Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket shoulder vent identification request

Creeping Past

One Too Many
As often happens on days off, I've taken to appreciating the clothes in the movies and TV programmes I'm watching more than the plots.

There's no easy way of admitting these two things, but I've been viewing old Buffy episodes and I'm stumped by a particular kind of action back.

I want to know what the pleats in Giles's tweed jacket are called. Is there a specific name for pleats that stop just under the armhole and don't go the whole way down to a halfbelt?

Image follows, heaven help me:

giles2xl2.png

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
There is a specific name for it. I'll be danged if I can remember it though.

Maybe they are just sleeve vents or vented shoulders. I think I used to sometimes call it an action back, as opposed to a belted back.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I've heard it called an action back or bi-swing back (depending where you are from).

When specifying to a tailor, note that there are two types - one that goes straight down (often to a false half-belt) and another (as in the photo) that starts from the top of the shoulder and curves under the arms. I have a suit with this feature and it's very practical. I like it.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Unless I'm misreading photos on their site, which given my lack of general garment knowledge is possible, I don't see the 'around the shoulder' bi-swing on Aero jackets. That's a shame.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Creeping Past said:
Thanks, Thunder.

That'll help when asking a tailor to include that detail on a jacket I'm planning...

If you're looking for a tweed jacket with that feature, try tweed-jacket.com
they do great work, and the owner, is a member here. I think they call it an "action shoulder pleat." Also available with Alcantara trim. Great feature to have in a sport coat.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Thanks, Lone. I'm not convinced that that company's arm scye (I think this is the right term) is high enough or small enough for my purposes. There's a thread dealing with this subject somewhere. I can't locate it at the moment...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael