Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to do this hairstyle?

Apolla

New in Town
Hi, I love 40s and 50s fashions and recently saw this ad for Kohler sinks at
http://www.us.kohler.com/craftsmanship/mag_ad_detail.jsp?magAd=candystore-large
I was wondering how to do this style. I've pretty much got how to do the rolls down-just need to practice pinning them and trying to get the cute curl to show in the middle. Do you all just use bobby pins to pin your rolls? Do you think a decorative pin or barrette would look okay? Mainly I'm wondering about the curls that are close to her face. Would they be pin curled? Could I use a curling iron? What kind of product? Before or after using the iron? Thanks!

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
That's a great ad, what is the little boy doing?

I like the hairstyle, but can't say I am a fan of the color. There is something about tortureing your hair with hydrogen peroxide that has never quite made sense to me.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What a great ad!! I too would suggest the same thread as Jitterbug:) Pin curls, victory rolls, a cinch!lol

As for blonde hair, I don't think the question was in regards to achieving a color, it was in regards to achieving a style. I'm pretty sure this is a painting, so her hairs got much worse chemicals in it than peroxide:) I actually don't know any person who uses peroxide for blonde anymore, but that must be because all the blondes I know are lucky enough to have naturally blonde hair. Some of my friends in the vintage community lighten their blonde locks a bit, but the chemical processes of today aren't as harmful. Besides, they already have the color, so they just use that little extra something to lighten the tone. I don't know of any dark haired girl who's gone that light recently.

As for the boy on the floor, he's eating candy. I know, shocking! After all, he is in a candy shoppe:D

JazzBaby

Practically Family
How about this style: (My hair is exactly that length, and this is such a cute 'do)

others_main.jpg

Side pic:

othersx.jpg

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
That's a fairly simply style to achieve, JazzBaby. :) You can use medium hot rollers for a hot set, or sponge rollers, rag curlers, or pin curls for a cold set. The trick is to roll the hair under and towards the face, let cool/dry, and then brush out with a medium round brush until you achieve the desired wave. For the second look, you can pull the hair back with combs or a thin headband.

r lush

New in Town
what an adorable ad! I love how the candy shop boy is staring at the gal, so cute. I just wish I could get my hair to look so sleek and put together! thanks for sharing that.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
Is he eating one of those candy necklaces? Remember they were on a thin elastic cord? Ew.
could be....I had one of those today, got them for the little ones (yah little, 13 and 8), flash backs to my childhood.

Naama

Practically Family
BegintheBeguine said:
Is he eating one of those candy necklaces? Remember they were on a thin elastic cord? Ew.

They are still availaible, at least over here!

Naama

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
They are still availaible, at least over here!

We sell them at the vintage soda fountain I work at, along with other retro candies that are hard to find these days. Does anyone remember the little candy buttons that were pasted to a paper card? Now those were gross, because you could never peel all the paper off the back of the candy. lol

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I remember those dots! You're right... they always tasted like paper! You can usually find these type of "old" candies at the dollar store. Man, I love the dollar store!!!

jitterbugdoll said:
We sell them at the vintage soda fountain I work at, along with other retro candies that are hard to find these days. Does anyone remember the little candy buttons that were pasted to a paper card? Now those were gross, because you could never peel all the paper off the back of the candy. lol

BitterEpiphany

Familiar Face
All of those candies are still available in my grocery store isle :) Dots and candy jewelery :)

I have a plastic necklace (bracelet and earrings too, actually) that looks just like a candy necklace. Let me tell you, more than one of my male friends has randomly grabbed my neck and tried to eat it from time to time. They always seem to forget it's plastic :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I remember those dots! You're right... they always tasted like paper! You can usually find these type of "old" candies at the dollar store. Man, I love the dollar store!!!

The funny thing is that my friends and I thought those were just wonderful when we were five, paper and all. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy