Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Royal Crown Pomade

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
I was downtown today and came across a can of Royal Crown pomade at one of the few mom n' pop drugstores left around here,and had to get it (the price was too good to pass up.)Has anyone else heard of/used this product?The ingredient list is pleasantly short,petrolatum,olive oil,fragrance.

Boris K

One of the Regulars

Cufflinkmaniac

Search for pomade to find much information on this site. One such thread containing information on Royal Crown is the
Haircuts thread.

marineabilly

A-List Customer
Boris K said:
Cufflinkmaniac

Search for pomade to find much information on this site. One such thread containing information on Royal Crown is the
Haircuts thread.

Royal Crown is great for the extremely wet and greasy look. Elvis used Royal Crown. Hold? Depends on the length of your hair. If your hair is short, you wanna try something like Murry's. Both of these products, however, don't wash out all that easy. There are products out there now that hold and have the shiny look of grease/pomade, but wash out like gel. Hawlywoods Layrite Super Hold is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! It washes out so clean and easy.

marineabilly

A-List Customer
Boris K, I have absolutely no idea why I quoted you on my last post - complete accident. Sorry.

Anyway, here's the Layrite Super Hold. I've used every pomade/grease product in on the market since 1991 and this is one I wish they had back then. This and another fiber product, Fiber Grease, is the way to go...

They have the hold of, say, a Murry's Light, but wash out like your lightest hair gel. Can't go wrong.

$15.00
LAYRITE_SH_01_brown1.JPG

$28.99 ($15.00 if you are in Japan)
fiber-grease.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm a big fan of Royal Crown. Keeps my hair in style. A little bit goes a long way, and it's inexpensive. Give it a shot- if you don't like it, you're not out much.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Dinerman said:
I'm a big fan of Royal Crown. Keeps my hair in style. A little bit goes a long way, and it's inexpensive. Give it a shot- if you don't like it, you're not out much.

I'm planning on using it tonight.I really like the scent.

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
I love Royal Crown. Been using it for decades (along with Brycreem).

I use other pomades (Sweet Georgia Brown, Murrays, etc) and Royal Crown is my fav for the wet look.

But keep in mind that you get the best results with it on short hair. If you want a Ward Cleaver/Mad Men/60's business man look, then it will work fine. If you want to pile your hair up in a pomp, use something with wax, like SGB or Murray's.

Also, I get my Royal Crown at Walmart of all places!

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Hugh Beaumont said:
I love Royal Crown. Been using it for decades (along with Brycreem).

I use other pomades (Sweet Georgia Brown, Murrays, etc) and Royal Crown is my fav for the wet look.

But keep in mind that you get the best results with it on short hair. If you want a Ward Cleaver/Mad Men/60's business man look, then it will work fine. If you want to pile your hair up in a pomp, use something with wax, like SGB or Murray's.

Also, I get my Royal Crown at Walmart of all places!

I'm going more for the Audie Murphy look,but Ward Cleaver is also a tempting style.

Geez,this is a hard decision.

2ward_cleaver.jpg

audie_murphy.jpg

jawisher

Familiar Face
Me too...

Yes, I concur with the other posts on this thread. It's cheap, it's "old-school", and it works great. I also use it daily, being a big fan of the "wet-thinning-hair" look-- so the fact that it only washes out with great difficulty is not a problem for me, but if you only want to use it once in a while that may be an issue.

OldSoul

Familiar Face
I have 8 tins of pomade in the bathroom right now, haha, I'm always trying something new.

I had a flattop for a couple years, and found pomades like Murrays, American Greaser Super 90w, and Layrite worked good for the short hair, but I have been running with a longer cut, not all to sure what you call it, and find the really heavy stuff isn't working so well for me (not to mention way to hard to get out)

I have been using American Greaser 90w (a lot lighter then the super 90) and have been having good results, but would love to try some Royal Crown and Murrays light. Neither of those are easily obtained here, so the next time I make a trip south of the border I'll be hunting some down.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
oh- and a little trick- I leave my tin on top of my radiator to soften it up a bit, makes it go on easier.
IMG_0181-1.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Make your own, make it better, and customize the stiffness.

All you need is Vaseline (petroleum jelly) and bees wax, which is available at most craft stores. Use a little at first. Heat equal parts in something that you plan to throw away - like a thrift store coffee pot. Pour into a small container and let cool for a day. Then try it out. If it's too stiff, reheat it and add Vaseline. If it's too soft, add wax. You can also add things like aloe for feel, or lavender for scent. With one tub of Vaseline and one brick of wax, you'll be able to make enough to last quite a while.

This method also allows for changing your supply from one for winter (more Vaseline) to one that won't cause your hair jelly to melt down your face (more wax).

I learned this from the Handlebar Club.

If you just want stuff in a can, I've found none better than Sweet Georgia Brown in the red can. I've never met someone who didn't love the smell of it, and it holds much better than Royal Crown or Murray's.

SickBoy

New in Town
Just a note that I have some High Life and Royal Crown available in the Classified section...sorry if this is an improper place to post...thanks!!

fireman sam

New in Town
Good Info Lefty I'll keep that in mind, Royal crown is good at the moment I'm useing Black & white they say elvis also used this product as well it's made in Memphis also sold in england on the label it says it's made from petrolatum, paraffin, zinc oxide and ferfume I like the smell of it

marineabilly

A-List Customer
POMADE IN THE DESERT

Here is a great combo. We all know Sweet Georgia Brown (Blue Can) smells great, but this really does have the fresh from the barber smell (as advertised). Again, it washes off like gell, but holds like pomade.

Amarican and Iraq flags in the background.

HW1.jpg

OldSoul

Familiar Face
Cool photo, you probably have the best smelling hair 'in country'

Layrite did a good job on my flattop, but I havn't had any luck now that I have longer hair...every time I tried it it dries out like a gell, so I can't 'correct it on the fly' if I need too.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
LordJohnRoxton said:
Has anyone tried High Life Pomade? I'd enjoy hearing an assessment before I purchase...

I have tried the High Life "Voodoo Brew" and the High Life Light. I liked the Voodoo Brew- it had a nice mild vanilla/coconut like scent and is considered a medium weight pomade and I found it easier to comb thru my hair than say Murrays, it also washed out quite a bit easier than Murrays, the High Life Light was basically like Murrays Light or AGS 40 weight-a good product to get extra shine and use as a top coat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran