Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I’ve been watching Air Aces on the Military Channel and…

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I’m a bit disappointed in how inaccurate the uniforms are. They do such a great job at telling the story, but the reenactments are awful. The episode I was watching tonight showed AAF with a USMC garrison cover on and it was cocked so far off to the side it was ridiculous, in fact most of the covers were that way. I would have thought if they put that much effort into the story and aerial footage, that they would have put more effort into the details of the uniforms. The cover is just one example. There is a litany of others that I could mention. Has anyone else watched this show and noticed the bad uniforms?

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Actually, it was quite common for air crews to wear their covers in a non regulation way! I ave a copy of The Route As Briefed, about the 92nd Bombardment Group, and I think almost all of the crews have their hats on crocked.
000000-F-0000G-101_zps14280eab.jpg
keller_1_zps6d9a733b.jpg
herb-may-1_zpseb737072.jpg
post-59872-1331861116_zps493c0618.jpg

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I realize that they wore them cocked back in the day. However, this show has the characters wearing them almost sideways, like Napoleon's hat. So, I guess cocked was the wrong term. I should have said turned sideways. In an attempt to look cocked?

Last edited:

kampkatz

Practically Family
Many of the British seemed to have favored having the garrison cap so far over to one side that it looked like it had to be pinned on to keep from sliding off.

McGeezer

Familiar Face
If you look at pics of RAF and Luftwaffe enlisted personnel they wear what we called overseas or fore and aft caps at a more severe angle and referred to them as side caps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran