Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snobbery in the Lounge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surely

A-List Customer
I shouldn't have mentioned the hat example until I could state it as well as K.D. Another example of my fingers outrunning my brain.

In one paragraph KD was able to give enough info to give rise to a picture of snobbery in action, the many levels it operates on, and why it should not be ignored and it was done without "pointing fingers."

[i have received no compensation for these remarks.]

ShortClara

One Too Many
The Dame said:
:eek: Teetotaller? Me? Heavens, no! *SHUDDER* In fact, I think I need a booster shot just to get past the shock of the notion ... something in the neighborhood of 80 proof or higher! :D BTW, if court's being held in Dita's hat closet, does that mean as Lady-in-Waiting I can rifle through her unmentionables? Please? Oh please, please, puh-leeeeese? ;)

Of course! We get to play in the giant martini glass, too! The better to look down upon those under us. Or, should we drink from it? Ah, the dilemmas of the upper crust!

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Perfect Martini snobs, please!!!

ShortClara said:
Of course! We get to play in the giant martini glass, too! The better to look down upon those under us. Or, should we drink from it? Ah, the dilemmas of the upper crust!

Chopin- nearly frozen. Glass, must be leaded, dry vermouth. 1 jigger vermouth, poured into glass and sloshed to wet entire glass. Pour roughly 10 - 12ish drops into shaker. Amount of vodka depends on glass size- as appropriate into shaker (oops- forgot- shaker must also be "frozen"). Shake and pour into "wet" glass. 2 Olives on tp in after about 15 - 20 sec to allow glass to "re-frost". Drink. Smile.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

What's yours? [huh]

ShortClara

One Too Many
mtechthang said:
Chopin- nearly frozen. Glass, must be leaded, dry vermouth. 1 jigger vermouth, poured into glass and sloshed to wet entire glass. Pour roughly 10 - 12ish drops into shaker. Amount of vodka depends on glass size- as appropriate into shaker (oops- forgot- shaker must also be "frozen"). Shake and pour into "wet" glass. 2 Olives on tp in after about 15 - 20 sec to allow glass to "re-frost". Drink. Smile.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

What's yours? [huh]

I'm a real man - I only drink Gin martinis, thank you very much! Bombay Sapphire - very dry, very dirty. Vermouth bottle waved over the glass, 2 olives. Stirred, not shaken.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
surely said:
When is an "air" so offensive that you wish to remove yourself from their presence?

When Comet has been eating too much roadkill! :eek: *yucky*

DSC00219.jpg

One tends to leave the area quite quickly--or haul him to the door to spend the night where his putting on airs won't be so offensive. lol

Cheers,
Tom

The Dame

One of the Regulars
ShortClara said:
I'm a real man - I only drink Gin martinis, thank you very much! Bombay Sapphire - very dry, very dirty. Vermouth bottle waved over the glass, 2 olives. Stirred, not shaken.

Yes! I believe it was Sir Winston Churchill who said you should wave the Vermouth bottle over the gin just to scare it, and that's the way I like to make a martini!

You and me and CassD drinking dry and dirty martinis - I can definitely picture it! :D

Ever try Tanqueray No. 10? Smooooooth.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I am definitely a snob when it comes to martinis. It has to be gin, it has to be extra dry, it has to have olives or caperberries, it has to be cold, and the extra dry vermouth is just a spritz to give the scent but not the taste.

I make my own martinis.

And, if you like them with vodka, or apple cider or lemon drops, that is OK, but not for me.

I also don't much like ballcaps; I guess I get tired of them because I see so many of them. Odd, the number of people who wear caps and tell me they do so to protect themselves from the sun. (!??!) And yet yhey stare at me for wearing a fedora.

Once in awhile I see a ballcap that has a logo I like and may wear it if it happens to look good on me.

karol

KilroyCD

One Too Many
The Dame said:
Yes! I believe it was Sir Winston Churchill who said you should wave the Vermouth bottle over the gin just to scare it, and that's the way I like to make a martini!
You go so far as to wave the bottle of Vermouth over the gin? Heck, I merely mention the word!

As the late, great W.C. Fields once said, "I stumbled over a bottle of gin, and I've been stumbling ever since."

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
What was the line. . .

KilroyCD said:
You go so far as to wave the bottle of Vermouth over the gin? Heck, I merely mention the word!

When Hawkeye was describing the perfect, dry martini on MASH. It was to, "Pour the gin while looking at a picture of Lorenzo Schwartz, the inventor of Vermouth!"

Haven't tried that yet. :)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As stated several places elsewhere on the Lounge, as well as most other sites on the Web, a martini is made with gin. If you use vodka instead, it then becomes a kangaroo, or at best, a vodka-tini, but it is definitely NOT a martini. And Short Clara agrees - and lest we not forget - her wrath is short but terrible.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Yeah, yeah, yeah

Mike in Seattle said:
As stated several places elsewhere on the Lounge, as well as most other sites on the Web, a martini is made with gin. If you use vodka instead, it then becomes a kangaroo, or at best, a vodka-tini, but it is definitely NOT a martini.

I'll accept it from the Queen. But, truth is, any Russian will tell you that Gin is flavored Vodka- So there!!

Just kidding, Mike. Trying to be a snob isn't my thing really. My sister is a gin lover as well. But she's still a nice person - besides, I'm a whisky/whiskey fellow actually and don't understand the appeal of white spirits myself. :D

The Dame

One of the Regulars
KilroyCD said:

lol lol lol

mtechthang said:
When Hawkeye was describing the perfect, dry martini on MASH. It was to, "Pour the gin while looking at a picture of Lorenzo Schwartz, the inventor of Vermouth!"

ROTFLMAO lol lol lol :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Oh, my, gents, you do know how to bring a smile to a lady's face as well as make her laugh out loud in a rather unladylike way. :)

The Dame

One of the Regulars
A Legit Example of Snobbery ...

In the Moving Picture forum, a newbie has started a thread asking which movie you'd watch and why if tomorrow was your last day on earth. I answered the question in the spirit in which it was posed and chose Philadelphia Story. Three other FL members followed and basically declined to answer on the grounds that they'd have better things to do if tomorrow was their last day on earth and one even said it was a silly question. Silly or no, the newbie's goal was to get people to talk a little about movies they enjoy in the hopes it might spark someone's interest in catching a flick they hadn't seen before. Now that's snobbery if you ask me. A newbie doesn't need to be put down for starting a thread that is beneath more seasoned members. Frankly, if it's so far beneath them, they ought to just move on without posting unless the post is somehow offensive and violates FL etiquette - which it does not. :rage: :rage: :rage:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97