Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for hat style suggestions

Orangegrad

Practically Family
I'm fairly new to my interest in hats. So far, I own a couple inexpensive stingy brim hats, like the Dorfman you see in this picture (my 18-year-old daughter has gotten them for me). My wife and daughter will be ordering a Panama Bob Cuenca for me for Father's day. I'm thinking I like the Havana style, but I'm not sure which style would look best on me. I'm also thinking about looking for a fur felt fedora for the fall/winter.

Given that I have a rather long and thin face, and stand 5'6" with a wiry frame, any suggestions on hat styles I might want to consider - and those I should probably stay away from?

Thanks.

-Andy

DSCN0874.jpg

Hi Andy,

You might consider adding some taller crowns and wider brims to your collection. Having an 18 year old fashion consultant in the family is the best... I'd recommend paying close attention to that advice.

Welcome to the Fedora Lounge!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Welcome. The single best thing you can do is go to a haberdashery and try on hats of various proportions. It's now very hard to find new hats with old school proportions. But it's not a given that you would prefer those anyway. So go to a store and try various hats. You may figure out exactly what works for you. The worse that can happen is that you learn to rule out what doesn't. Ultimately, it's a matter of personal style and comfort.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Andy,

You might consider adding some taller crowns and wider brims to your collection.

I think that is true. The shown hat I don't think is so good on you. Too much of a hipster type hat for you. Once you depart from that style, one of the decisions is "dressy" versus "casual." Dressy would mean a vintage fedora of some kind (sort of inexpensive and a wide variety of styles), a Borsalino, dress Stetsons, dress Akubras. Casual would be like vintage Stetson Open Road, or Campdraft model of Akubra, and a range of others. There is also the outback kind of hat, but you already know what those look like. Anyway my crystal ball sees a lot of hat trying-on in your future to nail down the best half dozen styles and colors for yourself.

job

One Too Many
If a store is too far away and you will order one online I would suggest a Stylemaster from Akubra. It is moderate in every way. It is a hat that is really a middle of the road fedora that most people will look good wearing. Without trying a hat on first I would also suggest staying away from homburgs, large brim hats etc. until you can try one on first.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Panama Bob is THE way to go for a Panama, GREAT person to deal with and he has the BEST Panama's for the price. With your lean face I would stay with a 2 1/2" brim regardless of the style of crease you get.
As for a felt, an Akubra Stylemaster is a great choice, I have 3, as well as the Sydney which is basically the same hat less the bound edge on the brim, it is what's called a raw edge, and it is an Open Crown which you can crease yourself. It is NOT hard, a good steam kettle and patience and you can have a hat that is YOURS :) I get my Akubra's from David Morgan up in Seattle because he can get you an Akubra in 3/4 days at a FIXED shpg. cost for ANY style he carries. (he is the US importer for Akubra). Here's a link to DM for ya : http://www.davidmorgan.com/index.php?cPath=2_22 . Welcome to the group and enjoy what you get :)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yep - wider brim definately.

And thinking back to another post (on old & new celebrity look-alikes), and meaning absolutely NO disrespect at all - you look a lot like James Ellroy, writer of The Black Dahlia, L.A. Confidential and others. Ellroy's partial to 50s & stingier brimmed Fedoras...it seems to suit him so I expect it would you as well. But not as stingy a brim as what you're wearing.

Big_e

Practically Family
If a store is too far away and you will order one online I would suggest a Stylemaster from Akubra. It is moderate in every way. It is a hat that is really a middle of the road fedora that most people will look good wearing. Without trying a hat on first I would also suggest staying away from homburgs, large brim hats etc. until you can try one on first.

+1. Seems like you can't go wrong with an Akubra. I may have to get one soon. Failing that the Stetson Sovereign is the hat I'd recommend. The 2 1/2 inch brim is just right and it's just a good all around hat.
Ernest

For trying on hats, you might try Mike the Hatter in downtown Cleveland. He has a decent selection of fur and straw hats. That way you can at least see what looks good on you for future reference ie, crown shape and brim sizes. I agree, taller crown and wider brim for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner