Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This "sucks"... the Hoover And Other Vintage Vacuum Cleaners

Forgotten Man said:
Have you used it on aluminum before?

The breaks are clean but, with cast aluminum it has a kind of a rough bubbled texture inside... I'll buy some and see if it works. If not, I may have a line on a replacement part.;)

It will work---especilly if it is rough and bubbled inside for it to grab onto. I have used it on plastic, iron, aluminum and even cardboard---toughest piece of cardboard I have ever seen. :p
A replacement part might be nice to have as well though.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
JB weld should be able to fix the brace thingy. I've used the product with much success mostly every time.
I love watching this thread, I always find it fun to watch something being restored to its former glory. This thread has inspired me to find a vacuum to restore and use!

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Hi FM,

Sorry to hear about the break in the horseshoe on the hoover.

Hope that glue works out for you. I don't want to put a sour note on doing so, but in my experience with super-glueing parts that need to handle any amount of torque or force - one day they will come apart again. Of course, I hope that's not the case with your part.

Hopefully you can find the same part in good shape off of a 'donor' Hoover like you said previously, that's always the best way to go if possible.

May the vintage vacuum cleaner gods bless you with a strong and true repair! ;)
I'll keep my fingers crossed (for good luck) for you too.

RetroToday said:
Hope that glue works out for you. I don't want to put a sour note on doing so, but in my experience with super-glueing parts that need to handle any amount of torque or force - one day they will come apart again. Of course, I hope that's not the case with your part.

JB Weld is actually not a super glue but a cold weld epoxy that is both heat and cold resistant. I have used it to seal holes and cracks in car manifolds. ;)

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Do you want me to go down there and fix it for you? :p
Yes, it does work on Aluminum. Just don't use it to fix soda cans and resell them. ;) :p

Oh man, then what am I going to use to put all these beer can bi-planes back together? Gotta recycle them I guess :( lol

I'll buy some JB and give it a shot... and if it don't work, I'll send you a bill for the stuff! lol

Deal?

Forgotten Man said:
Oh man, then what am I going to use to put all these beer can bi-planes back together? Gotta recycle them I guess :( lol

I'll buy some JB and give it a shot... and if it don't work, I'll send you a bill for the stuff! lol

Deal?

Deal! Send me the unused stuff as I have plenty of uses for it if you don't.
Using it for beer can airplanes is not what it was made for. :rolleyes: :p I am sure you could use it for that though.
Show us some of your bi-plane crafts. :D

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Deal! Send me the unused stuff as I have plenty of uses for it if you don't.
Using it for beer can airplanes is not what it was made for. :rolleyes: :p I am sure you could use it for that though.
Show us some of your bi-plane crafts. :D

I was kidding about the beer can bi-planes... I was joking as to using JB to bond all those cans back into cans from a bi-plane state... then, refill them and sell them as full cans of beer again... Sorry, silly joke I guess.lol

So, anyone buy a Hoover? There's a few on eBay right now!

Forgotten Man said:
I was kidding about the beer can bi-planes... I was joking as to using JB to bond all those cans back into cans from a bi-plane state... then, refill them and sell them as full cans of beer again... Sorry, silly joke I guess.lol

So, anyone buy a Hoover? There's a few on eBay right now!

Shhhhhh! I might want one of those! ;)
I thought you were going to make a full sized B-29 out of aluminun cans and JB Weld. ;) :p

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
435573414_a94c24ac32_o.jpg

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Forgotten Man said:

Whew! Sounds like she had a mid-life crisis and was getting prepared to have an affair with one of those "other men" if her husband didn't buy her a Hoover!

Beautiful advertisement ForgottenMan. :eusa_clap Is this one of your recent purchases?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
No, that's a 1926 or 27 ad for the model 700. They sure marketed these things to husbands to help them have more time by not having to clean the rugs the hard way!

But, in that day, a vacuum cleaner was really an investment... that model 700was originally $59. or so dollars. Hoover was a very costly machine but, one of the best you could buy at that time.

As of yesterday, I picked up yet another cleaner on the cheep... I found a brand name from Chicago I've never heard of... PACKARD! it's a straight suction upright from the mid 20s... works! I have no info on this machine, it's a mystery to some regards... first one I've ever found! I'll post photos later today and maybe have some info about the company if I do a little digging!

Forgotten Man said:
No, that's a 1926 or 27 ad for the model 700. They sure marketed these things to husbands to help them have more time by not having to clean the rugs the hard way!

But, in that day, a vacuum cleaner was really an investment... that model 700was originally $59. or so dollars. Hoover was a very costly machine but, one of the best you could buy at that time.

As of yesterday, I picked up yet another cleaner on the cheap... I found a brand name from Chicago I've never heard of... PACKARD! it's a straight suction upright from the mid 20s... works! I have no info on this machine, it's a mystery to some regards... first one I've ever found! I'll post photos later today and maybe have some info about the company if I do a little digging!

My grandmother used to have a Packard Bell TV so a vacuum doesn't seem too far fetched.
Husbands clean rugs?! :eek: :p

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
My grandmother used to have a Packard Bell TV so a vacuum doesn't seem too far fetched.
Husbands clean rugs?! :eek: :p

Well, Packard Bell was a different company... they were based here in California. This cleaner has a badge and I can't recall the manufacturer's name but, it's from Chicago. More info on the Packard cleaner later.

Good husband’s clean rugs... but, mostly they bought cleaners for their wives to clean the rugs... or maids.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Yes, in that era, the man was the bread winner of the home and Hoover knew this of course! And would encourage that the best gift for your wife was that of a Hoover cleaner!

Here's another great Christmas ad, this one is from 1926, the first year for the new flashy model 700:

hoover700.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy