Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM costs for separate components

Ricko

New in Town
From what I've gathered by reading the various forums, the cost range of a satisfactory MTM shirt would be in the price range of $100-200 dollars depending on the material. What have you found to be the average cost range for MTM trousers and vest(waistcoat)? Thank you!

Ricko

New in Town
I'm able to fill in some of the blanks to my question as I talked with a clothier and a custom tailor this evening.
Per the clothier, MTM trousers start in the $500 per pair price range. This breaks down to 250-300 for labor and $100-200 per yd. for Loro Piana worsted wool.

The custom tailor I spoke with quoted a price of $250 per pair labor and I supply him with 2 1/2 yds. of material for each pair of trousers.

This leads me to my next question as to a source for swatches of Loro Piana material for selection of, and the sale of yardage requirements once the selection is made. I really have no clue as to if the price I stated above is reasonable for a yd. of Loro Piana material.

Ricko

New in Town
Hello Marty,
The reason I've picked out the Loro Piana is while I was at the retail clothier store, the salesman directed me towards bolts of material "ends" and also to small books containing what appeared to be 4x6 swatch samples of the said material broken down by 100's. This was because I started talking mtm trousers. One book contained colored swatches of 110's, another 130's, etc. These sample books were great for viewing and feel. Unfortunately as the salesman continued with his pitch, I could see cost adding up. First there was his cost and mark-up on getting the material, then getting the material in and forwarding it to the MTM makers who added their mark-up, etc.
Where as the custom tailor I spoke with later, gave me a flat price for doing up some trousers and I supplied the fabric of my choice.
So Marty, the material was the only one presented to me at the time that I could actually go through a swatch book and feel the material. I must say that I liked the material and wouldn't mind if I had to go with that brand. He did quote a price range of $100-200 per yard. I have no idea if that is reasonable or not.
I'm finding on the forums that most conversation is directed towards mtm shirts and clothing styles. I'd hoped of seeing more towards where one can view and order fabrics so that one could use the independant custom tailor more without having to go through the local clothier and feeding his whole supply chain!
Marty, thank you for taking an interest in my question though. Any help you can give is certainly appreciated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner