Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Well...until I learn to knit, I still have my hands full with learning to sew. :)

This is my birthday dress from last week---I stitched it together in a couple days, with a few modifications. I did an FBA (it's a 36 bust pattern and mine is 39) but really shouldn't have, as the bodice was enormous.
I had to get all fancy and fly and shorten it creatively by a couple of inches when I attached the skirt. Of course, this could have been avoided, had I done a muslin.....but hasty impatience got the better of me. :)

The pattern is super simple--Butterick 8505. It's constructed of cheap quilter's cotton 'cuz Mama's on a budget. :)
Sorry my pic is a bit blurry, as it makes it difficult to see the simple details. This was worn with two crinolines and a cheap shrug I found at Macy's.
I love that the pattern says, "Magic to Make."

dsp_butterick_8505_002-1.jpg
birthdaydress.jpg

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Well, I think this wartime dress suits me better than the typical shirtdress I've been trying to make, but I still think wartime fashions don't suit as well as 50's do. Wartime dresses look ok on me when I was thinner but not with some extra weight back on. The 50's dresses seem to work for me fat or slim.
3538785103_98f2a86aaf.jpg

3538786987_9e51159f6b.jpg

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
kamikat said:

Kamikat, you're gorgeous no matter what you wear!

Love the fabric choice-- that blue looks great with your complexion. I think maybe nipping in the vertical bodice seams a bit might help make it a little more flattering.

I love-love-love that pattern!

michou1930

New in Town
Fabulous dresses!

Both those dresses are great! And you both did a fantastic job!

Miss Amelina: those fifties patterns! They are always quite wide around the bustline - bullet bras might need more space ... lol

Kamikat: I like forties on you. :) But I think the top part could be a bit smaller for you, just one or two centimetres perhaps. Would show off a bit more of your waistline.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
michou1930 said:
Kamikat: I like forties on you. :) But I think the top part could be a bit smaller for you, just one or two centimetres perhaps. Would show off a bit more of your waistline.

Yes, that might work. There is no zipper in this dress, it pulls over the head and has ties in the back to tighten it. I could make it tighter and add a zipper.

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
Yes, that might work. There is no zipper in this dress, it pulls over the head and has ties in the back to tighten it. I could make it tighter and add a zipper.

I'd do it--you have such a lovely hourglass figure and this dress is almost perfect but a tiny bit more waist shaping would make it flatter you better. Love the color!

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
MissAmelina said:
Well...until I learn to knit, I still have my hands full with learning to sew. :)

This is my birthday dress from last week---I stitched it together in a couple days, with a few modifications. I did an FBA (it's a 36 bust pattern and mine is 39) but really shouldn't have, as the bodice was enormous.
I had to get all fancy and fly and shorten it creatively by a couple of inches when I attached the skirt. Of course, this could have been avoided, had I done a muslin.....but hasty impatience got the better of me. :)

The pattern is super simple--Butterick 8505. It's constructed of cheap quilter's cotton 'cuz Mama's on a budget. :)
Sorry my pic is a bit blurry, as it makes it difficult to see the simple details. This was worn with two crinolines and a cheap shrug I found at Macy's.
I love that the pattern says, "Magic to Make."

Your dress is darling and so are you! Hope you had a great birthday!

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
Finally finished this skirt yesterday - for what I thought would be a quick break-up between my bigger sewing projects, it ended up taking forever! It is from a pattern from the 40's.
3547483670_aa7a4453a8.jpg

3546675793_889a03300b.jpg

Eva Morsikova

Familiar Face
This was me in a recent fashion show at my community college. I made it from an old dirndl pattern from the early 40s. The material is from fabric that I was going to make into pillowcases but never got around to it. :p
p4020044.jpg

dsc01027k.jpg

Flapper dress I made too for the fashion show. Heavily inspired by Erte. The loop of the bow is actually a pocket and the straps are real glass pearls!

Oh, did I get my diva on that day. :p

Rachael

A-List Customer
I love the Erte-inspired dress! That is actually similar to my next 'small project'. I do tend to mire down in things that seem to be good ideas to start.

Speaking of such, I finished my sewing with a plan a few weeks ago and haven't taken much time to post pictures. details are on my blog: http://zenosewing.blogspot.com/

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Wow. What lovley things everyone has been making. I wanted to make a dress for retro rama but I have been quite lasy. I have been making quite a few hats though.
6aacca96f88b.jpg
03b23b0c5820.jpg

d76b754ec981.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner