Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
LordBest said:
...he and his friend proceeded to talk amongst themselves about how Indiana Jones wannabes spoilt archaeology for the normal students.

One of the heads of a dig I was at in Belgium always wore a fedora. A colleague of mine who's an archaeologist (I'm not, but am interested as a historian of material culture) insists he only did because of Indiana Jones, and thinks the same for any archaeologist in a fedora. Belgium may not get as hot as Australia, but it's still nice to keep the sun off the back of your neck!

Nick D said:
One of the heads of a dig I was at in Belgium always wore a fedora. A colleague of mine who's an archaeologist (I'm not, but am interested as a historian of material culture) insists he only did because of Indiana Jones, and thinks the same for any archaeologist in a fedora. Belgium may not get as hot as Australia, but it's still nice to keep the sun off the back of your neck!

What the heck do they want you to wear? A pith helmet? :rolleyes:
For Lord Best, you boys are clearly cases of village idiots whose villages are missing them. :rolleyes:

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Despite having worn fedora's since I was a kid I've never attracted the dreaded "Indy" comments when wearing a hat. So imagine my suprise when I arrived at work lidless but in a brown leather coat (not a jacket mind you, more of a dress coat) and was greeted with 3 Indy comments inside 5 minutes.

Go figure? [huh]

The Good

Call Me a Cab
elvisroe said:
Despite having worn fedora's since I was a kid I've never attracted the dreaded "Indy" comments when wearing a hat. So imagine my suprise when I arrived at work lidless but in a brown leather coat (not a jacket mind you, more of a dress coat) and was greeted with 3 Indy comments inside 5 minutes.

Go figure? [huh]

Wait a minute, did you say no hat? I thought that was the most important part about the Indiana Jones thing... your coat likely hardly resembled Indy's leather jacket, anyway. Heh, people. That was very random. I think this is the first Indiana Jones comment I've heard about with the person NOT wearing a hat (or any other gear for that matter)!

carldelo

One Too Many
elvisroe said:

Go figure? [huh]

It was the whip, right? You were carrying a whip, weren't you?

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Draw

I was in an airport wearing a Stetson and a guy says to me "where's your horse?"

I replied "he's home, he hates to fly."

I've used the same line at the mall when someone does the horse thing; "he's home, he hates shopping."

Sometimes I get asked "where's your six-guns?"

I tell them, "home, didn't think I'd need them till now."

But I missed a great opportunity once . . .in another airport waiting for my wife to come out of the ladies room. I was wearing a vintage Resistol western hat. Three drunk Brits walked past and one turns back toward me, stops and pulls his hand up like it's a gun and fires at me. I just looked passed him, but now, I wish I had fallen to the floor. Next gun fight, I'm taking a bullet.

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
The guy behind me in line at our corner market paid me a compliment on my Resistol vtg fedora,"Where do you even buy a hat like that?". Was`nt sure at first if he was being sarcastic or sincere but turns out he like the lid.
:D

I explained to the fellow how my fedora was vintage 60`s and unworn...and how I got a great deal for $60. "That`s like a FIVE HUNDRED DOLLAR hat! A thousand!".

Mind you,I`m not making fun of the gentleman--just thought it was dumb(but very cool!).

(yes,I did offer to make him a deal at only $200) :p

HMH

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Today I was walking my son home from a doctor appointment. Since today I've been watching him all day and doing work at home, I just wore jeans, t-shirt, and hiking boots as I do from time to time. While walking outside I threw on a dark blue raincoat and a black fedora. A van went by and one of the...persons inside yelled out "Look at that, another Jew!"

I am not Jewish, but I've been asked once before if I was out of genuine curiosity (I was wearing my black hat that time, too). This comment, especially considering the tone, was downright anti-semitic :rage:

Hereward

One of the Regulars
Stupidity is bad enough but hate-filled comments are a level below that.

The general civility of this forum and the fact that the people here strive to bring some light into the dark corners of modern life is one of the reason I like it here. Sadly not all our fellow humans share this.

Dean

New in Town
Three drunk Brits walked past and one turns back toward me, stops and pulls his hand up like it's a gun and fires at me.

Yep, thats about right for most Brits.

I once stood in an airport with a 9 foot surfboard bag with 'surfboard' written in large letters along the side - a guy waiting next to me asks "whats in there?"

I told him it was a collapsable plane and did he know which way the runway was....

DEAN.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Dean said:
I once stood in an airport with a 9 foot surfboard bag with 'surfboard' written in large letters along the side - a guy waiting next to me asks "whats in there?"

I told him it was a collapsable plane and did he know which way the runway was....

DEAN.

:eusa_doh: :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
4spurs said:
Sometimes I get asked "where's your six-guns?"

"Concealed... until needed"

'tell 'em like we do down here & let him sweat a little.
violent-smiley-044.gif

Nick D said:
Today I was walking my son home from a doctor appointment. Since today I've been watching him all day and doing work at home, I just wore jeans, t-shirt, and hiking boots as I do from time to time. While walking outside I threw on a dark blue raincoat and a black fedora. A van went by and one of the...persons inside yelled out "Look at that, another Jew!"

I am not Jewish, but I've been asked once before if I was out of genuine curiosity (I was wearing my black hat that time, too). This comment, especially considering the tone, was downright anti-semitic :rage:

On the wierd side of stupid comments, I was asked Saturday---in an antique shop of all places if I was Italian while I was wearing a straw milan. Why? "Because in France Italians wear nice hats." :rolleyes: :eusa_doh: Obviously she was French by her accent. I suppose I'll remember that if I am ever surrendering and eating cheese at the same time.

sixties.nut

Suitably enough for this topic ???

Jimmy,

That little tyke in your icon there. That wouldn't be LizzieMaine as a youngster would it. Well they do have that stern 'whatchutalk'nboutwillis' look!lol

sixties

Big_e

Practically Family
Earlier this year, I was wearing my black Penny's overcoat and my black Porkpie and a co-worker told me that people may mistaken me for a Jew. I told her, "that's fine, I'll take compliments where I can get them.".
Ernest

Nick D said:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats