Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The GE Monitor Top a classic kitchen icon.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, early last month I spotted this little guy at an antique shop... they only had $200. on it and they said they'd go down to $125. I couldn't pass this chance up to own a Monitor Top GE. I've always wanted one for as long as I could recall.

35gemonitortop.jpg

It's in the garage right now and it's waiting a repaint... which I will get around to soon or later. I did have it plugged in, it runs but, I had it running for over an hour or more and it wasn't seeming to be getting very cool... Is there a chance that this machine is spent? May need a recharge or, does it need to run longer... the motor was getting very warm on top and I turned it off after two hours of running.

Are there any GE Monitor Top experts out there? I'd sure like your input.

Mav

A-List Customer
Call an appliance guy. Could need refrigerant, which is no longer a DIY procedure, and I'll guarantee you you'll need new door gaskets, unless they've been recently replaced.

If it turns out that you need a new compressor, it'll be expensive, and I'm not even sure there are replacements available.

(Not an expert, BTW- I used to be in the commercial refrigeration biz).

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Mav said:
Call an appliance guy. Could need refrigerant, which is no longer a DIY procedure, and I'll guarantee you you'll need new door gaskets, unless they've been recently replaced.

If it turns out that you need a new compressor, it'll be expensive, and I'm not even sure there are replacements available.

(Not an expert, BTW- I used to be in the commercial refrigeration biz).

No longer a DIY experience?

I doubt that your refrigeration man can recharge this machine, which probably uses Sulfur Dioxide as a refrigerant (a few of these 1934 machines used Methyl Formate)

Now, it's been my experience that these machines seldom need recharging, but they suffer various maladies.

One thing to do is to let the machine sit for 24 hours after moving before starting it. Often the evaporator will ice nicely. Next step is to check the float valve. Using a strong magnet (the magnet salvaged from a BIG modern loudspaeker will usually do the trick) try to move the float, located inside the cylinder mounted on the motor board. Allow the machine to sit a further day, then plug it in and check for ice on the evaporator.

The last resort would be to remove the machine from the top of the cabinet (it just lifts off) and gently turn it upside down for a few minutes. Place it back on top of the cabinet, wait 24 hours, and try the machine again.

As far as new compressors, the Monitor Top refrigerator uses a sealed-in-steel compressor. They are designed to be exceptionally long lived, but are not replaceable, save replacing the entire top.

Mav

A-List Customer
vitanola said:
I doubt that your refrigeration man can recharge this machine, which probably uses Sulfur Dioxide as a refrigerant (a few of these 1934 machines used Methyl Formate)

Yeah, it'll be one of the two. I wonder if anyone does a R-134A retrofit on these? Be expensive as hell, probably.
Any idea if the condensor coil is accessible? Might be as simple as cleaning it.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
FM - That's a gorgeous machine! There's a thread or individual or whatever on Facebook who goes by the name of "I'm so old I remember using a dial phone". Well, I'm so old that I can remember when these babies were still in fairly common use.
I believe I've seen ads (put up by you?) for these machines new. I think in 1934 this baby would have cost the equivalent of maybe $3,000 today. I major investment for its first owner. I hope you can get it working.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Mav said:
Yeah, it'll be one of the two. I wonder if anyone does a R-134A retrofit on these? Be expensive as hell, probably.
Any idea if the condensor coil is accessible? Might be as simple as cleaning it.

The decorative ribs on the drum-shaped monitor top ARE the condenser. The drum acts as an ample heat sink.

R-134 doesn't have the heat-carrying capacity for the relatively small condenser.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
vitanola said:
No longer a DIY experience?

Now, it's been my experience that these machines seldom need recharging, but they suffer various maladies.

One thing to do is to let the machine sit for 24 hours after moving before starting it. Often the evaporator will ice nicely. Next step is to check the float valve. Using a strong magnet (the magnet salvaged from a BIG modern loudspaeker will usually do the trick) try to move the float, located inside the cylinder mounted on the motor board. Allow the machine to sit a further day, then plug it in and check for ice on the evaporator.

The last resort would be to remove the machine from the top of the cabinet (it just lifts off) and gently turn it upside down for a few minutes. Place it back on top of the cabinet, wait 24 hours, and try the machine again.

As far as new compressors, the Monitor Top refrigerator uses a sealed-in-steel compressor. They are designed to be exceptionally long lived, but are not replaceable, save replacing the entire top.

Thanks! I really appreciate the help!

vitanola said:

It just lifts off... Yeah, with the strength of two large men! lol

When we brought it home, we took the top off, set it up-side-down in the back of my friend's car, we moved the whole machine in the back of his Prius, and we got it back to my place, un-loaded the unit and we were going to put the top back on it however, we noticed water coming out from the opening at the top of the cabinet when it was laying on it's back. So, I decided to let it air out and the water to evaporate. Just the other day a strong friend helped me put it back on. I plugged it in and let it go... it was making the sounds of running but, after a few hours it wasn't cooling. I turned it off and posted a thread here.

I haven't turned it on in a whole day... so, should I try turning it on now?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, contacted a nice young guy here in So Cal that is learning just about all there is to know about Monitor Tops. So much so, he has repair books and a very simple start to collecting the machines.

He came over and we tried to bleed the lines in the top... by heating a pot of water and putting in the evaporator and seeing bubbles come out at an opening by the float valve.

After an afternoon in the garage, it was a no go, turns out that it is out of gas... My unit is a CA-1 B and that type used methyl formate... He said that he's going to do some digging and find out if he can get some in a gas form.

So, she'll be waiting till then... if it can't be re-charged, then I'll have to find another top... he said that the CK types are plentiful and shouldn't be tough to find for my fridge.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
AtomicEraTom said:
Just remember, anything can be fixed!

Actually, repairing a welded-in-steel Monitor Top mechanism is rather akin to
repairing a burnt-out light bulb. The repair is possible, but not economically justifiable.

The CK machines are indeed common, and FM should find one presently.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
It's really interesting, this friend of mine has one of the only books that mention and show how to repair a TYPE CA. It has pictures and everything. He mentioned that it's just a matter of finding the gas to recharge it with.

If I find another top for this machine before he finds a source for the refrigerant, then I'll go that rout.

A light bulb is a replacement part, just as the top of this monitor top could be, if it cannot be recharged.

vitanola said:
Actually, repairing a welded-in-steel Monitor Top mechanism is rather akin to
repairing a burnt-out light bulb. The repair is possible, but not economically justifiable.

The CK machines are indeed common, and FM should find one presently.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, it's been some time since I've posted anything to this thread... Things have changed quite a bit since I posted this thread here.

Well, since December last year, I saw an appliance store on Rosemead blvd in East Pasadena that was for sale, it's been closed for years now but, as I drove by one day on the way home from work there was a 1935 GE standard sized Monitor Top in the window, had a huge "For Sale" sign on it and I stopped and wrote down the number.

I called the number and spoke to Mike, he started into a song and dance about how these fridges are worth 2-3k when painted up... I asked him what he wanted... he said he'd take $300. Well, I asked if it worked and how well and blah, blah, blah... he said it worked well and gave me all the info I needed.

Well, I keep seeing it each time I drove home from work... It's not a bad little machine, it starts to speak to me each time I pass it saying: Hey, you in the car, you know you want me... lol Truth is, yes, I did... Well, I finally decide I want it... So, what to do now.... I realized I couldn't keep both fridges I already had, the 1940 GE and the 1934 Monitor Top.... So, I came to an agreement with the other half and she said that so long as there is only one fridge in the kitchen, I can get it!

I call up a friend near by who has coveted the 1940 GE for many years, always said: If you ever want to sell it, let me know, I'll give you good money for it! So, I call him up and tell him what's going down... He said he'd give me $300. for it! Well, perfect we spend a Saturday moving fridges around, the '34 apartment size GE goes into the Garage and still keeps a good portion of our VHS tapes safe, and the '40 GE goes to my friends house which is a 40s paradise in of it's self!

So, now I have this 1935 GE model CK-2-B16 sitting in the kitchen working like a champ! In original condition, not restored! Here are some photos to give ya an idea!

Enjoy:

img6643b.jpg

ck2b162.jpg

This sticker is more rare than you would believe... I've seen many inside door panels, none have this, this intact!
ck2b16doorsticker.jpg

This machine is an energy sipper deluxe, more so than the '40! Since heat is drawn up and out of the cabinet by this method, the Monitor Top was known as GE's most efficient refrigerator.

In the future, I plan to paint it white again but for now, it's just fine as it is... And yes, the foot peddle dose work very well! :D The door still swings open and still bashes shins just as it did 76 years ago! Hence the nick name it was lovingly given: "The shin basher" ;)

Last edited:

PoohBang

Suspended
that's an awesome fridge! But why is your milk out on top of it? And practically, it can't store much can it? What do you do for a freezer? Or don't you cook much?

I'd suggest never painting it.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Whaddya know- the buildings are all still there! Unfortunately over the years they've lost just about everything they had going for them architecturally. Now you'd never look twice.

bronx.jpg

flushing.jpg

brooklyn1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner