1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by red devil, Feb 12, 2017.

1. hondurasdave47

hondurasdave47 One of the Regulars

Arriving Wednesday. I’ll post fit pics up when it arrives. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ai00344, Bfd70, sweetfights and 13 others like this.
  2. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

People were the same. Pants were higher. What Ton said, most 50's MC jackets are about 22" with 24" being maximum. Buco's in Long sizes are like 25" back.

Argh, I wish I could find those photos from a 1950's car show that someone had posted a year or two ago. Lots of leather jackets on 'em and all fit extremely short. Shorter than the one you just posted.

Which, by the way, looks good on you. It's a true vtg cross zip. That's just how these jackets used to be. Short. I'd wear it for what it is.

Lebowski likes this.
  3. Dr H

Dr H One Too Many

Is that one of Dave’s? I recognise that flooring and those French seams!
    I think that I’m just behind you.
    Fine looking jacket!

4. hondurasdave47

Indeed it is!

Dr H likes this.
  5. Here again, I wouldn't wear a Cross zip MC jacket that short no matter how it was 'supposed' to be at one time. Who would want to walk around looking ridiculous in 2019 just because that may have been the style fifty-sixty years ago. I see folks here wearing well fitting suits, etc, from the '30s, '40s and '50s that even look very sharp and well tailored in 2019. Very few in zoot suits. I started riding and wearing MC jackets in 1964. Never saw any one wearing one cut above his belt. He would have been laughed off the highway just as now.
    HD

Guppy and Seb Lucas like this.
  6. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

7. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

^Agreed. And that collar is absolutely
    D417FDAF-37BD-48E3-91DD-B115A7A2FA34.jpeg

dannyk, hondurasdave47 and Dr H like this.
  8. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

Yep, that's how a collar on a leather jacket is suppose to look like! Funny how just a few degrees of angle have such a profound effect on an entire jacket.

9. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

[​IMG]

Lebowski and dannyk like this.
  10. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 Call Me a Cab

I read your review. Interesting. I have not seen the side zippers before. I don't recall seeing MC jackets with this 40s Windward label. I don't always look that closely at MC gear, but that era label stands out on that style of jacket. Here is one of my Windward labels with Horsehide. If you don't have Horsehide on the label as this one, it may be steerhide. You have it in hand so can tell better. Steerhide was used, I have Police jackets from the 30s that are marked steerhide, as is my late 40s Pugh.

[​IMG]

It has this zipper:

[​IMG]

I call this their 50s label. This label typically designated the leather.

[​IMG]

As to the leather. Here is my same era, late 40s Sportclad. It has leather that compares well with any leather produced today. I've had it next to a shinki Himel and it looked/feels similar.

Leathers varied even in that day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It does look a bit short for wearing today. This Sportclad appears a bit longer, but not much. This was taken a few years back.

[​IMG]

I've seen a couple of other Sportclads like this with the same leather. It really stands out. This particular jacket is basically unworn. From 1948

navetsea, Edward, sweetfights and 5 others like this.
  11. Superfluous

Superfluous My Mail is Forwarded Here

That is gorgeous!!! Love the French seams. DS is starting to hit the radar in a big way. Congrats. Looking forward to your review.

hondurasdave47 and Dr H like this.
  12. zebedee

zebedee Practically Family

My cafe racer is 24.5 inches at the back- by far the shortest jacket that I own. I'm not at the point where I'd buy higher-waisted jeans to raise the belt level- if that's how Aero made it, it's how it's probably supposed to be. It covers my belt (just) but I wouldn't want it to be any shorter. It certainly 'reminds' me when I am carrying too much weight.

Next one will be a Teamster in a very dark brown. After I've sold others to fund it.

13. steve u

steve u One of the Regulars

And I think I'm just behind you....too.
    steve

14. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 Call Me a Cab

look forward to seeing more of this guy. looks like a Hercules.

hondurasdave47 likes this.
  15. El Marro

El Marro One Too Many

What a beauty!
    Really looking forward to seeing more photos of this one once it arrives. Congratulations Dave!

16. hondurasdave47

Yessir. Here’s an original Hercules Dave used to build my jacket.[​IMG]

tmitchell59, handymike, jeo and 2 others like this.
  17. willyto

willyto Practically Family

That measurement is not strange to me to be honest. I have a few vintage jackets (Wool and Leather) that are meant to me that short. I have some with 21-22 inches. Certain styles like sports jackets, aviator, cycling, motorcycles are meant to be shorter than usual and this is on the shorter end.

They are made to be worn with other leather trousers or high rise denim so those jackets will be short for any other style that doesn't have the same rise.

I would rock the hell out of that short jacket but then I use high rise trousers so the jacket would cover my belt entirely without problems.

Edward likes this.
  18. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

*IF* I ever revisit a standard HB this would be the pattern I’d want to go after as well. I semi regret not going for Aero’s OG Herc when I ordered my second HB. I’d love to see a dedicated thread on your jacket. I’ve been toying with the idea of going through DS for awhile now. Maybe you can force my sworn only 3 to 4. ;)

El Marro and hondurasdave47 like this.
  19. Bfd70

Bfd70 Practically Family

If I saw someone in The Radler wearing a jacket like this I’d start a conversation for sure!

20. hondurasdave47