Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warm Weather

apba1166

A-List Customer
Just curious, when the weather turns warm and the leather goes in the closet what replaces it? Denim shirts, straw hats, vests? Where does the love go?

too much coffee

Practically Family
Well there's warm and there's warm. Here in southern Arizona I'll wear my Eastman HH A-2 till about 80 degrees. It's a very light A-2, 3 1/4 lbs. Too me, any thing under 70 degrees is not warm; actually 60 degrees is cold. Above 80 and it's short sleeves or T shirts like everyone else. My fun comes in under 60 degrees; what with heavier A-2s, G-1s, M1951s, Carhartt and Filson, it's really tough to decide!

apba1166

A-List Customer
That would be pushing it for me. I have a light HH A2 also and wore it yesterday, but it got to the mid-70s (started in the 40s). I bailed on it by mid-morning. Have a HH vest I also like in mild weather.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
By no means am I an experienced (or even just period) leather jacket wearer, but I have purchased a khaki, cotton-canvas B-15 bomber jacket online from Amazon. It's probably not going to be very authentic, but it's supposed to resemble a type worn by some U.S. aviators during the Korean War. This jacket, I'd imagine, will be great for warmer weather.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Of course a warm day can always be cold a few blocks away, here
in the SF Bay Area. But even on a reasonably warm day, I can still
wear my Good Wear capeskin A-1.

Otherwise, linen, porous wool, etc.

Many people are surprised with the idea that in areas of Southern California the nights can be "chilly."

In Farenheit, a 25 degree drop or more from day time highs to night time lows in the warm months is not uncommon.

So with a nearly hundred degree day, a drop to the high sixties or low seventies can seem quite cool after such heat.

I have a tan cotton A-2 styled jacket from Sporty's a pilot supply place that serves me well to keep the chill off. My A-2 cowhide jacket is better suited for low 60's and cooler.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Freezing

I remember one March when we flew from Colorado to Arizona to look at some C47s. When we left it was in the low 50s, we all were in sweat shirts with the sleeves pulled up. Down in Arizona it was in the mid 80s, so short sleeves. When we got back to Colorado it was in the mid 60s, we all grabbed our flight jackets, we were freezing!

jon z

One of the Regulars
Wear the leathers as long into our Summer as the temperatures allow. Will resort to Harringtons & Lee jean jacket or just a shirt if hot enough.

andy richards

Practically Family
Don't leave home without a jacket and an embrella

When it's really hot, I just wear a nice shirt... Plain white or one with nice big flowers and palms... But, also in summer, whenever I can, I like to wear a leather jacket. My mum always said: "Don't leave home without a jacket and an embrella".
Andy

Navin323i

Practically Family
My co-workers think I'm crazy... 80+ degree weather here and I've been wearing my vintage Irvin Foster leather jacket everyday now since I got "reunited" with it a week or 2 ago (reference my separate thread for more details). Surprisingly with that jacket on I don't feel hot wearing it... maybe because the liner is so old and worn. I'm scheduled to have the lining replaced in another couple of weeks, hopefully with the same red-colored quilted fabric material. :)

Edward

Bartender
J B said:
By no means am I an experienced (or even just period) leather jacket wearer, but I have purchased a khaki, cotton-canvas B-15 bomber jacket online from Amazon. It's probably not going to be very authentic, but it's supposed to resemble a type worn by some U.S. aviators during the Korean War. This jacket, I'd imagine, will be great for warmer weather.

You better hope it's not accurate in the warmth stakes - the B15 was designed to replace the sheepskin jackets!!

When it gets too hot for leather here in London (and, as a displaced Celt, I do find London unbearably hot for much of July and August, even, if we're unlucky as this year we are set to be - a dreaded, so-called "Barbecue Summer" is predicted), I retreat into various cotton jackets in a Harrington or a more 'Ricky' style. Only under extreme sufferance will I resort to going out without a jacket - feel naked without one. I do have a lot of short sleeve shirts I love, though on very sunny days if wearing no jacket I will resort to long sleeves; I hate exposing an inch more of my skin to the Sun than is absolutely unavoidable.

apba1166

A-List Customer
deanglen said:
Honestly, I don't like warm or hot weather. Give me jacket weather every day. I know, I sound crazy, but there it is.

dean
I'm with you. Ocean breeze and Mountain air. Maine or Ojai/Ventura would be just fine.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Summer weather here is too warm for any jacket, no matter what weight. In fact, summer weather here is too warm for clothes, period. But April, and some of May, are usually still cool enough in the early mornings that a light jacket is necessary.

This is the time of year I like to drive my Jeep with its doors and windows removed. This morning, it was 46F when I left the house, so I wore an A-2...zipped to the collar. Even then, it was a bit "airish" driving at sixty MPH. I briefly regretted not wearing an MA-1.

In an hour I'll drive to my favorite bagel shop for lunch. I expect that the temperature will be in the low seventies by then, so the A-2 will stay rolled up in the floorboard. In a month, I'll be in shirt sleeves during my morning drive. In two months, the doors and windows will be back in the Jeep and the morning drive will be air conditioned.

AF

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Allthough I long for spring and summer (...and Italy) I still find it hard to stove away the ol' IRVIN jacket. Even wore it last night for the occasional cigar at the porch. Not because it was that chilly - but because it was damn nice!

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
deanglen said:
Honestly, I don't like warm or hot weather. Give me jacket weather every day. I know, I sound crazy, but there it is.

dean

That's a big ditto for me. I hate it when it's too hot to wear a jacket. It's not crazy, just inconvenient.

Let's face it, cool and cold weather simply give us more and better clothing options!

Here in Southern California we do have options, althoough I tend to forget about them. If you live along the coast fairly near the Pacific Ocean you tend to have cooler summer weather and warmer winter weather because the ocean temps (F) are between the high 50's and low 70's which tends to offset most weather. The way it usually works is: If it's 75 at the beach it will be 80-85 inland and 85-95 in the valleys with warmer temps in the desert. However we have mountains! There it can be warm, cold or downright freezing depending on the weather system.

If you want to wear a jacket chances are go to the ocean if there is onshore breezes or up in the mountains.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spitfire said:
Allthough I long for spring and summer (...and Italy) I still find it hard to stove away the ol' IRVIN jacket. Even wore it last night for the occasional cigar at the porch. Not because it was that chilly - but because it was damn nice!
Heh, me too. Cigar on the porch in my Irvin last night...

Edward

Bartender
Spitfire said:

There certainly is a place for the sheepskin in Summer: I wish I'd had one with me one June night when I ended up sleeping rough at a provincial train station after missing the last service back into London. Even in mid June, it was astonishing how cold it was at 5am.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy