Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre-1950s British/European sportswear and leisurewear

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Great stuff - someone should replicate these. Jumpers that you wear with a tie!

I'd be interested to see a full shot of the collar worn by the chap in the boater - it looks to be a very pointed soft collar.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Great stuff - someone should replicate these. Jumpers that you wear with a tie!

Old Town have done a version called the Hemsby which has a dark stripe across the chest.
it resembles the thicker ones, though the collar isn't as deep.

cricket_jumpers_HI_RES_zps1b1444a4.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Faux-Suede/Moleskin zipper jacket with RIES zippers. Elasticated sides.
SAM_7256.jpg

Zipped cardigan... a conversion I made myself:
SAM_7260.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
No labels at all - it is also entirely unlined. The cut is 1930s, the zippers may hint more towards 40-50's.
Possibly home-sewn - as there is a lot of wonk with the seams.
I added the knit cuffs to extend the sleeves.

DAJE

One of the Regulars
1941 - French POWs in Germany. Quite a variety of sweaters. But I like the zipped jacket best, as one might have guessed.

Interesting (to me) that a couple of them are wearing knee-length puttees; by the 40s most armies had switched to gaiters and those still wearing puttees had mostly switched to ankle-length short puttees.

Perhaps they are wearing leftover WW1 gear - it was only 20-25 years old at that stage and might have been sitting in French warehouses, and been supplied to French PoWs. The trousers look much more like WW1 than WW2 uniforms to me, too, though some officers were still wearing breeches in the 40s.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Interesting (to me) that a couple of them are wearing knee-length puttees; by the 40s most armies had switched to gaiters and those still wearing puttees had mostly switched to ankle-length short puttees.

Perhaps they are wearing leftover WW1 gear - it was only 20-25 years old at that stage and might have been sitting in French warehouses, and been supplied to French PoWs. The trousers look much more like WW1 than WW2 uniforms to me, too, though some officers were still wearing breeches in the 40s.

In the earl stages of WW2 the Germans issued all manner of uniforms to prisoners of war. Such as these British POWs wearing French kepis (at Stalag 8b):
NormanBarnett8BArbeitskommando_zpsd4011235.jpg

and these Brits are wearing a mix of uniforms:
EricReeves1941_zpsbbe324e1.jpg

It appears the Germans simply emptied enemy barracks of whatever clothing they found and issued it to POWs regardless of nationality. The chap seated on the left of the picture above spent the winter of 1940 wearing a floor length Polish cavalryman's greatcoat.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I see so many beautiful jackets on this forum, but every now and then one shows up that really tugs at your heart. That LaFont corduroy does it for me: a true "grail" jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy