Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nylon, Cotton, or Wool lining?

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
I'm thinking about buying a LW Trojan, and noticed they've got a deluxe version on their specials page with custom zippers and wool lining. It's not much more than the stock model would be once you factor in the cost of the belt, so even though it's more money than I'm comfortable spending on a jacket, I'm considering it.

Question is, just how much warmer is a typical wool lined jacket compared to a similar jacket with nylon or cotton lining? I think of wool as a warmer fabric, but I always read in outdoors magazines how wool has superior insulation qualities for keeping cool when it's hot, and hot when it's cool, regardless of moisture, etc. Same deal with wool suits.

Peacoat

Bartender
The wool lining is probably a thin lining and not that much warmer than cotton. You will be somewhat warmer, but I still need a vest or sweater when the temp gets below 40F, unless I am engaged in an activity that generates heat, such as walking. At least that has been my experience with the Aero Alpaca lining.

Despite anecdotal comments to the contrary, I have never found wool to keep me cool when it is warm outside.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Peacoat said:
The wool lining is probably a thin lining and not that much warmer than cotton. You will be somewhat warmer, but I still need a vest or sweater when the temp gets below 40F, unless I am engaged in an activity that generates heat, such as walking. At least that has been my experience with the Aero Alpaca lining.

Despite anecdotal comments to the contrary, I have never found wool to keep me cool when it is warm outside.

I was very disappointed in the Aero alpaca lining I used in one of my jackets. I agree with Peacoat in his assessment. I actually just sent my jacket back and I am having it relined.

It also depends on how easily you get cold. I get cold very easy and generally need more insulation than others. My budy can wear a light jacket in single digit temperatures and be fine. Id keep that in mind as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24