Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaving brush

What type of shaving brush do you recommend?

• Badger bristle

Votes: 20 80.0%
  • Boar bristle

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Synthetic bristle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hercule

Practically Family
As part of my mid-life crisis mode I find myself yearning to return to habits of my youth, which means getting back to wet shaving on a more regular basis. So, please weigh in on the merits or drawbacks of badger, boar or synthetic.

Right out of the gate I'm inclined to go with boar or synthetic. One review I read likened badger bristle to a mop.

Any thoughts?

H

Feraud

Bartender
There is a noticable difference in the quality of badger and boar. Badger works a superior lather. Go with the badger brush that fits in your price range.

I've no experience with synthetic brushes.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Only if...

Feraud said:
There is a noticable difference in the quality of badger and boar. Badger works a superior lather. Go with the badger brush that fits in your price range.

Should synthetic ever be an option?

...you have a moral objection to something made with animal products, or if you have some sort of sensitivity to the animal hair.

FWIW, I use only badger.

Lokar

A-List Customer
Synthetic is (in my experience) pretty much useless, it doesn't hold water well and that's a requirement. It's apparently got and still is getting better, but I'd recommend badger (and buying synthetic when it's not needed just uses up petroleum faster!)

The general rule is badger is best - it holds water better, which helps moisten the face more and build up a better lather of soap. That's why all the top end brushes are badger (and why boar is cheaper than badger - if boar was better, it'd be the other way around or badger just wouldn't exist).

Some more input, courtesy of Badger and Blade, regarding boar vs badger

Boar bristles are thicker, stiffer and hold less water than badger, and the brushes made from them are generally cheaper. Many men feel boar bristles are well suited to hard soap due to the stiffness of the bristles. Badger bristles, however, are much softer than boar and feel more luxurious on the face.

Hercule

Practically Family
>>Should synthetic ever be an option?<<

I understand the sentiment behind that and sincerely appreciate it, but that sort of thing is not really an issue for/with me (I'm not yet a die hard anachronist; and certainly will never be a vegan). Water retention is a good point.

My thought is that a stiffer bristle would have more of a scrubbing/ massaging effect. As I said before one review I read suggested the badger bristle became more of a mop in that regard.

H

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
I've never used a badger, but I have a boar and a synthetic.

I prefer the boar. I agree that the synthetic does not hold water as well. I like the stiffer bristles of the boar over the badger. For me, the stiffness makes it easier to work with. The synthetic is good for travel, as it is easier to rinse out and dry to put in your travel kit. Plus you don't want to loose an expensive brush when your luggage gets lost. Badger is more expensive, but it is much more soft. If you want a soft brush, you will not find anything like a badger. If you have sensitive skin, go right to badger. If you have a stiff beard I would go for boar.

Or, if you are just cheap like I am, get a $5 synthetic Burma Shave from Wal-Mart to see if the whole brush shave deal is for you. That's what I did, and now I'm using a DE razor and a boar brush with nice soap.

Lokar

A-List Customer
I personally don't get why using a coarse brush is better for stiffer whiskers - a badger brush will have more (and a moister) lather, which means it can get underneath and on top of the whiskers easier, and again, make them moister, which makes shaving easier.

57plymouth: You say the stiff boar bristles make it easier, but you also say you've never tried badger. You should give it a go sometime. I started with a boar, and swapped to a badger, and it's fantastic. I have thick, stiff hair (that thankfully, grows slowly) and love my badger much more.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Badger all the way!

badger2.jpg

RobStC

A-List Customer
Badger!

For me it's definitely badger. Have tried a boar bristle brush in the past but found it slightly scratchy on my face, and prefer a good badger brush largely because of that. Certainly don't find that the badger brush turns into a mop - although the badger I currently use (not a silver-tip) isn't terribly floppy or as soft as some that I've seen..... Best of both worlds?;)

RobStC

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Keep in mind that you should always rinse out the brush thoroughly, and hang it up with the bristles down. You can get a nice brush holder on Ebay, or any other shaving needs vendor, for anywhere between $1.50 and $125.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
I recently had a repeat client request a brush handle the same shape as his vintage "Double Duck" Brush, he sent me the brush so I could copy it.
He also requested a 22 mm Black Badge brush head from the Golden Nib.
I buy all my brush heads from the GN but hadn't used the Black Badger yet, it's actually on the low end price wise compared to Silver Tip and Finest so I bought several.
They turned out so nice I decide to keep one for myself and have found that the Black Badger is firmer then my other brushes which have gotten too floppy for my liking over the years.
Paduak%20Brushes%20004%20%28Large%29.jpg

Big_e

Practically Family
Nothing wrong with badger at all but I do like a good boar bristle brush. It adds a more invigorating feel to the shave. The stiffer bristles localizes the lather right to where I need it better.
Ernest

Colonel

One of the Regulars
If, as I do, you make shaving into a daily ritual of luxury rather than a chore that must be done, then spending the money on a good quality badger brush is the way to go. I have my regular badger brush, plus a travel badger brush.

I have seen it often said that a brush must be hung bristles down after using it. I have never done that, and I've been using mine every day for at least 20 years (probably more). It is still in mint condition. I rinse it out thoroughly after each use and then sling the water out of it. If you do that, there is no way that any remaining water could possibly move in any direction. With little more than dampness remaining, capillary action among the bristles would keep it from moving no matter how it is oriented. I am confident that this is just a matter of "folk legend" that has no basis in fact but still keeps making the rounds. That's assuming, of course, that you are careful to vigorously sling water until you can get no more off of it. If you put it away wet, then it doesn't matter how you have it oriented - it's not going to be good for it.

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Badger..............only.
Tried the boar and the synthetic and, well........badger for me.

There are many grades of badger hair - pure, best, silvertip, finest, etc., - and depending on the manufacturer the feel will vary from course to silky.
The loft will also determine how the brush feels.

Careful tho:
buy a brush but beware the BAD ( Brush Acquisition Disorder)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Centifugal force

Yes, that really makes a difference. I have to confess that there is one nagging thought about the badger in the back of my mind. The badgers all come from China. Now I've read that they use the whole badger, not just the fur. But the Chinese are infamous for unspeakably cruel methods of killing fur animals. Just saying. If they're trapped wild it's probaby some sort of quick kill. But if they're farmed, well I don't wanna know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran