Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Salsanadia, your suit is perfectly lovely! I adore the pictures, too!

Thanks so much, Ladies, on the comment on my dress :)
Idledame, thanks so much for the comment on the fabric. I really believe that there's a fabric for every dress and whenever they come together it's meant to be. Sometimes I really want to make a certain pattern but I don't find the right fabric so I just hold off until I find it. I think fabric is SO important. Personally I really hate that chain stores like Joann fabric have such a lousy selection of natural fibres and rayon with a good drape. A lot of their fabrics are so obviously cheap and if I am going to take the time to make something I want nice fabric to make it with! Plus it's kind of a sensory experience lol when the fabric moves just the way it should and falls into place. I love it. But that's probably why I have way.too.much.fabric. Haha. I'll fall in love, grab it while I can, and just wait until it tells me it wants to be made into something. I know I sound like an absolute wacko, but I think dressmaking is an art, just like any other art, and inspiration has to strike! Sometimes we strike out, but nothing gives me a thrill like the marriage of working with the perfect fabric and design on your own schedule.

Lottie

Familiar Face
Lauren said:
Salsanadia, your suit is perfectly lovely! I adore the pictures, too!

Thanks so much, Ladies, on the comment on my dress :)
Idledame, thanks so much for the comment on the fabric. I really believe that there's a fabric for every dress and whenever they come together it's meant to be. Sometimes I really want to make a certain pattern but I don't find the right fabric so I just hold off until I find it. I think fabric is SO important. Personally I really hate that chain stores like Joann fabric have such a lousy selection of natural fibres and rayon with a good drape. A lot of their fabrics are so obviously cheap and if I am going to take the time to make something I want nice fabric to make it with! Plus it's kind of a sensory experience lol when the fabric moves just the way it should and falls into place. I love it. But that's probably why I have way.too.much.fabric. Haha. I'll fall in love, grab it while I can, and just wait until it tells me it wants to be made into something. I know I sound like an absolute wacko, but I think dressmaking is an art, just like any other art, and inspiration has to strike! Sometimes we strike out, but nothing gives me a thrill like the marriage of working with the perfect fabric and design on your own schedule.

That's beautifully said (and encouraging me to become a more patient seamstress.. :D)!

crwritt

One Too Many
Lauren, I know what you mean about inspiration. I think the best dresses practically make themselves. For me, they are the ones where the pattern was just right, the fabric was waiting in the stash, and the dress became a new favorite. Of course, with me that means a number of unfinished objects hanging around. I'm not sure what the ratio is for successful vs. so-so projects, I don't dare count.

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone - I came upon a really cute fabric at a local store for a whopping $2.75 (2 1/4 yards, cotton blend), and am envisioning it for a vintage style short sleeve, button up blouse. What do you all think?

IMG_3306.jpg

And I'm thinking of using coconut buttons with it:

IMG_3322.jpg

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Ooh...lil' safari pintucks. I can see that too! :D

The not so easy part has been searching for such a pattern. I'm looking for a 38 to 40 inch bust, and most of the blouse patterns I've seen are in the 32 to 34 inch range. I could probably make do with a 36 and size up.

SheBear74

Practically Family
Lauren, you are so right! I bought some nice fabric the other day, so I could make my sister a dress. Though we both loved it, I had to tell her I couldn't use it, none of my patterns felt right with it.

swinggal

One Too Many
Right, I just spent a gloomy, rainy Saturday going through EVERY page in this amazing 272 page thread. Yeah, I've seen it all before as I always follow it but I wanted to look back over the years. I used sew a fair bit about 6 years ago then stopped. I don't know why. I made a fitted satin gown this year for the Queen Mary event that I never wore (I couldn't fit into it because I ate to much on holiday!) and must post it here. So disappointed that i didn't get to wear is as it was horrendous to make, Vintage Vogue patterns are aweful :(

This thread has inspired me to get back into sewing. I am even going to get the newspaper classifieds today and see if there is anyone selling their dressmakers dummies. I've never had one and I know it would make the 'fitting' process way less of a battle and I'd like to be able to fix a few vintage pieces that have issues. So, thanks ladies. I've been a bit down lately with no motivation to do anything much, and reading this has certainly helped :)

DPD, can I ask were the pattern for this dress came from? I meant to ask you ages ago and forgot. I love it :)

7a4e7d3d9e4d.jpg
b9aff6bc6680.jpg

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
swinggal said:
Right, I just spent a gloomy, rainy Saturday going through EVERY page in this amazing 272 page thread. Yeah, I've seen it all before as I always follow it but I wanted to look back over the years. I used sew a fair bit about 6 years ago then stopped. I don't know why. I made a fitted satin gown this year for the Queen Mary event that I never wore (I couldn't fit into it because I ate to much on holiday!) and must post it here. So disappointed that i didn't get to wear is as it was horrendous to make, Vintage Vogue patterns are aweful :(

This thread has inspired me to get back into sewing. I am even going to get the newspaper classifieds today and see if there is anyone selling their dressmakers dummies. I've never had one and I know it would make the 'fitting' process way less of a battle and I'd like to be able to fix a few vintage pieces that have issues. So, thanks ladies. I've been a bit down lately with no motivation to do anything much, and reading this has certainly helped :)

DPD, can I ask were the pattern for this dress came from? I meant to ask you ages ago and forgot. I love it :)

7a4e7d3d9e4d.jpg
b9aff6bc6680.jpg
abutt7837.jpg

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
swinggal said:
Thanks! Now to find it in my size!
This pattern has let out seams also, which allow youto make the side and sleeve measurements 1 1/2 inch larger over all. I am not sure if all the butterick patterns from that era have the letout seams but I have two or three that do. If I ever come accross a smaller size I will let you know.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You all have been making some cool stuff! Ive been busy with a couple of things ,but they are taking their time.

I decided to do a half day project that channeled my inner Steampunk.

244-1.jpg

The pattern is actually 30s.

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg

More details on the blog.

LD

crwritt

One Too Many
LD, those are interesting collars. I like how the striped fabric looks in your version. Do you think these would have been made of some crisp sheer white fabric? What is view F?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
crwritt said:
What is view F?

The upper left corner? Thats actually an E, but its a puff sleeve. This pattern has a few things that are not described on the pattern cover, the cuffs being one of them. The instructions were....sparse, to say the least. Also, the bow on collar D is just described as a 'piece of fabric' or some ribbon. As well as the bow on B. It amazes me how much you were on your own in so many earlier patterns.

Thanks everyone so much on the compliments. Its was an interesting pattern, to say the least. The point where the collar meets the button front was totally me. I wanted it to look like the drawing, so I had to do all that part by hand.

LD

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
The upper left corner? Thats actually an E, but its a puff sleeve. This pattern has a few things that are not described on the pattern cover, the cuffs being one of them. The instructions were....sparse, to say the least. Also, the bow on collar D is just described as a 'piece of fabric' or some ribbon. As well as the bow on B. It amazes me how much you were on your own in so many earlier patterns.

Thanks everyone so much on the compliments. Its was an interesting pattern, to say the least. The point where the collar meets the button front was totally me. I wanted it to look like the drawing, so I had to do all that part by hand.

LD
D is the version I want to make. I guess a bow isn't that hard to figure out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24