Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This "sucks"... the Hoover And Other Vintage Vacuum Cleaners

Flivver

Practically Family
I'll have to make a point to get up to the attic and root around.

But I don't think I'll be parting with it...that Buick Dynaflow sound is addictive!

Talbot

One Too Many
Bourbon Guy said:
That's like the electrolux my mother got back in the 50's. It's now in my garage. Does a good job on the inside of the car. [aside: I haven't seen a galvanized bucket in a while, either.]

They can also work on the outside of the car. I have seen spray painting accessories for these, but I've never been able to give them a try.

Talbot

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Might want to ask the guys and gals at the VACCC club what they recommend:
http://www.vaccc.com/

BTW, I was given this circa. 1922 Beatty "cadillac" model vacuum cleaner last year by the owner of a local historical house I used to look after.
The Beatty company was located in Fergus, Ontario, Canada.

2105553054_1f505a18da.jpg
2555749654_298e819832.jpg

2105562646_db41cc23a6.jpg

2104778007_4d5698d0d2.jpg

2104780627_fd11443611.jpg

I've cleaned it up a lot since these photos and it looks great.
Even though it's equipped to work with 20 or 60 cycle power I still don't have the nerve to plug it in and start it up. Also, sadly, I haven't made the time to have it looked over by a pro, so I can't say if it works well.

Another project on the list of many...

As far as modern vacuums go - Have you tried a Dyson vacuum?
They're extremely expensive, but seem to be built to last a long time and work efficiently.

epr25

Practically Family
I have a 50's aqua electrolux that takes the bags that are still made. It works wonderfully! I would recommend getting an older vacuum. I have had this one for years. It's only the new appliances that let me down.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
I have this old dependable Electrolux Canister Vacuum. The model dates back to the early 70's. Unlike the glider that Lizzie has, this one has wheels and uses disposable vacuum bags, which are still readily available in most major supermarket chains.

vhrj4m.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
lol

l_149cc9f11d48483984acdf9ddb8e4744.jpg

That my friends is what I hope my model 700 will look like when I'm finished... or, somewhat close to it.

A friend of mine gave me the cleaner, it's in pieces now and I have the motor out at a local vac shop getting the motor to handle cord replaced as it was all dried up and shot. I'm polishing the once highly polished aluminum body and parts... tough work! Especially since the head of the darn thing is scratched up pretty good on one side. This cleaner was reconditioned by Hoover in the 40s, the handle fork you see in the ad is polished aluminum and the handle fork on mine was painted a muddy brown crinkle paint. Also, the dust bag on mine is brown and isn't the correct bag. I'd sure like to find the black one that says The HOOVER in orange on it some day.

Right now I'm watching an original set of dusting tools on ebay... comes in the original box and is for this model! I hope it stays low, I sure want them tools!

I'll post photos of the cleaner once I get the motor back from the vac shop and start to put it all back together.

Remember, only "The HOOVER" has positive Agitation. "It beats, as it sweeps, as it cleans"!

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Very cool, can't wait to see shots of the actual thing. Please post the progress shots.

I have a Beatty "Cadillac" vacuum from the 1920s that probably needs to be serviced. I haven't tested mine in fear it will overload. It's in good physical shape but sat in an attic for several years.

3596614349_7568faefd4.jpg

Cadillac on right, Bissell sweeper on left (unpowered).

2555749654_298e819832.jpg

1920s Beatty Cadillac advert. crop.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Sad to say I haven't taken any photos of the way it looked before I took it apart... lazy I guess. But, I can tell you, it sat in an attic for years and had a good deal of aluminum oxidation and dirt. I started to polish the whole body and took the motor off to the vacuum store to have a new motor to handle cord put on it... cost $40 bucks but, he pretty much rebuilt my motor and polished it up so it looks almost new! Couldn't be happier about it.

I'm going to take a photo of some of the other parts before I work on them, and then have the power cord replaced. Going to have to sew a few holes in the dust bag that will keep it in working order till I find the correct one I need for this machine.

I really like the cleaner you have there, it's very pretty! Straight suction cleaners of the 20s are neat! I like how it has it's original bag!!! Amazing! Hope you can get it checked out and runnin' again soon!

I hope to get the tool set on ebay right now for this model 700... If I win it I'll make it my household vacuum... a refurbished Hoover 700! How fun it will be!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Poor photo but...

It will show you how it looks right now.

700x.jpg

I haven't had much time to do much as of late, with work and such it's been tough to find time to work on the cleaner. I have to get the handle finished, just need to sand it some and apply some gloss black paint. The cleaner sounds really good and it really works well! It's amazing that a 80+ year old Hoover does work so well. They really put quality into their cleaners then. Look at the original price for the model 700 in the ad, $59.50 wasn't a drop in the bucket in the late 20s!

Soon as I get the handle painted and the dusting tools arrive, I'll take plenty of photos!

PS: Believe it or not, the handle fork that attaches to the machine was crinkle brown paint when I received the cleaner... I stripped it and polished it up really nicely how it should have been originally.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Well I can't speak for everyone over here, but all the people I know do 'hoovering' instead of 'vacuuming'! Although after a scary incident with a vintage hoover short-circuiting loudly on me, I now use a lovely, powerful Dyson! But I still hoover with it! ;)

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
Although after a scary incident with a vintage hoover short-circuiting loudly on me, I now use a lovely, powerful Dyson! But I still hoover with it! ;)

Just take it to a vacuum repair shop and have them put a new cord on it, shouldn't spark ya anymore after that. I "Hoover" only with a HOOVER myself and haven't had any problems with the earlier models such as the one pictured.

Interesting bit of history regarding the Hoover cleaner.

The model 700 was the first model to have the on/off switch in the handle and also the whole sales pitch with the "Positive Agitation" or the famous slogan of "It Beats... As it Sweeps... As it Cleans" was due to the extra metal bar on the roller brush which would beat the carpet to loosen the dirt deep down inside it and then the brushes would brush it into the cleaner as it sucked it up. Hoover pioneered that invention which has been found on many other cleaners many years later.

On these earlier models, the bag often says: EMTY AFTER EACH USE. This makes sense because it takes only a few times to nearly fill up the dust bag with dust dirt! it really is amazing how well this 80 year old cleaner works... and they made them to last! The lack of vents on the motor allows a sealed motor compartment free from dust and particles that would enter it to corrode and cause more ware on the motor. That is one big reason why the motors to Hoovers of this vintage seem to last forever!

I love my Hoover 700 so much I may have T-shirts made with the orange and black triangle badge on the head of the cleaner. I think that would be fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21