Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson A-2 Style Jacket

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
What do you guys think? I'm hardly an expert but even my eyes can pick up some not so accurate details. Still, for 429 bucks, I would give this a shot if Vanson would adjust the pattern or build one to my spec's.

I also asked if HH costs extra and whether they could slim down the sleeves and make a more tapered cut. We shall see...

http://www.vansonleathers.com/product_pages/jackets/ga22_mustang.htm

ga2a.jpg

GA2.jpg

442RCT

One of the Regulars
It's a nice looking jacket. As an orphan jacket collector, I'm curious why you chose this jacket vs buying an A-2 from a maker who 'specializes' in the A-2 niche market, i.e.- ELC, RMJ, etc.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
lol lol lol the Captain is on a mission to uncover every possible A-2 derivative on the planet ...... this one is pretty in that it is photographed well ... (well, better than some... )

Capt ... hurry up and choose one so we can start your 'Flying Tigers' tribute design in honour of your Dad ... I have already found a good combination of original and/or accurate repro CBI patches and blood chits to get you started!

Stop obsessing about the fit ... if it fits your shoulders and zips up and doesn't drown you in the chest and midriff it will be a good 'un! You can't get bespoke without going bespoke ... if you see what I mean...

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Speedbird said:
lol lol lol the Captain is on a mission to uncover every possible A-2 derivative on the planet ......
Here I thought that was my mission...to collect 'orphan' A-2s. :eusa_doh:

What did you have in mind for a Flying Tigers patcher ? AVG, 14th AF, CBI ???

Speedbird

A-List Customer
442RCT said:
What did you have in mind for a Flying Tigers patcher ? AVG, 14th AF, CBI ???

Chinese American Composite Wing and it's transition to 14th AF, with instead of a CBI patch, something specifically from the Chinese Air Force given what the Capt previously posted. Perhaps just the white sun on blue background.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Speedbird said:
Chinese American Composite Wing and it's transition to 14th AF, with instead of a CBI patch, something specifically from the Chinese Air Force given what the Capt previously posted. Perhaps just the white sun on blue background.
Thanks guys. What I need to do is pump my dad and uncle for more details about the exact role and unit my grandfather played with the nationalists. Unfortunately, my gf passed on years ago and any surviving photos or memorabilia, if they exist, are half way round the world in Taiwan with my uncle. I'm going to see if perhaps a photo survives of him in the flight jacket in question. At this point, I don't even know if it was a m-422 or an A-2. Or perhaps it was a civilian leather jacket or a theater-made one. I think a photo would help.

In any case, I'm going to shy away from patching up any jacket with squadron patches or anything like that. Just not my personal style. But I am going to get a silk screened blood chit sewn into the interior lining of one of my flight jackets. Still shopping around. I like the ones with the Nationalist star. It would be a quiet tribute to a man who served during the war, became a mid-level officer in Taiwan's air force and later became a school teacher and father of two.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I asked around about this same jacket a few years back. IIRC, Vanson will not do direct sales, even on special orders. You'd have to go thru a cycle shop, who won't have this model in stock to try on. So no try-on and no return. Basically, I don't think they want to mess with it.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
I asked around about this same jacket a few years back. IIRC, Vanson will not do direct sales, even on special orders. You'd have to go thru a cycle shop, who won't have this model in stock to try on. So no try-on and no return. Basically, I don't think they want to mess with it.
Well that's a deal killer for me if true. I emailed their sales dept to get some answers.

theman

Vendor
Cap'n - Some custom adjustments shouldn't be a problem at all since you're staying within the A-2 design realm. I can handle setting up the order for you if you like. No need to find a cycle shop or whatever to have to go through, and honestly I don't know where that is coming from...going straight to Vanson would do fine for getting this setup with some custom spec adjustments if you don't feel like going through a distributor.

There is some crazy direct customer jackets that have been done out of there! :) And my Wolverine stuff started out as a regular customer custom order talking directly to Vanson.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Captain -

I'm going to insert a little plug here for Dan (theman) - I would bet you'll save money doing a custom order through him.

I was looking into getting a custom color Vanson Enfield through him a little while back, and his quote was about $75 cheaper than the quote that Vanson gave me.

I have no affiliation with him, and haven't worked with him (yet) but I've heard a lot of good things from others who have.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Happy to hear it's not as complicated as I thought.

Unrelated story: there was a Mustang on eBay awhile back and I wrote the seller asking for some measurements and such. The dude just wrote back, "It's NEW and it's HORSEHIDE" as if I was nuts to ask about how it fit. :eusa_doh: Helloooo???

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
Happy to hear it's not as complicated as I thought.

Unrelated story: there was a Mustang on eBay awhile back and I wrote the seller asking for some measurements and such. The dude just wrote back, "It's NEW and it's HORSEHIDE" as if I was nuts to ask about how it fit. :eusa_doh: Helloooo???

At least he didn't write back it's got a 289, four on the floor and answers to the name of Eleanor .... lol lol lol

HAMMER

New in Town
Vanson A-2 Surprise Best 'Hand' of All

When shopping a few weeks ago for a Vanson MC jacket, ran across their A-2in my size and it blew me away, and it has a better "hand" then even Aero's A-2, very heavy and stiff hide, box stitched hanger, authentic hook clasp, and even 'made in usa" Talon zipper, which Aero does not have.

I own an original Beacon NY Aero A-2 as well as Aero Scotland's 50th anniversary issue of the same Aero A-2 as well as numerous other Aero's such as the Highwayman in very heavy steer, and the Dirtrider in very heavy horsehide.

The Vanson has a crisper, stiffer hand. The hide is about 6 oz without a hint of softness. Its drape is not really a drape. It does not drape per se, but fits perfectly with no sag. Although Aero and Vanson used to source their hides from the same place, and both chrome tan, the Vanson has a more vegetable-tanned feel, like shoe leather.

I'll post pics when I get them onto a web server. But don't be afraid of buying Vanson even tho they don't specialize in military repro, they have the best A-2 anywhere in terms of the leather itself.

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
captaincaveman1 said:
What do you guys think? I'm hardly an expert but even my eyes can pick up some not so accurate details. Still, for 429 bucks, I would give this a shot if Vanson would adjust the pattern or build one to my spec's.

I also asked if HH costs extra and whether they could slim down the sleeves and make a more tapered cut. We shall see...

http://www.vansonleathers.com/product_pages/jackets/ga22_mustang.htm

ga2a.jpg

GA2.jpg
Don't know if this matters to you or not, but check with Vanson to see if it's made in the US. Many of their jackets are made in El Salvador now. They won't tell you where it's going to be made unless you ask. I was told by them I could specify a "Made in the USA" jacket but that it would take longer and cost more.:(

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
jimmer_5 said:
Captain -

I'm going to insert a little plug here for Dan (theman) - I would bet you'll save money doing a custom order through him.

I was looking into getting a custom color Vanson Enfield through him a little while back, and his quote was about $75 cheaper than the quote that Vanson gave me.

I have no affiliation with him, and haven't worked with him (yet) but I've heard a lot of good things from others who have.
No direct experience w/ Dan but only hear positive things about him via the Film Jacket forum. Plus, he's one of those few vendors who's frequently on the boards and channels customer feedback to the manufacturer. Just look what he did w/ the Wolverine jackets.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Vanson A2 is actually a very nice pattern, they never meant to replicate a historical A2. The vanson jackets in general are ergonomic and very civil looking, comfortable, tough, daily wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace