Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Gap and Audrey Hepburn...

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Twitch said:
There was a time not long ago when TV commercials used unknown singers/musicians to make copies of hit tunes because acquiring the rights for use of an original was prohibitively expensive. Some artists whined about how using their music in the context of selling something was unsavory somehow. Then Bill Gates sought to use the Stone's "Start Me Up" for the kick off of Windoze 95. Mick Jagger basically said, "Oh no we won't...he's offering HOW much!?!" Ever since original music has been finding its way into commercials for some reason. Could it be the now-collosal use payments?lol
You're so right! I remember Led Zepplin used to say that they'd never sell out. Now they are being used in every Cadillac commercial. Sting is singing for Jaguar, and a few other's I can't recall at the moment. There is just so much money in advertising now-a-days, a lot of people who wouldn't have ten years ago, are now selling out.

Twitch

I guess if we think really hard we'd recall some songs used in commercials that just didn't fly. I can't think of any at the moment but I know I've made statements to the effect of "Knights in White Satin does go with that!"lol

Hondo

One Too Many
Theres just too many mixed feelings about this, its not helping Gap sell clothes (see link below) I had a feeling that Audrey Hepburn if alive today, wouldn't approve of this ad. This quote from her bio says it all.

Her biographer as saying that being used in an ad "directly contradicts her own sense of values, which did not place clothes very highly on a list of important things."

Audrey Hepburn falls into The Gap

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4326967/

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Interesting idea, awful execution

Audrey Hepburn's presence in the commercial doesn't bother me (although that dance sequence is one of my least favorite of her movie moments) it's the execution of the idea that is so totally off in my mind.

Audrey Hepburn+skinny black pants=marketing genius. When I think of Audrey I think of all those stills of her in the skinny black pants from Funny Face or the Breakfast at Tiffany's gown and what girl wouldn't want to look like Audrey?

Audrey Hepburn + AC DC=? Total disconnect. I get the "Back in Black" connection but the song is jarring and from a completely different time period that conjures up anything but elegance or a clean line, which is presumably the image they are selling with the pants. Creating the little "rap" from the Funny Face dialogue annoys me but could have worked with better music. At the end of the commercial instead of thinking "what great pants!" I was thinking "what the h***"?

On a slight ramble it is so sad that The Gap has stumbled so far. I lived in Gap clothes in college but I haven't bought anything from them in 10 years due to bad fit and unappealing styles. In my head they should be marketing themselves as the cheaper J Crew or Banana Republic.

Daisy Buchanan

Hondo said:
Theres just too many mixed feelings about this, its not helping Gap sell clothes (see link below) I had a feeling that Audrey Hepburn if alive today, wouldn't approve of this ad. This quote from her bio says it all.

Her biographer as saying that being used in an ad "directly contradicts her own sense of values, which did not place clothes very highly on a list of important things."

Audrey Hepburn falls into The Gap

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4326967/
Great article, Hondo.
The writer certainly expresses an opinion that has been expressed here in this thread. I'm glad to hear again that a Gap will be making some sort of donation to a cause that Ms. Audrey was passionate about.
I'm glad to hear that the opinion of others outside of the lounge is similar to what we are talking about.
Another, off topic thing about the article is the mention of the VW ads. Oh how I hate those commercials where the people are all happy and yapping away in their VW, and then out of nowhere, BOOM! This doesn't make me thinkg that VW's are incredibly safe. Like the article says, it makes the viewer associate horrifying accidents with the automobile. Well, my point is, there are a lot of commercials out there today that are meant to do one thing, and end up doing the complete opposite. I find a lot of commercials out there today completely alienating.

Hondo

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
Great article, Hondo.
The writer certainly expresses an opinion that has been expressed here in this thread. I'm glad to hear again that a Gap will be making some sort of donation to a cause that Ms. Audrey was passionate about.
I'm glad to hear that the opinion of others outside of the lounge is similar to what we are talking about.
Another, off topic thing about the article is the mention of the VW ads. Oh how I hate those commercials where the people are all happy and yapping away in their VW, and then out of nowhere, BOOM! This doesn't make me thinkg that VW's are incredibly safe. Like the article says, it makes the viewer associate horrifying accidents with the automobile. Well, my point is, there are a lot of commercials out there today that are meant to do one thing, and end up doing the complete opposite. I find a lot of commercials out there today completely alienating.

100 percent agree, my sentiments exactly, especially the VW ads, I’ve been in a few auto accidents, and on second or third view of this commercial I turn my head away, I’ll always remember her in Breakfast at Tiffany's and the song "Moon River", also glad Gap donates to Ms Hepburn’s charity.

Twitch

Hey speaking of commercials I'll bet you haven't noticed this. In the last probably 2 years max, there is, to me, a frustrating trend at foot. Notice during a commercial break that you will see a commercial followed by another different one and THEN they repeat the 1st commercial!!

Do they think we're idiots and missed it the first time? Is it simply pounding it into our sensory organs for the sake of it? Do they inagine this isn't noticed by us? Do they imagine it doesn't piss us off?:rage:

Doh!

One Too Many
Luckily, with my digital recorder, I tend to skip right over most commercials so haven't actually seen this trend. Other than "Lost" or some news programs, I almost always record shows to watch later -- and then skip right past the commercials.

S

Samsa

Twitch said:
Hey speaking of commercials I'll bet you haven't noticed this. In the last probably 2 years max, there is, to me, a frustrating trend at foot. Notice during a commercial break that you will see a commercial followed by another different one and THEN they repeat the 1st commercial!!

Do they think we're idiots and missed it the first time? Is it simply pounding it into our sensory organs for the sake of it? Do they inagine this isn't noticed by us? Do they imagine it doesn't piss us off?:rage:

I guess I assumed that when this happened it was a glitch. On reflection, though, that's not very likely...

lindylady

A-List Customer
Twitch said:
I'd be curious to know if the commercial successfully stimulated sales of thin black pants.[huh]

I'm not sure, but if you go past any Gap store in DC, they've taken the Audrey poster boards down and replaced them with their usual blase prints of people in jackets, jeans, and basic tanks. I don't know how their customers distinguish them from past seasons.

Daisy Buchanan

John in Covina said:
Love it or hate it, you're still doing what the GAP wanted, you're talking about it.
Yes, I too have to dis-agree with you here (sorry John). Like previously stated, all we are doing is talking about it. If the ad worked, we would all be running to the store and buying them. Then this thread would be called "Show us your cool skinny black pants".
Lot's of commercials get people talking. But talking doesn't necessarily make the money. I don't see anyone here saying that this commercial was so great and impressive that they must run out and get these pants.
In a way, you and Neceerie are correct. The commercial did catch all of our eyes, we certainly noticed it. But that is only part of the goal, and it is the smaller part too. You can hook a fish, but might not have the strength to reel it in. The commercial got us talking, that's it. Unless all of you are running to the gap to buy them, and just haven't admitted to it yet.

Daisy Buchanan said:
all we are doing is talking about it. If the ad worked, we would all be running to the store and buying them. Unless all of you are running to the gap to buy them, and just haven't admitted to it yet.

Here is the field:
Total disregard of ad
Talking about it
Buying the product

Talking about it is closer to buying than total disregard, and our talking about it may make some one go from maybe to I will but them.

Will more women buy the pants if the ad is run or not run?

It doesn'y matter to me at all, I ain't buying, not even as a gift. But a good ad can simply make a vendor maore accessable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany