Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

Mike K.

One Too Many
That's really great information to know...thanks fedoralover!!

Out of curiosity, are there any other Good Wear jacket owners out there who can provide similar feedback. It would be beneficial to know how other A-2 contracts fit in comparison to the Dubow (when made the correct/authentic J. Chapman way).

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Oh no you've gone and done it there Fedoralover! After deciding on getting the 27753 you go and post this Dubow. Now I'm going to have to have a rethink :eusa_doh:

Beautiful jacket you got there :eusa_clap

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Here's a couple pics after a week or so just to show how some of the grain is starting to come out. I've noticed that unless there is inherent grain already in the leather it will always be smooth. The right front panel is staying smooth while the left one is getting a lot of grain. In the arms it's just the opposite with the right one getting grain and very little in the left. It makes a nice mix of unmatched hides.
IMG20071102_20080425_0001_6.jpg

IMG20071102_20080425_0001_7.jpg

IMG20071102_20080425_0001_5.jpg

fedoralover

CBI

One Too Many
Goodwear A-2 with 4th Fighter Group Artwork

My "new" Goodwear inspired by 4th Fighter Group ace - Pierce "Mac" McKennon and his "Ridge Runner" P-47/P-51 nose art

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0736-1.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

A FEW ADDED CLOSE-UPS

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

I FORGOT TO MENTION, I DID SOME EXPERIMENTING A LITTLE AND ADDED WEAR TO THE SEAMS WITH PAINT. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME. IN PERSON, IMPOSSIBLE TO TELL ITS PAINT.

IMG_0811.jpg

CBI

One Too Many
Its my first attempt at painting a jacket myself. I have been experimenting on leather swatches for quite some time now with all types of paints, primers, sealers, etc. Bending, folding, trying to destroy the paint job seeing what is the most durable over an extended time. I painted a few test patches recently and then decided to take the time to paint this jacket. After all of the thought, planning, etc. the actual painting did not take very long and I really enjoyed doing it. The wife likes it and I plan on doing a few more. I simply wanted to make sure I got exactly want I wanted in re a paint job so I decided to do it myself. I do have a little graphics/art background. The main thing was to get the period look/aging as close to correct as I could. Still learning but it’s a fun “new” hobby. Too bad I can’t seem to find the time to do it. Pierce McKennon was born in Fort Smith, Arkansas (hence the Arkansas Razorback) and I currently live in the same city so it made sense to do this. Also, I love the boxing eagle and 8th AF insignias so it all “worked” in terms of all of the insignia I wanted on a jacket.

Oh - enamel paint since that's probably the kind of paint used in WWII, whatever was in the aircraft repair shed.

CBI

One Too Many
thanks so much. I can't wait to do another one - so many choices of great nose/jacket art!!!!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Very nicely done!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

My grandfather had a very similar jacket when he served with the 4th. The biggest difference was that his had the boxing eagle emblazoned across the entire back panel of the jacket! Unfortunately it dry rotted and somebody threw away the jacket before I managed to get to it. :(

CBI

One Too Many
d'oh!!!!!! I hate it when that happens. A great jacket that ends up getting destroyed. Sorry to hear it. The 4th FG insignia is one of my favorites.

thanks.

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
Excellent attention to detail, but your first project on a Goodwear :eek: thank goodness you didn't screw the pooch, I wouldn't have been so bold, maybe a mall jacket or something and then move on to a GW. Well, good thing it turned out ok.

CBI

One Too Many
I had done some practice painting of all the insignias on leather swatches first. I bought the GW used for a song so very little risk really.

Edward

Bartender
Looks very period, well done! Is the original on display anywhere? Would be great to have a photo of the two together, were that possible.

CBI

One Too Many
thanks so much. I came up with this grouping of insignia:

Pierce MacKennon was in the 4th Fighter Group (breast patch), the 4th was part of the 8th AF (one of the first units) so I used the ealier "stubby wing" 8th insignia. MacKennon's plane was the Ridger Runner so I copied the nose art.

So, many cool ideas, my next jacket is 6 different jacket/insignia paint schemes that I just can't decide on.

Lots of fun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy