Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ah.. what would the world be without typos.. that was a GOOD one! ;)
I'm the one trying to make a bordelo, hehehe! (ahem.. just the look in my bedroom that is!)
Nikki

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Today I wore the latest dress I made. I am far from being a great seamstress so the dress looks like poop. Speaking of poop... that is exactly what I looked like today too, soooo... I had to heart face myself. Oh and the Chippie heart pin was made by RedHotRidinHood.

IM000149b.jpg

Nashoba

One Too Many
goldwyn girl said:
Thanks Nashoba. I am always on the lookout for my dresses in their natural habitat :) It's a super easy pattern you could put it together in a few hours.

I'm so glad to hear it's easy. I have a Vogue pattern that's driving me crazy and has been banished to my garment rack until I can find within me the patience to deal with it. A couple of easy projects will make me feel better.

Lolita I think that dress is adorable! And I find it hard to believe you could look like poop ;)

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
She looked just lovely, don't let her tell you different! It is a very cute dress with some nice details, and she is the only person I know who could pull off that color of yellow successfully. Her hair was really neat today too-she had it in two buns at the back of her head. It was pretty!

So, Lolita-:p

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
Everyones creations are wonderful. I wish I wasn't moving.....I want to sew something right now..... I don't even know where I'm going to set my sewing space up in my new house.

berrybuzz

One of the Regulars
I actually made this dress back in April, but a lack of decent pictures prevented me posting. It's a modern pattern and the only adjusting I did to it was shorten the length and made the sleeves puff.
http://www.butterick.com/item/B4797.htm?search=4797&page=1
is the pattern.
IM000148b.jpg

Next I'll be making the other dress in the pattern. Can't decide if I should leave the collar as is or make it a full out sailor collar adding the square drape to the back. Thoughts?

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
berrybuzz said:
I actually made this dress back in April, but a lack of decent pictures prevented me posting. It's a modern pattern and the only adjusting I did to it was shorten the length and made the sleeves puff.
http://www.butterick.com/item/B4797.htm?search=4797&page=1
is the pattern.
IM000148b.jpg

Next I'll be making the other dress in the pattern. Can't decide if I should leave the collar as is or make it a full out sailor collar adding the square drape to the back. Thoughts?

i love the adjustments you made! and as for the sailor collar.... i say DO IT! i'm fond of anything with a sailor motif.

MinnieRose

Familiar Face
I smile every time I come into this thread. All of you have done a wonderful job! :eusa_clap You're making me want to get my machine and at least try!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Goldwyn girl: A fantastic dress. I have it myself and I badly wanna do it again. It was the first dress that I made all by myself. Now that I´m better in sewing I´m sure I can make it within a few hours.

Lady Day: What a lovely dress! I´m sure the green will be very flattering. I saw a movie playing in the 30s with Afro-American women dressed in beautifull strong and bright colours. (And I was so jealous cause I can´t pull it off). Unfortunetly I have not the slightest idea what the name of the movie was, but it had great outfits and water-waves.

Lolita: I can´t imagine you looking bad! And you did a great job on the dress. I can´t see any flaws!

berrybuzz: If I wouldn´t know I´d say it´s 100% vintage! such a pretty dress!

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
MaryDeluxe, thankyou and I sure do love those shoes.

Pink Dahlia, fortunatly I had enough material to recut the front, perhaps you could lift yours silghtly at the shoulders for a better fit. Thanks for the complement.

Lady Day, that green is fabulous and I love the pleats.

LolitaHaze, your dress is the farthest thing from poop, it looks wonderful and the colour is amazing. I wish I could wear something that colour.

berrybuzz, super cute, I also would have thought it was a vintage pattern if you had not said otherwise and yes go with the sailor collar

RetroModelSari, thankyou and lets see a pic of your version.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
goldwyn girl said:
Pink Dahlia, fortunatly I had enough material to recut the front, perhaps you could lift yours silghtly at the shoulders for a better fit. Thanks for the complement.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying. Do you mean take in the shoulders? I sure would like the dress to fit properly.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Pink Dahlia said:
I'm not quite sure what you're saying. Do you mean take in the shoulders? I sure would like the dress to fit properly.

Take it up along the shoulder seam where the back and front meet. You could also try another dart at the bust. Pin up the shoulder first as that would be the easiest way and try it on. Be aware of the fit at the waist, you dont' want to pull that up to high. Looking at your dress I think you have a little play at the waist so it should be alright. PM me if you like and we can toss around some thoughts.

Sari, very nice. I love the colour combination you chose. Reminds me of 30's movie stars.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Nashoba... Aww Thanks! But sadly it is true... I can (and did) look like poop. lol

RedHot... You are too sweet, but don't lie. I know my hair looked dumpy! It had potencial, but... eh... I am happy that you said I could pull off that yellow. I wasn't quite sure about it. I just really liked the material (liked it even better since it was on sale for a $1 a yard. :)

HotRod Elf... I feel ya! I have the sewing bug right now, but no time to do it. :(

Cherry Red... Thanks for the heads up!

Berry Buzz... Wow! Great alteration! I didn't even realize that one was modern too!

Klara... Thank you. I used... ok... I just looked for the pattern everywhere and I can't find it. :eusa_doh: If I do come across it again I will let you know. :)

Sari... Thank you. Upon closer inspection you would be able to see the flaws. I didn't match up the collar properly and the hem is lame. Also... the buttons and button holes... now those are a laugh! :)

Goldwyn Girl... Thank you. I really liked the pattern on the fabric plus it was on sale. I wasn't sure if I could pull off the color or not, but no one said anything to me elsewise. :)

Nashoba

One Too Many
RedHotRidinHood said:
She looked just lovely, don't let her tell you different! It is a very cute dress with some nice details, and she is the only person I know who could pull off that color of yellow successfully. Her hair was really neat today too-she had it in two buns at the back of her head. It was pretty!

So, Lolita-:p

See Lolita you can't look like poop. there are witnesses!lol

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Lo, I'd say that's the best looking poop I've ever seen, lol! You crack me up! What a great dress!

Berry, swell dress too. Go for the sailor!

Sari, that dress looks so elegant in satin, I never would've thought of making it in anything but cotton. Great idea! Gorgeous pic!
Nikki

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
So here's the Painted Veil frock:

l_6352e988d1c5b4aacf076950fd31eaac.jpg

I sewed and ripped off that modesty patch (it wasn't part of the original pattern) about eight times and it still doesn't sit right. :rage:
So I fixed it in Photoshop (just in case you think that area looks weird). That's what it's supposed to look like. I had a hell of a time with the collar so I hope it looks all right.

One day I'll do my hair and put a better pic up.

Anyway, here's the original in case you forgot what it looks like:

22454277_l.png

Not EXACTLY the same but pretty durn close if you ask me! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot