Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre-1950s British/European sportswear and leisurewear

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
This is a 1930s football training top from the film The Arsenal Stadium Mystery:

trainingtop_zps18d1bf48.jpg

Circa 1990 Marks and Spencer sold a very similar top in heavy blue cotton drill that was called a 'training top'. I believe it was intended to be a direct copy of mid 20th century football training kit.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here's Bonar Colleano in the 1950 film 'Pool of London':
PoolofLondon5.jpg

PoolofLondon1.jpg

I'm wondering if this is the same jacket, worn by Harry Fowler in the film 'I Believe in You'. Both films were made by the same company, in the same year:
It has the same button across flap at the waistband as on Coleano's jacket
Fowler7_zps77d13f81.jpg

however this flap isn't always visible, making me think they might have used two similar jackets in 'I Believe in You' (a hole disappears half way through one scene suggesting the jackets were swapped at some point during filming)
Fowler9_zps1768cdf6.jpg

Fowler8_zps90dcf228.jpg

rear view
Fowler4_zps7b48c0a2.jpg

Out of interest, in this shot you can see a man in the background in an interesting leisure shirt.
Fowlerandotherjumperinbackground_zps9e593b5d.jpg

Earlier in the film Fowler had worn the same shirt
fowlerjacket2_zpscc66775d.jpg

fowlerjacket2front_zpsde7aaab2.jpg

nightandthecity

Practically Family
"I believe in You" is far from alone in this TT. A lot of these mid-20th century films weren't too hot on continuity. Re-watching Hunted recently I noticed that Dirk Bogarde actually wears at least two different leather jackets, possibly three. And in some of the publicity stills he seems to wear yet another.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Hunted is currently sitting in the pile of DVDs waiting to be watched. Somewhere in the 'Show Us Their Suits' thread I have posted pics of actors in various films wearing the same outfits (including one jacket seen in four films - Pool of London, The Woman in Question, The Blue Lamp and I Believe in You)

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I'll be interested to hear your opinion on the jackets. When Dirk Bogarde first appears in a leather jacket he seems to be wearing a Lewis Lumber (or very similar) but it has a one-piece back, unlike the modern LL version, which has a three-piece back (The modern version's back is of course based on the Countryman in their archive, and not on an original Lumber). However, in a couple of scenes what looks like the same jacket may have a two piece back (one vertical seam) so there may have been two of these Lumber style jackets.

Later on he is very definitely wearing a different jacket with (IIRC) no front yoke, and what looks like an unusual ribbed leather waist strip at the back. In addition, I also found a publicity still (can't remember where) in which he is wearing yet another jacket - what looks like a Lewis Countryman - the very different pockets were clearly visible.

If i get the time I'll try and watch it again just to pause it and checkout the jackets!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Yes, that's the first jacket that he wears. And I've just noticed another thing that's different about that jacket from the current Lewis Lumber - DB's jacket clearly has button flaps to the pockets, the current jacket has press studs.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
ADD-DB-HUNTED-DB-Jonsickonboat-fofpic.jpg 00000bee_big.jpg
this is the second (or third) jacket, the non-lumber he wears towards the end of the film. Note the absence of front yoke seams. I can't find a still of the distinctive rear waist.

Last edited:

Cherry picker

New in Town
This is a rather curious jacket. I can't tell if it is leather or a rubberised jacket. It is from the film 'The Foreman Went to France' (1942):

Foremanwenttofrance1.jpg

Foremanwenttofrance2.jpg

I have a jacket that looks very similar to this,made by Wareings (who also made Irvins,Denisons etc).It also has a brass DOT zipper.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
http://www.moviemail.com/film/dvd/Hunted/

several great stills of the later jacket on this page. I particularly like this one, good clear close up. Pretty sure that's an Irvin style Lightning zip. If you enlarge it you can also see it has faux patch pockets - they are inset like a LL Countryman but the pocket bag is then stitched through from the top so it looks like a patch pocket - I have a couple of jackets like that. Hunted-8463_17.jpg

Unfortunately I can't find any clear images of the jacket backs, but both the Lumber style and this one seem to have one piece backs, except in a couple of scenes where he wears a Lumber style which may have a two piece back (film not very clear). And I can't find the totally different jacket (looks like a LL Countryman) used in at least one publicity still!

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
German 30's casual summer shirt-jacket - obviously meant to be worn over the trousers.
Fabric is linen. The collar is a so called "Schiller collar":

Somm2.jpg

Somm1.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Wonderful thread.

My modest contribution a 1930s era French fencing uniform. Off white/natural canvas, lightly padded jacket.

408593980.jpg

408593981.jpg

A nice shot of the back that shows how the four separate pieces are put together to give the wearer freedom of movement.
408593982.jpg

408593983.jpg

Did I mention I love high waisted trousers with forward pleats ;)
408593984.jpg

408593979.jpg

One day I fancy having a copy done up in my size for traditional dueling sabre fencing. One day.

I know this is for pre-50s, but I'll include this calf one. It was made by a lady for her husband in the early 1950s. I bought it from the family, and that's the story. This style of Lightning zipper was introduced in the early 50s and continued in production until the early 1960s. this is an interesting jacket with a godawful collar and very rustic pocket flaps. Also the arms were inserted as if they were shirt arms (wrong!) which leads to the exposed seam running in an ugly manner down the front of the arm. I also believe the arms have been put onto the wrong arms. A labour of love! I will be taking out and properly attaching the arms as time allows.

Handmade1950sBritishLeather1.jpg Handmade1950sBritishLeather2.jpg Handmade1950sBritishLeather3.jpg Handmade1950sBritishLeather4.jpg Handmade1950sBritishLeather5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran