A few hours after my crushing rejection by Langlitz I picked myself up off the ground and reached out to Lost Worlds via email. Stuart and I sent a couple emails back and forth this morning and then I called him up to finalize the details. I am in the queue for a CHP in heavy black horsehide.

roadking04, Carlos840, ton312 and 7 others like this.
  3. JMax

JMax One Too Many

Any tweaks or his standard CHP? I should have done the mouton collar. Congrats!

4. El Marro

I eliminated the epaulets, belt loops, and badge holder. I also requested a straight waistband, with no dip in the back, since this is a casual jacket and not for riding.
    The mouton collar sounds like a great idea! I will ask Stuart if he can add a removable mouton collar to my order. Thanks JMax!

steve u and JMax like this.
  5. JMax

JMax One Too Many

Very nice. I found a vintage police jacket with almost the same mods for the same reason. To wear when off the bike. It’s going to be stellar.

Did you keep the side laces?

Stu’s mouton is great. Real deal. On par with the vintage Cals I own.

El Marro likes this.
  6. El Marro

Yes I kept the laces. I know that some people can’t stand them, but to me that is a quintessential part of what makes it a real CHP style jacket.

ton312, seres, Guppy and 2 others like this.
  7. Edward

Edward Bartender

Me too; it's the age-old TFL thing: there are those of us who want an overall vintage look, and for whom therefore the old-school proportions are desirable, and then there are those who are only interested in a jacket that will fit with modern proportions. Horses for courses.

I would look at 'period accuracy' as being less a question of the numbers, more a question of fit and proportions. Certainly true that then, as now, a much taller guy would with have to be able to afford to go custom (if available), or simply accept wearing his jacket much shorter than anyone else if he was much taller by comparison (see early photos of Joey Ramone!).

Mich486 likes this.
  8. Gamma68

Gamma68 Practically Family

1DC3A782-E8BB-4466-855E-94734CD420A5.jpeg With regard to wearing short jackets, here’s an image of FL member @Michael A, who’s nailed the look IMO. The jacket sleeves are much longer than the jacket body but he wears it very well. It’s making me think twice about returning that Windward.

9. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

I can only repeat myself - If you care for owning a true and proper 50's motorcycle jacket, you got one. Sure, it's short by today's standard but then again, we are on an internet forum dedicated to the fashion of the 50's. That's how these jackets used to be. Keep it.

Edward likes this.
  10. Edward

Edward Bartender

Exactly so. I've yet to see a Perfecto-type which ditches these proportions and manages to look good. The fashion efforts I've seen with backlengths of 28" and such look uniformly awful.

Quite.