Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Age of Profanity

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I've been in some heated arguments with drivers who had nearly run me down while on my bicycle or crossing the street (when I had the right of way). I wouldn't use any profanity while they cursed up a storm. I tried to act as cool-headed as possible and point out what they nearly did to me. It gave me great satisfaction to know that most likely they were irked even more that I didn't use any bad language. I wouldn't stoop to such a low level as I am a gentleman. Swear all you want fellas, it won't insult me...it actually humors me.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
1988 Shag The Movie

Salv said:
We should also consider that some words can be offensive in one culture but not another. In the UK we use another 4-letter word, similar in meaning to the F-word in that it's a euphemism for the sex act, but without the impact of the F-word. In the US the same word refers to a style of dancing popular in the Beach Music scene in and around Myrtle Beach, SC. There was even a 1980's US-made film - a sort of female American Graffiti but with a soul and R&B soundtrack - based on the Beach scene and set in the early 60's, that used the word for its title.
Phoebe Cates and Bridget Fonda starred in it. Phoebe looked great.:)

Dis

New in Town
Culture defines what is considered 'profane' just as it defines what 'well-dressed' is. In the highlands of Papua New Guinea there is a group where the well-dressed man wears a gourd secured by a string to cover the family jewels -and that's it.

Would that fly in the US? You'd get picked up for indecent exposure. The person who would run about dressed like that would be doing it for the shock value.

I think the same motive is behind those who pick up the swearing habit at first. Then it becomes an ingrained habit.

Until recently, it was considered crass and crude to use curse words. I appreciate it when a person who swears as a matter of course in his regualr speech, dials back on the foulisms when they talk to me. One person I know did it instinctively before he know I was of a conservative frame of mind because of the way I spoke.

Culture does define what is proper and what is not. It do not think one can appear 'classy' in today's society while swearing up a storm that would tarnish the silver.

Nora Charles

New in Town
Steve said:
In truth, the intent of the word remains the same as the word itself. If you give someone the finger and scream "f--- you," it'd come off the same way if you said "grass you," because the intention of the word would be the same.

I agree! I think that swear words are that way because of the intention that the person has using them. If they are used in expressions of grief like a stubbed toe, that is one thing, but the other use gives a person a tool to attack a person. In that meaning, I think they are wrong and contribute to the lack of sensitivity towards others that is happening all around us.

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
I agree, it just gets down to respect. If you have enough not to swear before the clergy then why is it so hard to expect you to hold your tongue when you're in the company of ladies (and gentleman)?

L_H

mandolynn

New in Town
Well, I'm chiming in a bit late, but oh well, I wanted to put in my input on this matter.

I'll only swear around people I've grown very comfortable with, which is really only close friends and well, my parents, and I swear if I'm by myself to get anger off my chest. I've pretty much inherited the gift of making up crazy words to replace swear words (my mother says something like "GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY" instead of something that could be worse.) I only use swears to emphasize something, but never around people I've never met, only met a few times, or people who are older than me such as teachers and relatives that would frown upon it. I don't feel the need to refrain, I guess, it just comes naturally to refrain.

And kids have always been using swear words when they're not around their parents or adults. It makes them feel older, and well, sometimes it's funny because, well, when you're a kid you're immature and you can think things like that are funny.

I really don't care if people swear around me, though. It doesn't make me uncomfortable or anything. But most of the time people only swear around me in the right situations (ie. they've stubbed their toe or something completely off the wall amazing has happened).

But then again, I'm also a fan of South Park. So I'm a walking contradiction :D

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
It was actually illegal? A guy who chooses not to swear in front of a lady is a real gentleman..I also love it when they open doors, and so on, it's just respectful

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
mandolynn said:
It's funny you should say that because where I used to live (in Michigan) it was illegal to swear in front of or at women.

That's true, along with swearing in front of children. Unfortunately most people don't seem to know and or follow it, that and the police are hardly about to issue a ticket for it these days. It's also a very, very old law.

L_H

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
It really should be just plain common sense not to swear in front of children. With there being a lot more 'serious' issues going out there, the police I imagine have enough to deal with than ticketing people who swear

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Lena_Horne said:
That's true, along with swearing in front of children. Unfortunately most people don't seem to know and or follow it, that and the police are hardly about to issue a ticket for it these days. It's also a very, very old law.

Parents try their hardest to raise and protect their children for the first five years. Then they send them to school and whammo. The child will run into some brat with jerks for parents and come home asking "what does *&^ you mean?"[huh]

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Or, they blurt it out at some big function...that's what happened with my daughter, we were at her friends birthday party, she was shooting some hoops, missed and yelled out for everyone to hear, 'oh s***!'...never before had a foul word crossed her lips..until of course then..I was REALLY embarrassed. I come to find out that it was at school, which made me even more mad because we sent her to a private school to get away from some of that kind of stuff :rolleyes:

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Back in the first grade

There were two punks that would harass me on the way home from school. So my Dad bought me a punching bag and gave me a couple lessons. They were in the second and third grades. So one day, they were harassing me and I lost all control and whacked them both with my Underdog lunch pail. (Yes, Underdog! this was 1975). I chased them home. Well, about 30 minutes later one of the boys and his mother shows up at the door and tells my Dad that I beat him over the head. My Dad asks me what happened and I told him that the two were giving me a bad time. So the kids mother says; "Noodle said your son called him a f*&** @$$h**. My Dad tells the woman point blank; "your son must have learned that from you and your husband because I never swear like that in front of my children" and slammed the door on her face. Those two kids never bothered me again.:eusa_clap

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
Lincsong said:
Parents try their hardest to raise and protect their children for the first five years. Then they send them to school and whammo. The child will run into some brat with jerks for parents and come home asking "what does *&^ you mean?"[huh]

I remember asking my mother as a child what the middle finger meant and she told me point blank. But I've always been (and it's becoming more apparent as I post on these boards) somewhat of a goodie goodie. I generally avoid swearing (except in my fiction), don't drink, smoke, etc. I'm a rare and dying breed.:)

L_H

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Supposedly, your breed has been dying for centuries, if not millennia. Everyone from Epictetus to Alexander Pope has been declaring its demise.

Well, the rumors are exaggerated. This breed will NEVER die. Human nature has determined that some of us are to be like you. Sometimes there are more, sometimes less -- but there will never, ever be none.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner