Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage/Retro Cosmetic brands?

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Hi ladies! Because of my work, I use industry lines, but am curious to see what kinds of vintage or retro inspired makeup lines there are? I have heard of Besamé, and I believe Benefit & Bourjois are retro in theme. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Revlon still makes a number of their popular vintage colors (fire and ice, cherries in the snow, etc). Unfortunately for me, I have olive skin and Revlon tends towards the blue-red side of the spectrum, but you sure can't beat the price!

Stila makes a good semi-sheer foundation -- I think it is their "illuminating foundation" -- that might work at imitating the dewy look of oil-based 30s make-up. It's nice and light and you can layer for coverage if you need to. I've also powdered over it for a matte look with no problems, though I suspect a true matte foundation would give a more perfect finish.

~ Queenie.

magneto

Practically Family
I like Coty powder (same box pattern since ~World War I) and Max Factor (good enough for Claudette Colbert and Bette Davis, good enough for me!) foundation. And of course, Pond's Cold Cream is a girl's best friend. :)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love to play around with different types of make-up. It has taken me years to really get down the right kinds for my skin tone. I have lots of freckles, ugh! But, I find that Trish McEvoy makes a great foundation and powder. I used to use her eye shadow, but I was going through it too fast, and can't bring myself to spend the money on it. So, now for eyes I use Clinique. It's hypo allergenic, and seems to stay on all day. I hate when I use the darker shades of shadow, and it goes on flakey and gets all over. Clinique does not do this. I have also found another shadow, that I really like a lot, and the price is right. I got it at CVS, but I'm sure they sell it at other pharmacies. It's by Physicians Formula, wet/dry shadow in Baked Smokes. It goes on smooth, and stays on. I love their mascara too. It is a 2 in 1, one side black, and the other side clear to set it. It really lengthens and curls, and like the shadow stays on and doesn't smudge.
Now for lipstick. Max Factor got me with all of their commercials, and the fact that the movie stars use it. I have a 2 piece set from them, unfortunately I don't have the name, but the style number is 118. The color is a creamy red, it is in the style of a lipgloss, but solid color. Then you set it with a clear gloss that comes with it. It stays on all day. I gave my white dog a kiss on the head, and nothing came off. No yucky stains on the glasses, yahoo. It is great. You will need to remove it with Bag Balm or some other petroleum jelly. But the color is so vintage. I also really like Revlon Lip Glide in Ruby Slippers 190. It doesn't stay on as long as the Max Factor, but is is red and shiny and very vintage.
I also found a black eyeliner by Styli-Style. It's a flat liner that blends beautifully. Got this at CVS too. Color 401 New York.
Well to sum up this long e-mail. If your not on a budget check out Trish McEvoy. She makes beautiful foundations and shadows. Otherwise Clinique and Stila are awesome. But I was surprised at the great vintage inspired colors that I found at the local pharmacy. Max Factor, Physicians Formula, and Revlon all had great shadows, liners, and lipstick.
Has there been a thread on how to apply liner and eyeshadow? I would love to have pictures of how the starletts did there eyes so big and bold and colorful.
Sorry for this long post!!
Daisy

Daisy Buchanan

Besame

I found this while looking at this site. It's called Besame. I ordered some lip gloss, since I love lip gloss and am always looking for new ones. Anyway, I saw it was mentioned in this thread, and just wanted to pass on a link of where you can get it. Has anyone ever used it before?? They make it sound as if it was taken from recipes of the thirties.
http://www.mybabyjo.com/cosmetics.htm

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
I found this while looking at this site. It's called Besame. I ordered some lip gloss, since I love lip gloss and am always looking for new ones. Anyway, I saw it was mentioned in this thread, and just wanted to pass on a link of where you can get it. Has anyone ever used it before?? They make it sound as if it was taken from recipes of the thirties.
http://www.mybabyjo.com/cosmetics.htm

Hi Daisy --

A number of the gals have used Besame, I think you can find reviews in some of the other archived make-up threads. I have their loose powder and their Besame Red lipstick. I'll admit I was suckered in by the packaging, but the products are good. Not fantastic for the price, but I didn't feel like I overpaid too much. The packaging is gorgeous, but be warned -- the packages are TINY. The lipstick will last, since I very rarely need to reapply it during the day, and it's a nice matte formula that isn't too drying and doesn't have a weird taste. The colors are great, but I suspect you could go to Sephora and color match with their store brand and only pay 7 dollars for a tube twice or three times the size. One thing I will say about the tiny lipstick is that it's perfectly sized for an evening clutch -- it's slim and short and will leave room for other essentials in there!

The powder has a nice texture, but I find it too drying for my skin, and because of my olive complexion, it looks too ashy when I wear it. Smells fantastic, though!

~ Queenie.

D-Day-Doll

Familiar Face
I just went and bought some more cosmetics (as if I didn't have enough to begin with!!) inspired by reading some of the makeup posts. I got two shades of Coty powder and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised! In my job I use professional products like Katiemakeup mentioned so I've never used many drugstore cosmetics. But I'm really happy with Coty! I bought two shades- one was Pale Neutral and the other was Muted Beige (slightly pink toned). Both are quite pale just like me! I recommend them for my fellow pale ladies.

I also bought Revlon lipstick in Certainly Red. Its very cherry red and has alot of pigment. I was also impressed with this product and its the first thing I've ever used from Revlon. Its comfortable to wear, not to glossy, not too matte.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Clinique has a color called Vintage Red but it's very bright red.

Daisy, I think you can order directly from Besame and it's a bit cheaper. Sometimes they'll run a special where you get an extra gift or free shipping for orders over a certain $ amount. Get on their email list and they'll send updates.
http://www.besamecosmetics.com/

I have Merlot. It'd probably be a great color for you too. You may be able to still request samples of their lipsticks like I did about a year ago. I was pretty much globs put on paper and covered with wax paper I believe. I used a lip brush to apply them.

Daisy Buchanan

ITG said:
Clinique has a color called Vintage Red but it's very bright red.

Daisy, I think you can order directly from Besame and it's a bit cheaper. Sometimes they'll run a special where you get an extra gift or free shipping for orders over a certain $ amount. Get on their email list and they'll send updates.
http://www.besamecosmetics.com/

I have Merlot. It'd probably be a great color for you too. You may be able to still request samples of their lipsticks like I did about a year ago. I was pretty much globs put on paper and covered with wax paper I believe. I used a lip brush to apply them.
Thank you ITG. I'm always looking for new types of make-up. I especially like the looks of the containers that Besame comes in. I'll definitely check out the site.
Thanks again,
Daisy

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Does anyone know how Besame travels? I've been having so much trouble with eyeshadows. I travel a lot and since I first started wearing makeup (12 years ago?) any time I take my makeup on a plane, I get my bags back and all the eyeshadows have crumbled in their pots. I tape the pots closed, but that just keeps the powder from getting all over everything; the makeup is still crumbled. MAC, Lorac, & Stila all do that. (The Lorac blushes do that too). I've found that Laura Mercier survives the plane. I think it may be because they are packaged in thin, flat boxes instead of little round pots. Then again, I don't love the LM color palette. I love them for concealer, foundation, & powder, but they don't have the color range of the MAC shadows.

BV

Mrs. Foss

New in Town
Original Formula Makeup

I've tried to round up a small list of make up products that haven't changed in a million years.

Pancake makeup by Max Factor (1937)
Tangee Lipstick (Sometime in the 1920's)
Tabu Lipstick (Sometime in the 1950's)
Coty Airspun Powder (WW1 era)
Bourjois Blush - I can't find the number of the correct color (1863, the first powder blush)
Alexandra de Markoff Foundation (Sometime in the 1920's)

What did I leave out? Does anyone know of any other original formula cosmetics?

~Mrs. Foss

ChorusGirl

Familiar Face
BettyValentine said:
Does anyone know how Besame travels? I've been having so much trouble with eyeshadows.

BV

Lauren- Do I recall correctly that your Besame eyeshadow crumbled on your way back from Scotland?

Addi

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yup, it did. It crumbled when I got back, and a piece got knocked off while I was there. But it did stand up to three countries before it crumbled :)
I didn't really it personally, but I LOVE the containers.

Daisy Buchanan

My Stila eyeshadow has traveled very well and they have a pretty wide spectrum of colors.
Can anyone reccommend a nice shade of red lipstick that will not run or bleed?? I have one from Max Factor, it goes on like a gloss, and you set it with a clear gloss, yet I'm burning out on the color. And, it's great that it stays on all day, and doesn't come off on glasses when I drink. But, it's kind of a pain to try and take off. I'm looking for a nice red that won't make me look like I have a stain around the edges of my lips.

Daisy Buchanan

Ugh, posting twice in a row. sorry.
I just got the besame products that I ordered a last week. It was shipped in beautiful packaging, and handled with care. I played around with it today, and am very happy with it. Especially the lipstick. I got the vanity case that holds foundation, some poweders and three eyeshadows that all complement each other, and I must say they are all quite nice. So, I would highly recommend this product. Besides, the packaging is great!

cherrypinupgal

New in Town
Hi all,

I just wanted to post a few things that are helpful to me in the makeup world. I apologize if they have been mentioned before.

Makeup alley is a wonderful resource for all things cosmetic. It is made up of real world reviews of every product you can imagine. This is a valuable resource for me, because my skin is very sensitive and acne prone. I am able to read the reviews to get an idea if the product will work for me with no problems.

Makeup 411 has a lot of great Beauty breakdowns on what some of our fav stars have worn in films. Great to take a look a period based films to get an idea of what hollywood is using these days. ;)

Kevyn Aucoin's website has some wonderful makeup tools and his books are really top notch. Very helpful at creating some dramatic period looks.

makingfaces_150.jpg
faceforward_150.jpg

untitled.jpg
Calista Flockhart as Audrey Hepburn

martha.jpg
Martha Stewart as Veronica Lake

I also have to give a hand clap to Besame for their wonderful gloss and lipsticks! Oh I have the beauty book that was the companion to the 1940s hairstyle book by Streamline press. I would be happy to share any info with you guys...just let me know!

Cheers,
Misty

Skari Spice

New in Town
Hi!

(Hmm, I posted this reply once before but it's disappeared. I know there were some glitches today, so I'm trying again.)

Body & Soul has a very cool line of 1940s-inspired cosmetics. I haven't tried their products myself, but you can sample them at Sephora. Check out the loose powder on their site! I'd buy it just for the cute tin!

I'm not a big fan of Benefit (and I've tried a lot). As much as I love their kitschy, retro packaging, the quality of the make-up is not that great.

I agree with Cherrypinupgal: MakeUpAlley is a great place to go for product reviews on everything!

My two staples are M.A.C. "Russian Red" matte lipstick, which is the best retro red in my opinion. And Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner in black. With an eyeliner brush, it's so easy to apply their gel eyeliner on your upper lid eyeliner to create sexy cat eyes!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Mrs. Foss said:
I've tried to round up a small list of make up products that haven't changed in a million years.

Pancake makeup by Max Factor (1937)
Tangee Lipstick (Sometime in the 1920's)
Tabu Lipstick (Sometime in the 1950's)
Coty Airspun Powder (WW1 era)
Bourjois Blush - I can't find the number of the correct color (1863, the first powder blush)
Alexandra de Markoff Foundation (Sometime in the 1920's)

I bought the Tangee lipstick (the orange one that changes colors) from Vermont Country Store. I really like the smell, and the consistency. It feels more like a lip balm going on rather than a dry lipstick or a sticky gloss - and it seems to really last. Unfortunately, the color it turns on me is HOT PINK! Not so great, considering I have red hair and freckles! I find it is okay if I use it very sparingly and powder over it, but wow. I was really hoping for it to turn the orange or reddish tone. Hot pink is definitely not "natural" looking for me!

I use Bourjois Mascara now that everyone quit selling my standby "Max Factor 2000 Calorie" in auburn. Bourjois makes some really interesting mascara colors, so I was able to find a nice light brown that works pretty well. Black is always just too harsh on me. Anyway, I really like it. Ulta sells the Bourjois line, so I will have to check out their other products next time I am there buying my precious Bare Minerals. LOL.

I need to pick up some Coty powder!

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Hi Fort Worth Gal!

I had the same thing happen to me with the Tangee lipstick. I am blond and green eyed with a fair complexion and it turned the most unflattering light pink! I always tend to go for the more orangy shades myself. I was going to order the Tangee Rouge, but now I'm not. I would probably end up like a clown!

I see Vermont Country Store carries the Tabu lipsticks. Maybe they are a better bet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner