Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Johnson Horsehide Jacket

technovox

One Too Many
I wasn't really intending to post this jacket, just because this is probably not typical of Johnson Leathers and I made a lot of mods. But since there were some inquiries, here it is: my latest jacket from Johnson Leathers was again based on a M200-J. I love the functionality and simplicity of this particular design - I had them make me one in the famous Chromexcel Horween overdyed black a while back. But this time I knew I didn't want anything that thick and heavy.
Again I added an extra inch to the length of the body, and 2 inches to the sleeves. Luckily Alan at Johnson Leathers had some vintage brass Talon zips stored away, and he found some smaller brass buckles that were perfect for the side straps. And he also had a wonderfully soft plaid cotton lining. It's such a pleasure to work with him. I requested the sleeve zips be placed on top. I also specified an inside horizontal pocket with snap, and that all pockets lined with corduroy instead of the usual leather. No gussets or action back, just a simple yoke.
The hardest part was selecting the hide. To that end, Alan and I had many discussions about sourcing horsehide from a number of possibilities -yet none of them were really panning out. One day, while visiting, I spotted a beautiful hide he had draped over the counter, in a very distinctive shade of brown with black overtones. Alan said it was the last of a particular batch of Horween horsehide, "Vermont." (From what I've come to learn, Horween's "Vermont" hide is a "full grain" hide in a 1.5-2.5 oz weight, in a combo chrome/vegetable dye. To source it directly from Horween would have set me back around $500... assuming it was available in the same color.) Alan didn't know if he had enough hide left to make a jacket, but he confirmed with his cutter a few days later. My lucky day.
The end result is that this is one of the most comfortable jackets I've ever owned. The leather is supple, and has a rich feel to the touch. Not too heavy, but still some weight to it, with loads of character and luster. The jacket is versatile enough to layer a sweater underneath, or just wear with a casual t-shirt. This one has quickly become my daily wearer and all time favorite. Big thanks to Alan for being so flexible, patient, and accommodating.
HHJMain.JPG back.JPG backCU.JPG Buckle.JPG buckle2.JPG Collar.JPG detail2.JPG extpocket.JPG intpocket.JPG label.JPG lining.JPG MeFront.JPG MeFrontCU.JPG

GregO

One of the Regulars
Great jacket, beautiful leather, and perfect fit. Well done.

As I just posted in another thread, I'm enjoying the lighter weight hides far more than the heavy stuff these days.

Yep, perfect. +1 on ever praise in this thread.

Technovox, out of curiosity; how so you requested the sleeve zippers to be placed on top? I've requested the same for my Aero because I thought it looks great, but I'm somewhat bothered by it...

technovox

One Too Many
Yep, perfect. +1 on ever praise in this thread.

Technovox, out of curiosity; how so you requested the sleeve zippers to be placed on top? I've requested the same for my Aero because I thought it looks great, but I'm somewhat bothered by it...

My first leather jacket with zippers on the top of the sleeves was a vintage Kehoe cafe racer, and I loved it. My Himel cafe racer also has the zippers on the top of the sleeves. Overall, I find leather jacket zip sleeves quite functional for adjusting to the mercurial weather here San Francisco. When the zips are on the bottom, I'm always turning my sleeve over to check if it's zipped up or not. When on top -a quick visual check is easier. And they stand out a bit more- perhaps a nod to more of a rock'n'roll/punk style. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Yep, I requested the zip on the top for the same reason, a bit of a nod to R'n'R and I always thought they look really awesome on a jacket, especially on the CR style (I actually do remember looking at the photos of your Himel CR and thinking so) but in practice, I find them slightly bothersome. In example, when I pull on the throttle, the zippers push into my hand - not a problem, but I get reminded they're there each time - and I'm not too fond of having them collecting all the rain... So I'm thinking that the top of the sleeve perhaps isn't an ideal position for sleeve zippers but then again, half the MC jackets from to 50's had 'em that way and also, Lewis Leathers.

Well, it don't matter. Again, truly incredible jacket!

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Fantastic jacket mate! That looks superb, a nice weight too...I'm used to big heavy jackets, and might like a lighter one for a change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183