Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levi's Smart Jacket (It's the end of the world as we know it . . . and I DO NOT feel fine)

I can use the tech as a useful tool, but my 13-year-old daughter will, if allowed, sit on the computer/ipad/phone all day and all night, like a blue-light zombie. My opinion, limited by what I see in my own experience, is that the tech-social revolution has advanced so quickly that people haven't had time to gradually adjust to what can be done, and haven't stopped to consider the social ramifications. If misused, it can be McDonalds for the brain (or the opiate of the masses?).
Well said Benny. Exactly my thoughts as well.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
When I first read the topic title Levi's Smart Jacket, for some reason I thought they had gone into the three piece suit business. So, a man sitting in a denim jacket got to me(I still had not read the feature yet) because no matter how 'cool' denim can look, no way would I wear it to a business meeting even if Hugo Boss's that he never knew he had designed it himself.
As I read deeper, of course 'Smart' meant the all singing and dancing techno stuff I had only a slight interest in. I too am in Big J's frame of mind when it comes to one of his comments about the guy's with the Blue Tooth earpiece. I am so glad, though I embrace some of the techno stuff such as this computer I am using, you won't find me talking to my jeans.

Off topic(sort of)
Nice to see Mr Levi's being interviewed in his brand. I always wondered where would Mr McDonald would take a prospective client to dinner, especially if he had $,$$$,$$$ to invest? Would he take him to the most expensive fine dining on 5th Avenue, to which our guest may ask "Whats a matter with your burgers?".

Edward

Bartender
Apparently, one of the jacket's "capabilities" is it can only be washed 10 times, or maybe it's another Levi's Smart Jacket. Whatever. It's a way to separate people from their money.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/26/jacquard-google-levis-smart-jacket-denim

Can't see that being an issue for the hardcore denim head guys who boast of not washing their jeans for the first year or more....

So, a man sitting in a denim jacket got to me(I still had not read the feature yet) because no matter how 'cool' denim can look, no way would I wear it to a business meeting even if Hugo Boss's that he never knew he had designed it himself.

Depends on the industry, doesn't it? That would be absolutely the norm in the IT industry. My brother is a programmer; he owns one suit which he wears maybe once every eighteen months for a wedding or a funeral. There have been people from that world I've encountered who take great pride in never having owned a suit. The funny thing is how so many of them are oblivious to just how stuffy and old fashioned this makes them.

Off topic(sort of)
Nice to see Mr Levi's being interviewed in his brand. I always wondered where would Mr McDonald would take a prospective client to dinner, especially if he had $,$$$,$$$ to invest? Would he take him to the most expensive fine dining on 5th Avenue, to which our guest may ask "Whats a matter with your burgers?".

Doubtful: there ain't been a Mr Macdonald in charge of the golden arches since Ray Kroc bought them out in '61....

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Can't see that being an issue for the hardcore denim head guys who boast of not washing their jeans for the first year or more....

Depends on the industry, doesn't it? That would be absolutely the norm in the IT industry. My brother is a programmer; he owns one suit which he wears maybe once every eighteen months for a wedding or a funeral. There have been people from that world I've encountered who take great pride in never having owned a suit. The funny thing is how so many of them are oblivious to just how stuffy and old fashioned this makes them.

Doubtful: there ain't been a Mr Macdonald in charge of the golden arches since Ray Kroc bought them out in '61....

Yes I guess it can depend on the industry but I still think an executive officer type should dress as a manager. Old guys in a denim jackets at a business meeting just would not look right in my mind. Sunday out for fun? Yes, walking the dog etc yes all the way. personally I don't believe in dress down at higher management level, I'm not in the office but should I be granted that chore I would wear my best (genuine) Crombie with shirt and tie and some highly polished shoes especially if investing visitors were present, rather than our own managers preference to an casual slacks and an open shirt.
I guess I'm just old fashioned, but then a lot of us whom frequent these forums are ;)

As for Mr McDonald selling out, I knew that but really Mr Mac could be any businessman, as could Mr Levi.
Seeya.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Ha ha! I don't think I've ever seen so many bartenders on one thread before.

@ton312, black & gold, nice! Was it you that posted a black and gold motorcycle a few months back as well? (Or was that Monitor?).

I haven't got anything against nerds or geeks, I'm sure there are people who would consider some of my hobbies and interests 'nerdy' or 'geeky'. And I wouldn't dare label IT professionals as nerds or geeks. I think I'd rather target that certain portion of 'early adopters' who aren't so much interested in pushing the envelope of tech to the bleeding edge, but rather what I consider (for want of any better term) the 'Not you!' early adopters who seem to regards buying the very latest gadget as merely another aspect conspicuous consumption aimed at telling 'the rest of us' how 'successful' they are. It's a kind of overcompensating for their insecurities. But conversely, my hat is truly off to all the pioneers out there who do these things without the intention of impressing me with how cool they are. It just makes them so much cooler when I am impressed!

I think Benny summed it up well. It's about functionality. If I bought a Ducati to blast around on, I'd want the very best and most modern technology in my helmet and back protector. I'm not a Luddite. When my girls start driving, they're going to get a car with airbags, ABS, seat belts and collapsing steering columns. Just not my cup of tea.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
See, now I have a mental image of me with double-denim dad jeans, trying (and failing) to work out how to use the tech in my jacket while all the cool kids make fun of me.
How the hell does this jacket go with a mullet? Any Germans here got answers?

Edward

Bartender
Yes I guess it can depend on the industry but I still think an executive officer type should dress as a manager. Old guys in a denim jackets at a business meeting just would not look right in my mind. Sunday out for fun? Yes, walking the dog etc yes all the way. personally I don't believe in dress down at higher management level, I'm not in the office but should I be granted that chore I would wear my best (genuine) Crombie with shirt and tie and some highly polished shoes especially if investing visitors were present, rather than our own managers preference to an casual slacks and an open shirt.
I guess I'm just old fashioned, but then a lot of us whom frequent these forums are ;)

Ha, no, you're not alone there. I've heard of research being done into this issue regarding bank managers: people in general, not just folks like us, want to see their bank manager formally dressed (even if they would never dream of wearing a tie to see him). IT seems to be an industry which bucks that general trend. For now, at least: all it takes is for the next big IT colossus to start wearing a suit....

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’m really surprised by the whole failure of google glass. As the main issue seemed to be the ability to record or take pics without anyone knowing just I expected them to release a version that couldn’t take pics or video...I’m REALLY surprised this hasn’t happened tbh.

I still expect it or something like it to take off as soon as Augmented Reality becomes, well a reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@ProteinNerd, I'm not surprised really.
Wearing google glass is maybe like Bluetooth earpieces from 10 years ago; wearing it all the time, even when you're not actually using it just seems so desperately uncool and trying to hard.
William Gibson wrote in the only good book he ever wrote (Neuromancer) about 'a certain relaxed disdain', and that's the exact opposite of how people wearing these products seem to come across IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner