Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shackleton vest

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Just saw a Shackleton on the Aero sale page. I think it looks pretty smart, but I don't know a great deal about this model. I'm wondering if there's a typo, or if someone could shed some light on it for me. It's a size 50" with a pit to pit of 21.75" and it's £50 more than the retail. It's in FQHH instead of the battered, but am I missing something, or was this put up in the middle of the staff party?

pawineguy

One Too Many
They have a 42 with a 19.5" pit to pit also. Something is not adding up because a pit to pit should be the same on a vest as a jacket? But maybe not... seems confusing and can't imagine why HH would be a 50 pound up charge when all those standard leathers are usually priced the same. You might be correct in that egg nog could be involved.

Seems to me a vest would not have a pit to pit near as large as a jacket. Since no sleeves are attached that freedom of movement would offer a trimmer slimmed down chest with little to no need for excess material. At least that's the way my leather vests fit.
HD

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My size 42 vests all have about the same pit to pit measurements of 22 inches, although I just applied the tape measurement after a double Laphroig. :D

pawineguy

One Too Many
A vest is not just a jacket without the arms attached. It's a different approach.

I understand, but how is the pit to pit smaller than the wearer's chest size, looks like it would still be taken from the point where the arm hole ends? Obviously Aero knows what they are doing, but the measurement must be taken from a different point on the vest.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I have a size 40 Filson vest on the way to me right now. It should arrive Wed. The measurement I got was 21-inch pit to pit. I have a more traditional vest meant to be worn under a sportcoat. Size 40 with a 20-inch pit to pit.

devilish

A-List Customer
The sizing on the Shackleton has had a few folks confused. Including Carrie and Wade at Insurrection. Mine should have been labelled a 44 by it's measurement but Aero put a 48" label in it. All my waistcoats are a little more narrow in the chest than my jackets. Not by much but still smaller. The arm pit on a waistcoat tends to come down a little further on the wearers chest, not at it's widest, so making the chest size a hair smaller.
For what it's worth I love my Shackleton. It is proving to be a supremely practical garment. Working well with my personal style which is kind of a mixture of 30's - 40's Anglo American influences.
I think the price difference on that vest is because, one the larger size made in FQHH as opposed to the standard steer and two, if I remember correctly, it has custom work done to it.

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Wow, I hadn't really ever thought too much of the nuances of vest sizing. I had, in fact always thought of it as a "jacket without sleeves". I think maybe because the vests I've often looked at are for
riding in, most look do indeed look like mc jackets minus sleeves.
I really like the look of the Shackleton, I'm not sure if I could pull it off, nor do I know where I would wear it. It just struck me as an odd pit to pit for a larger size. I was also quite bored on a hot, stuffy Sunday night trying not to think about Mondays workload....

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Hi Everyone! There seems to have been a mistake with the listing of this one... it's been fixed now! Thanks for alerting us :)

Hope you all have a great Christmas.

Holly

MJCR

One of the Regulars
I got two from Aero, a 48" from the sale page which was far, far too small for me (I'm a 47-49 inch chest, exhaled to inhaled and currently wearing a new 46" chest Hercules which fits perfectly) but it wasn't possible to actually wear, so they very kindly made me a 52" chest, in just a few days (I wanted it for an event I was attending) but it was also very, very small. It fastened, but so far as I could tell measured Almost exactly 48" pit to pit. I think I was just unlucky, or confused about waistcoat sizing, and opted for a refund. Superb service, but I couldn't make the style work for me.

Both were things of sheer joy, sadly just not quite big enough for me.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have a size 40 Filson vest on the way to me right now. It should arrive Wed. The measurement I got was 21-inch pit to pit. I have a more traditional vest meant to be worn under a sportcoat. Size 40 with a 20-inch pit to pit.

Grayland, did your size 40 Filson vest arrive, and how does it fit? Moleskin or 24 oz Mackinaw wool? BTW a Filson vest also works great under a sports coat as well as for layering under almost any jacket that has a bit of room underneath. I much prefer the moleskin over the wool and have three moleskin button vests and two zip in moleskin vests but only one 24 oz Mackinaw wool button vest that I rarely ever use.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
It did arrive the day before Christmas. 24 oz. Mackinaw wool in a light gray. It was the color I always wanted and I'm under the impression that the light gray is no longer available. Fits great although I haven't worn it anywhere yet. My intention is to wear it as a layer under my Aero LHB. I've been making a real effort to get that LHB broken in and it is working. I figure if I can put in a lot of time in the LHB this winter, it will look all the better for it.

Big fan of the Filson Mackinaw wool. I have a single Mackinaw Cruiser in charcoal that is a real pleasure to wear. I sized down to a 38 for that to get a slimmer fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff