Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
That's hard for me to understand, Ken, unless they need it for their own stock and can't keep up with production if they sell off needed parts. A sale is a sale. They didn't make or contract the hat bands because they like having them around, surely?

Do you talk often to David at Texas Hats? It would be interesting if you questioned him about his prospects for selling the business. Even if his kids don't want to step in, it doesn't mean no one will. There are two interesting YouTube videos featuring hat shop owners who bought an existing business, with a period of tutoring, or apprenticeship, from the prior owner. The name's escape me at the moment, but one is about a shop owned by a group of young women partners. I believe four. They bought the business with hat making training included. I can't remember where, but they seemed to be in a city of some size. The other story features a widow. She is of middle years and bought the business when her husband could no longer rodeo. Training was included and they ran it together until he died. Her shop is in a small town that appears to be in the high plains. The town may be called Paradise, and Utah seems likely, but I'm not sure that was mentioned in the little documentary, I guess you'd call it. It is one of my favorite hatter videos. Quite a few of the videos about independent hatters, and bigger operations, feature all of the 100 year old equipment and the steps to produce a hat. The one I'm speaking of goes through each process in detail, showing her work each step of the way. Things I'd seen described elsewhere, were demonstrated clearly, so I wasn't only learning about how somebody makes hats. I as learning how to make hats, which is precisely what I was hungry for.
Until I saw the video of VS and Art, nothing else was its equal. Art teaches hatmaking, as she does.
So may be it isn't all doom and gloom. Maybe an aspiring hatter will acquire Texas Hats from David, along with a period of training. The name may change, but the shop and business will carry on.

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk
The Aspen Hatter shop in central Austin were just jerks. When I asked to buy a hatband in the shop the clerks exact words were "why would we want to make your hat look as good as ours? If you want the band you need to buy a hat too." Their hats start in the $700 range. I mumbled piss off and left.

Bright sun and temperature increased in a lovely Italian September
View attachment 186331
Mathis Hutter - Meran
made this hat some years ago, Fleur of Penumbra - Netherlands gave it the actual shape and finish
View attachment 186332
The long nap of the felt was "shaved" and a new ribbon added
View attachment 186333
Thanks for your likes and appreciation. Have a nice day.
More to come about the Hutter-Penumbra in "Post new hat here"
I already guessed that Fleur did have a go at that ribbon. Very nice, Daniele.

Second hat of the day. Peschel (chamois).

IMG_1776.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
The Aspen Hatter shop in central Austin were just jerks. When I asked to buy a hatband in the shop the clerks exact words were "why would we want to make your hat look as good as ours? If you want the band you need to buy a hat too." Their hats start in the $700 range. I mumbled piss off and left.
Unbelievably rude and crass behaviour! What is wrong with some people?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Bright sun and temperature increased in a lovely Italian September
View attachment 186331
Mathis Hutter - Meran
made this hat some years ago, Fleur of Penumbra - Netherlands gave it the actual shape and finish
View attachment 186332
The long nap of the felt was "shaved" and a new ribbon added
View attachment 186333
Thanks for your likes and appreciation. Have a nice day.
More to come about the Hutter-Penumbra in "Post new hat here"
Very nice.

That's kinda my thought too Brent. Fewer individuals making custom hats. David at Texas Hatters mentioned to me he may be closing shop within the next 5 yrs. None of his kids or family want to carry on the business . Seems some hatters feel repairing other hat brands are beneath them somehow. There is another high end hat shop here in Austin (Aspen Hatters) that wouldn't even sell me a hatband for my Santa Fe Montichristi because they didn't make the hat. Pretty sad. IMO.

Art is having a hard time finding a buyer for VS. His hats are world known and artists, movie stars, and royalty regularly place orders. If our established hatters with a proven business plan and reliable income streams can’t keep going I wonder what the future holds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I already guessed that Fleur did have a go at that ribbon. Very nice, Daniele.
Thanks Stefan, she proposed it and I, who I really love this kind of pleaded ribbon and bow, said yes. I know that I am dressed and hatted with a color that you do not love, but today it is so. The velour of the hat is fantastic, less thick than others I've handled, but really of quality. I see you are on the Peschel way. I like the chamois or suede or every other appelation of this finish of felt

quikrick

One Too Many
There are two interesting YouTube videos featuring hat shop owners who bought an existing business, with a period of tutoring, or apprenticeship, from the prior owner. The name's escape me at the moment, but one is about a shop owned by a group of young women partners. I believe four. They bought the business with hat making training included. I can't remember where, but they seemed to be in a city of some size.
I believe the young women you mentioned are the owners of Paul's Hat Shop in San Francisco. I walked in one day, Nice shop, Nice people. They no longer do repairs as well, only custom. The lady I talked to was very friendly, she still said NO to my repairs, but she said it with a smile!

Last edited:

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
We chatted quite awhile. He feels burned out and doesn't feel his heart is in it anymore. He may have just been venting frustrations. It would take a special kinda person to take over. You looking for a career change? ;)
You know I am. Not sure about taking on a note at 61 to acquire an existing business though. Liberty Anne is 3 1/2. That's a lot of years before I could hand off the reins.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
We chatted quite awhile. He feels burned out and doesn't feel his heart is in it anymore. He may have just been venting frustrations. It would take a special kinda person to take over. You looking for a career change? ;)
Did he word it as "closing the doors"? Business owners often look at their business as an asset to sell and fund their retirement.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Wow!
Did you ask if the band was all they had going for their hats?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner