Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott/Legendary USA Black Stallion Update

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
Hey all,

It's been a LONG time since I've been on here, but I was just thinking about the forums the other day as I was giving my Black Stallion it's first conditioning. Just got back from a 1,500 mile motorcycle trip and got POURED on the whole way back. Gave the jacket a few days to dry out and it was noticeably more stiff than it usually feels afterwards. I know most say to never treat horsehide (and I'm sure I'll get some flack for doing so haha) but I must say that it's never felt as buttery soft as it does right now. Really molds to my body. Will probably go a another year or more before it sees another treatment like this as I went about 2 years with it before this one. If you don't ride in it, I would suspect you could get 5-10 years without doing anything to it.

I used the same oil I use on everything. Otter Wax leather oil. It's kept my gloves, boots and previous jackets looking and smell new and fresh for years now and I've not had any issues. Your mileage may vary, but I highly recommend it. Application wise, I pour a small amount onto my fingers and rub them together to distribute it a little more evenly, then work it onto the leather by hand. Panel by panel. You can cover quite a bit of paneling with very little oil so I use it sparingly. Once I've done the whole jacket, I take a clean cotton cloth and wipe it down thoroughly to remove any additional oil and further rub in the oil that is on there.

Here's a few pics of how it looks after two years of abuse and a fresh conditioning.

0lecNOb.jpg

496TwxQ.jpg

Last edited:

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
Thanks!

As many before me have said on here, mistreating it is the only way to get it looking like it does now. I wear it on the motorcycle daily, in hot sun and pouring rain, I use it as a pillow when I camp, I cram it into my saddlebag or duffel when it's sweltering hot and can't keep it on my back (sometimes days as a time if I'm on the road) and it often ends up on the floor if someone at home takes the only hanger I own that's strong enough to hold it up haha.

I often hear people say things like "hey that's a nice jacket don't put it on the floor" etc. But as far as I'm concerned, I spent the extra money on the jacket so that I DON'T have to baby it. If it can't get knocked around it has no business being on my back if I were to go down on the bike.

It's the only leather jacket I own, and easily my favorite jacket. It's a real shame that Legendary isn't producing them anymore, I really hope they bring it back.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
This is it, this is what I want my leather jacket to look like. Seriously among the best I've ever seen, vintage or new. And all that under a thousand dollars.
They got REALLY cheap during the closeout, and I passed up because I thought the new one they had photos of looked too plastic. Kicking myself now.... [emoji29] But my Schott CX113 consoles me.

Mysteryo

One Too Many
Beautifull! I notice, that the shine didn't fade away with time and wear, that's mostly what bothers me about Schott's new HH, but this is just me! ;-)

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
They did indeed, before they stopped letting you combine the RETRO10 coupon w/ the 500 club discount these were available for $480. Crazy low for a jacket like this.

Those CX113's are awesome though, can't wait to see that one in a year or two.

They got REALLY cheap during the closeout, and I passed up because I thought the new one they had photos of looked too plastic. Kicking myself now.... [emoji29] But my Schott CX113 consoles me.

I keep telling people, give it time. It may look like a vinyl garbage bag when new but just after a month or so, Schott HH will start showing serious - and real - character, ultimately obliterating everything else on the market (IMO). Without the help of brown tea cores and stuff. I mean, just like the jacket above. My HH Perfecto was just starting to get right when I idiotically sold it. The jacket I bought believing to be superior, never even got close to that Schott, not in any regard. So it just takes time.

Last edited:

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
Isn't that 'renewed' shine, due to the treatment mentioned in the OP, though?

Yes. The oil does shine it up a bit from it's usual duller finish. That said, it's not matte like naked cowhide would be, but I see the same level of sheen in the Aero jackets and that sheen is part of what I love about horsehide. I'd go with cowhide if a little shine is cosmetically displeasing to your eye. Even steer can have a slight sheen to it.

And on a separate note, that shine or finish on the horsehide is what protects the hide from soaking up water like a sponge. I can't imagine what would sway a rider to purchase a jacket of any other hide, as the qualities of horsehide are perfectly suited for what anyone would need from their jacket. In two years of downpours (I live in New England so it happens all the time) I've treated it only once, and I've never had water soak through my jacket into my shirt, even sitting in bumper to bumper traffic in a downpour.

Mysteryo

One Too Many
You've got a point! I have the Legendary Black stallion in my dressing, and I must admit that in case of rain, I wear this jacket. It's almost completely waterproof, and keeps the same aspect when dried.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can only echo the words of the other guys here. It's a killer of a jacket. You can see it's been lived in, and it looks all the better for it.

Thanks!

As many before me have said on here, mistreating it is the only way to get it looking like it does now. I wear it on the motorcycle daily, in hot sun and pouring rain, I use it as a pillow when I camp, I cram it into my saddlebag or duffel when it's sweltering hot and can't keep it on my back (sometimes days as a time if I'm on the road) and it often ends up on the floor if someone at home takes the only hanger I own that's strong enough to hold it up haha.

I often hear people say things like "hey that's a nice jacket don't put it on the floor" etc. But as far as I'm concerned, I spent the extra money on the jacket so that I DON'T have to baby it. If it can't get knocked around it has no business being on my back if I were to go down on the bike.

It's the only leather jacket I own, and easily my favorite jacket. It's a real shame that Legendary isn't producing them anymore, I really hope they bring it back.
After seeing yours I'm pretty sure we all hope they bring it back. I knew I should've grabbed one at the end of the run. Once again hindsight is here to issue a swift kick in the ass. That's a great jacket you've got there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner