Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This "sucks"... the Hoover And Other Vintage Vacuum Cleaners

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I Give you...

The PACKARD!

packardvac.jpg

packardvac3.jpg

And the last thing DIRT will see! lol

packardvac2.jpg

Well, the last thing the serface dust will see, then the Hoover will come and beat the reast out, see!lol

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
You know, I wish I could... I'm an odd duck in regards as finding an escape in house work, I buy these old cleaners and I just wind up loving them... I wish I had more time to focus on the house work, with a full time job and other obligations, I find it refreshing that on the off chance I get to find the time to vacuum or to organize the house.

Now, you may feel it a chore to do it every other day, seems that the house never stays clean does it? Now, figure its 1927 and you don't have a vacuum cleaner. Now, the only choice you have is to move the furniture that are on the rung, then roll it up and then requite some help from family members to drag the darn thing outside to hang it over a wall or a close line... then commence to beat it with a thick heart shaped piece of wicker or wire attached to a handle... after wearing your self out with many repeated revolutions of that carpet beater, you're covered in dirt consisting 80% of dried out human skin cells... and oh dust mites.

After doing this, you're tired and yet, there is still more to do yet! So, one day this handsome man shows up and says: Hello Miss, I'm with the Hoover Cleaner Corporation of Canton Ohio, and I have an answer to keeping your carpets cleaner and will save you time and energy compared to what you're doing now!

You buy one of these machines, you feel how easy it glides over the floor, you don't have to haul it out to the back yard to beat the daylights out of it no more, you can plug in this machine and it will beat as it sweeps as it cleans! And all you have to do is detach this dust bag and empty it into a trash can! WOW, what an amazing invention!

80 years later, the vacuum cleaner is no longer a new invention taking the home appliance world by storm... it's just become something that is standard in the home... and 90% of Americans hate to vacuum... well, after a reflection on what most women had to do to keep rugs clean, maybe a little history will brighten the task of pulling out a modern suction sweeper and be done with vacuuming within an hour and not most of the day! :D

Say, vacuuming ain't so bad!

My name is Robert and I approve this message!

the_more_you_know2.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Forgotten Man said:

Ok, swell!

so can you come over and do the vacuuming in my house every week, and while you are at it dust too?

thanks Robert.

:rolleyes:

[huh] :p

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Forgotten Man said:
The PACKARD!

packardvac3.jpg

Another neat old vacuum ForgottenMan, very similar in construction to my Beatty vacuum. Is it getting tough to find a place to store all your vacuums? [huh]

Hmmm, that Packard emblem reminds me a lot of the old Santa Fe Railroad logo, I wonder if that was what inspired the Packard's logo designer?

I have a 1920s Cadillac, and now you have a 1920s Packard.... ahh, if only we were talking about cars! :)

rr29283.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Forgotten Man said:
maybe a little history will brighten the task of pulling out a modern suction sweeper and be done with vacuuming within an hour and not most of the day! :D

History is nice for the brain, but, reality has a way of biting you like a strange buzzard........:eek:

I raise my son, cook everyday, playgroup, preschool, chop wood, do laundry, toilet train and clean.

Obviously I am not the average vintage guy around here, so in that spirit I give you..

ROBOT VAC

romi.jpg
mini-robot-vacuum.jpg

My name is CB and I approve this message....:p :p :p

Carlisle Blues said:
History is nice for the brain, but, reality has a way of biting you like a strange buzzard........:eek:

I raise my son, cook everyday, playgroup, preschool, chop wood, do laundry, toilet train and clean.

Obviously I am not the average vintage guy around here, so in that spirit I give you..

ROBOT VAC

romi.jpg
mini-robot-vacuum.jpg

My name is James and if you buy me one, I'll be happy. ;) :p
Does it chop wood and dust too? Can we get a Steampunk type model? :p

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
RetroToday said:
Another neat old vacuum FM, but just where will you store them all? [huh]

Hmmm, that Packard emblem reminds me a lot of the old Santa Fe Railroad logo, I wonder if that was what inspired the Packard's logo designer?

I have a 1920s Cadillac, and now you have a 1920s Packard.... ahh, if only we were talking about cars! :)

rr29283.jpg

Oh yes! Santa Fe came to mind when I saw the Packard logo on that vac... and yes, if our vacuums were cars we'd be just that much cooler!lol That's why I made that referance earlier about my Hoover seeming like a Cadillac and making a "Packard" look like a model T! lol

Here's a Santa Fe logo that really looks close to the Packard logo

l_4c554ab306df4944bd7dc7dcf73e70cc.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
My name is James and if you buy me one, I'll be happy. ;) :p
Does it chop wood and dust too? Can we get a Steampunk type model? :p

Give it a broom

Give it an axe

It cuts... it dices... it slices ...and it is slower than a 2 year old running to go potty...........

stwalker2.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Carlisle Blues said:

Obviously I am not the average vintage guy around here,

Ok Mr. Mom... maybe if you had read my complete post, you'd see I'm making a point as to how tough they had it then to how well we have it today! When people start to gripe about vacuuming with a modern cleaner, it's always good to remember how good we have it.

I don't care for plastic POS... after those RoBo Vacs have run out of batteries, my 1927 cast aluminum HOOVER will practice "Positive Agitation" on that Chinese cereal box trinket!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy