Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I’m gonna do a Teamster or Moonshiner with Steer and Moleskin as a winter coat. Probably not this year though . Unless I order soon.
The moonshiner sleeves tapers at the elbow, even though it’s quite generous in the torso the sleeves are tight at the elbow. Layer with vest is ok but not sweatshirt. I don’t have the Teamster and I was looking at that in comparison to the Maxwell. I‘m keeping an eye out on the sale page for these two…

ojaw

A-List Customer
I decided to give Lost Worlds a call and I'm pretty confident a deerskin jean jacket would be a very nice choice... pricey, but they are the only ones offering a finished deerskin with some water repellency.
Water repellency? But how else do you properly age a jacket than by wearing it in all weathers and allowing the climate to change the hide?

Some updates on my Reg built Windward. He found a vintage crown zip for it. Liner being installed this weekend. I am absolutely dying to get my hands on it. I really appreciate the intricacy and detail. The amalgamated tag bearing his brand is brilliant.
751091CB-4F5A-46B1-927B-AA082EE26D80.jpeg
6231F8E4-EEA2-403E-B610-D4FBE96E88C3.jpeg
D0F1E872-7DB0-49E4-9950-BDD435DB5AAD.jpeg
4600FD46-1506-48DA-9F18-E5C44E78C1C9.jpeg
8A79DF55-1C29-45F0-81C1-0A4153015E36.jpeg
EDA54E23-B340-4B4F-9872-6BF367839131.jpeg
ECD596F0-088A-4FCF-996E-BA91AA5166E0.jpeg

Reg has been great! Keeping me updated and letting me know where things stand. The anticipation is killing me!

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Some updates on my Reg built Windward. He found a vintage crown zip for it. Liner being installed this weekend. I am absolutely dying to get my hands on it. I really appreciate the intricacy and detail. The amalgamated tag bearing his brand is brilliant.
View attachment 460657 View attachment 460658 View attachment 460659 View attachment 460660 View attachment 460661 View attachment 460662 View attachment 460663
Reg has been great! Keeping me updated and letting me know where things stand. The anticipation is killing me!

Great project!

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I decided to give Lost Worlds a call and I'm pretty confident a deerskin jean jacket would be a very nice choice... pricey, but they are the only ones offering a finished deerskin with some water repellency.

Which model are you going for?

Water repellency? But how else do you properly age a jacket than by wearing it in all weathers and allowing the climate to change the hide?

By wearing it often? ;)

Goel

A-List Customer
Which model are you going for?
Just the regular one, a type 3 I guess it would be. The main thing I'd want to know is how the range of movement is. Normally I like back gussets which are not an option here, but I figure if the pattern is good (as I've heard LW are) and if I use deerskin that's supposed to be stretchy, it might not be needed.

Or I could just go with JL which would be half the price with whatever customizations I want. But all of their deerskin (and bison) is that naked finish veg tan stuff I don't like.

Observe

One Too Many

red devil

Just the regular one, a type 3 I guess it would be. The main thing I'd want to know is how the range of movement is. Normally I like back gussets which are not an option here, but I figure if the pattern is good (as I've heard LW are) and if I use deerskin that's supposed to be stretchy, it might not be needed.

Or I could just go with JL which would be half the price with whatever customizations I want. But all of their deerskin (and bison) is that naked finish veg tan stuff I don't like.

Something like this then

1667137463640.png

In which colour? :)

I do not have any LW in this model - something I should address - so I cannot comment on the range of motion. Overall, as you say, LW jackets have good range of motion and deer should give you extra flexibility. When it comes to water repellence, keep in mind that although it will not be as good as the LW HH, it will keep you drier than most other jackets. @Carlos840 is riding with his moose jackets - similar to deer - under the rain and can comment further.

JL makes a great trucker as well, but as you say they use different hides. I suspect they could source chrome tanned deer if you asked them, but it would still not be the same as the one LW uses - their hides are made to spec.

Goel

A-List Customer
Something like this then

View attachment 461041
In which colour? :)

I do not have any LW in this model - something I should address - so I cannot comment on the range of motion. Overall, as you say, LW jackets have good range of motion and deer should give you extra flexibility. When it comes to water repellence, keep in mind that although it will not be as good as the LW HH, it will keep you drier than most other jackets. @Carlos840 is riding with his moose jackets - similar to deer - under the rain and can comment further.

JL makes a great trucker as well, but as you say they use different hides. I suspect they could source chrome tanned deer if you asked them, but it would still not be the same as the one LW uses - their hides are made to spec.
Yeah, I've already got myself a nice black half belt from JL and I feel like a brown deerskin would cover everything I could want... but I really dig the green (and navy!) they have as well. The finish is the main thing I like about LW deerskin though, JL's deerskin is a chrome tan but it has an aniline finish. I got a sample and it soaks up any liquid like a sponge, same for their bison. I could supply something myself but I'm finding it's rather hard to get a hold of good stuff in the retail market, and LW leathers really appeal to me. I just have to decide if it's worth the price of two JLs.

Unrelated to that but I'm considering giving Simmons Bilt another shot for a B6 this time. I would do Aero but I missed the 10% deal and SB has a more appealing selection of sheepskins. I really like the Ginger fur and black especially.

Last edited:

red devil

Yeah, I've already got myself a nice black half belt from JL and I feel like a brown deerskin would cover everything I could want... but I really dig the green (and navy!) they have as well. The finish is the main thing I like about LW deerskin though, JL's deerskin is a chrome tan but it has an aniline finish. I got a sample and it soaks up any liquid like a sponge, same for their bison. I could supply something myself but I'm finding it's rather hard to get a hold of good stuff in the retail market, and LW leathers really appeal to me. I just have to decide if it's worth the price of two JLs.

Unrelated to that but I'm considering giving Simmons Bilt another shot for a B6 this time. I would do Aero but I missed the 10% deal and SB has a more appealing selection of sheepskins. I really like the Ginger fur and black especially.

The blue deer is not as dark as the blue HH

2D7vuWd.jpg

Keep in mind that there is a variation between batches, this is probably two - three batches ago

One good option would be to buy another batch from Kokkolan, but I guess they will not allow you to buy small quantity anymore?

Simmons Bilt are likely the best value for money you can get of all brands we discuss here, let us know if you go for it :)

Bonasera

One of the Regulars
You’ve got an incredible collection. Sometimes I wish I were a 38. So many great opportunities.
Thanks. But 38-40 size jacket price is going higher every year...
Often feel a bit sad watching auction...
I was very lucky this time :D

Goel

A-List Customer
The blue deer is not as dark as the blue HH

2D7vuWd.jpg

Keep in mind that there is a variation between batches, this is probably two - three batches ago

One good option would be to buy another batch from Kokkolan, but I guess they will not allow you to buy small quantity anymore?

Simmons Bilt are likely the best value for money you can get of all brands we discuss here, let us know if you go for it :)
I like the look of the blue deer regardless, it's like an off black.

About Kokkolan, last I heard (I think from here?) they weren't doing elk leather. Anyways, they do have a minimum order amount which wouldn't work if I only need 2 or 3 hides at most. There is that website where they offload their seconds and odd small batches but like Maverick leather their options are all over the place in terms of quality and availability.

Thanks. But 38-40 size jacket price is going higher every year...
Often feel a bit sad watching auction...
I was very lucky this time :D

I guess that’s the flip side to being able to fit into many vtg jackets. More heartache of this kind.

You have some great, rare jackets. Always nice to see them.

These just reached @JMax who, again, is awesome enough to proxy 'em for me & who took the following photos. Confirmed HH. I'm super excited! To finally see the elusive Langlitz green label HH. My Wasteland gear is more than complete now, just need a double-barreled sawn-off.

4a9f92ab-bb8d-4175-a9c1-884d56da4bd3-jpeg.461414

a260d0cc-81b9-4dea-bbd0-ba48d94aae07-jpeg.461420

f86dac79-2b14-439d-bc32-038985634814-jpeg.461417

4b61a4dd-4ef2-4ddc-959b-dafe48f17b43-jpeg.461421

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana