Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quintessential modern production fedora.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Stetson Whippet in natural:
036.jpg

037.jpg

I do have a question, when looking at this model online it appears it is offered with a much lighter colored ribbon. Did you customize the ribbon or have it changed or is it just the lighting in the photos?
Thanks,
M
It really looks like I will have to order one of these after Christmas!!! I am really liking that natural color!!!

This is an old thread that I’m bringing back. A couple years ago the leaders were a few models of Akubra, the limited production Penman Everyman, and a few Stetsons. There were others, but those were the most mentioned.

I’ll admit to not keeping up with the bankruptcy and reorganization of Borsalino. I do know that they are quite expensive, which is not necessarily to say not a good value. The Stetsonian was the most referenced Stetson and it has been discontinued (typical Hat-Co). Akubras have more fans and haters than any other brand, but I don’t think anyone will say they make high quality fedoras; sturdy value hats, but not something that could be called the quintessential fedora.

Like it or not, Stetson is still one of the only choices for readily available modern production fedoras. The Excellent Stratoliner is now gone, but the Premier Royal DeLuxe Stratoliner is still available and a great hat. The Royal DeLuxe Open Road has received lots of good reviews and it’s on my short list to try.

However, since the original question was for the quintessential modern production fedora, I have to give my vote to the Stetson New York LE. This is an Excellent grade hat made of 100% beaver. The 2 5/8” underwelt brim is well-executed and a nice change from all the bound brims in this price range. I also think that this brim treatment lends itself to being dressed down easier than a bound brim. The 5.5” open crown would ideally be taller but there is something that makes up for that deficiency: the felt. The felt isn’t just made from beaver fur, it is shockingly close to some the better vintage felt. This is the felt we thought Stetson could no longer make. The hand is outstanding and the felt is so malleable and takes any shape you want without a fus. They aren’t inexpensive, but they also aren’t cheap...if you know what I mean. I don’t want to over sell this hat. I’ll concede that high end hats from the 40s and earlier were/are better, but this felt is a worthy descendant of those hats.

Now I’m curious, am I missing something? What other options in production hats deserve some consideration? We’re looking for the quintessential modern production fedora so bring out your best.

And if Hat-Co is listening; bring back the Stetsonian and make it in the Excellent grade 100% beaver! What a corker that would be!

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
This is an old thread that I’m bringing back. A couple years ago the leaders were a few models of Akubra, the limited production Penman Everyman, and a few Stetsons. There were others, but those were the most mentioned.

I’ll admit to not keeping up with the bankruptcy and reorganization of Borsalino. I do know that they are quite expensive, which is not necessarily to say not a good value. The Stetsonian was the most referenced Stetson and it has been discontinued (typical Hat-Co). Akubras have more fans and haters than any other brand, but I don’t think anyone will say they make high quality fedoras; sturdy value hats, but not something that could be called the quintessential fedora.

Like it or not, Stetson is still one of the only choices for readily available modern production fedoras. The Excellent Stratoliner is now gone, but the Premier Royal DeLuxe Stratoliner is still available and a great hat. The Royal DeLuxe Open Road has received lots of good reviews and it’s on my short list to try.

However, since the original question was for the quintessential modern production fedora, I have to give my vote to the Stetson New York LE. This is an Excellent grade hat made of 100% beaver. The 2 5/8” underwelt brim is well-executed and a nice change from all the bound brims in this price range. I also think that this brim treatment lends itself to being dressed down easier than a bound brim. The 5.5” open crown would ideally be taller but there is something that makes up for that deficiency: the felt. The felt isn’t just made from beaver fur, it is shockingly close to some the better vintage felt. This is the felt we thought Stetson could no longer make. The hand is outstanding and the felt is so malleable and takes any shape you want without a fus. They aren’t inexpensive, but they also aren’t cheap...if you know what I mean. I don’t want to over sell this hat. I’ll concede that high end hats from the 40s and earlier were/are better, but this felt is a worthy descendant of those hats.

Now I’m curious, am I missing something? What other options in production hats deserve some consideration? We’re looking for the quintessential modern production fedora so bring out your best.

And if Hat-Co is listening; bring back the Stetsonian and make it in the Excellent grade 100% beaver! What a corker that would be!
Great idea to bring back this thread Brent.
I’ll have to round up my Premier Strat of 2014 i got from Matt Deckard. Hopefully there are more members with examples to share as well.
B

I love the Stetsonian, but since it’s been discontinued I don’t think it fits. What modern hat can anyone go out and buy today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is there one? Or is it a matter of buying the best of a mediocre lot or even the least worst? I looked at a number of Borsalinos in Bernie Utz's shop in Seattle and overall was appalled by the poor workmanship in a $350 hat. I have some modern Robert Hall, Biltmore, Miller (Biltmore) and of course Stetson and they are all workmanlike hats but for the quality and price point would not repeat buying them now that I have experienced a custom hat. And I would include the Stetsonian in that group if they were still made. The felt is great but that crap stock ribbon work in black just does not cut it. The only rationale I can think of for buying a modern production hat is that you can pick one up and walk out of the shop wearing it.......no delayed gratification of the wait for a custom.

Is there one? Or is it a matter of buying the best of a mediocre lot or even the least worst? I looked at a number of Borsalinos in Bernie Utz's shop in Seattle and overall was appalled by the poor workmanship in a $350 hat. I have some modern Robert Hall, Biltmore, Miller (Biltmore) and of course Stetson and they are all workmanlike hats but for the quality and price point would not repeat buying them now that I have experienced a custom hat. And I would include the Stetsonian in that group if they were still made. The felt is great but that crap stock ribbon work in black just does not cut it. The only rationale I can think of for buying a modern production hat is that you can pick one up and walk out of the shop wearing it.......no delayed gratification of the wait for a custom.

I’m with you. Custom is the way to go, but few of those who are new to fedoras are ready to jump into a custom hat. If we’re recommending the best current production gateway hat what would it be? I’m sticking with the Stetson New York LE.

I’m with you. Custom is the way to go, but few of those who are new to fedoras are ready to jump into a custom hat. If we’re recommending the best current production gateway hat what would it be? I’m sticking with the Stetson New York LE.

I was just in Seattle but consciously avoided visiting Bernie Utz.....temptation avoidance but now I wish I had and might have been able to handle the NY LE. Have yet to see one in captivity.

I am travelling down to Eugene OR area and will pop in to see Mike at NW Hats. This is a great question to ask him as he runs a bricks and mortar shop and presumably handles many production hats in his shop.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
There's a place for modern production fedoras, we're just a picky a bunch - and we're not the market for most of these hats anyways.

The Premiere Strat is a good hat that looks good on a fair variety of face shapes and builds (its one of those designs that's versatile like that). I hope Hatco is able to keep the quality up post-Deckard.

The excellent quality felt in my Fortune and Glory is absolutely the nicest felt Hatco has produced that I've personally handled. In terms of modern Stetsons, that's between Sovereign, Royal, Royal deluxe, 6x, 10x, and Excellent quality. Incredibly soft hand, shapes easily, and just the right amount of stiffener. It didn't take this felt long to get 'broken in.' I usually cock my hats to the left a bit, with just a gentle tug of the brim when it's on my head. The fortune and Glory now has a nice jaunty off-center dip in the flange which I love, and it's one of those things where the hat just kind of tells you how it wants to be. I wish there were more open crown offerings in the Excellent quality felt, because even at the $325-$345 price tags these hats were going for, they were an excellent value if you consider the price of 100% beaver customs (Art is $385, Optimo is $750, Penman is $550, etc).

And nobody needs to hear my gripes about Hatco's ribbon work again, but I'd still stand by saying those hats were/are absolutely fairly priced for what you are getting.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21