What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AbbaDatDeHat, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I don't think the Finian's Rainbow would have enough crown to pull off that porkpie, in addition to Dotneck's brim appearing significantly wider. I'd be inclined to think somebody trimmed the whipstitch off a Gay Prince.

Blare likes this.
  2. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

Very possible... from the photos the felt seems to have some of those GP characteristics to it. I do remember seeing an ad Dave posted a few weeks back of a hat the was sort of a contemporary of the GP @Dotneck Maybe we could see the inside/tags to get an idea of age.

Never mind on that ad from Dave. It was a Gay Cavalier which looked to have similar felt to a GP but I believe a pug and no saddle stitching.

3. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Second on the innards. Gay Princes are also a hat with a very soft finish. I'm not certain what experience Dotneck has in handling them, but I'd think the feel would be a clue.

Blare likes this.
  4. Dotneck

Dotneck Familiar Face

I'm fairly new to vintage hats but I have to say this is some soft pliable felt. Moreso than my other two Dobbs 20s...Here are the tags in the hat. The size tag is under the sweat and the liner is sewn in...I looked at the Finian's Rainbow ads...and it seems the big feature for them was the color...blue, green, gold, russett...my hat is black.

i should have added...the stamp on the sweatband shows this hat was sold from a shop in Geneva...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Daniele Tanto

Daniele Tanto My Mail is Forwarded Here

It is certain that dark green is a color that stands out in autumn, especially for the evergreens that are very present here in the North Italy
    Panizza Verde 6.jpg
    Today with a sun, first shy, then bright, I wore a Panizza made on the Lago Maggiore
    Panizza Verde 4.jpg
    Panizza Special size 59. Sorry, but the color of the felt is invisible because the paper label is sewn under the lining.
    Panizza Verde 3.jpg The felt is gorgeous and in the Panizza color range the pastels are fantastic.
    This is one of the rare hats I've bought new. Sure it is a new / old stock, but sold with many years since it was produced
    Panizza Verde 2.jpg
    The finishes are very beautiful as well as the two seams that adorn the brims
    Panizza Verde 8.jpg
    Thanks for the likes.
    A huge compliment to all of you for the hats you show every day.
    I try to comment as much as possible, when I don't do it it's for lack of time

6. DaveProc

DaveProc One Too Many

@Frunobulax @Dotneck
    I have two Gay Princes from a little later vintage and the block for both is # 913 which makes me think maybe it is not a cut down Gay Prince. But it's just a guess FB_IMG_1605052041649.jpg FB_IMG_1605052038100.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  7. Churchill:

7603EE75-59CA-414A-B4B8-397DF65A3D8C.jpeg 0C1C5364-9469-49CF-9338-F0FC154CCC2B.jpeg

8. g.durand

g.durand One Too Many

It’s been awhile, but I’m still kickin’. I got one of Art’s last pieces of work about year ago, this Blue Smoke beauty. 841BCDFF-91C4-4B4E-9B20-8003A0202028.jpeg

9. Randall Renshaw

Randall Renshaw One Too Many

deadlyhandsome and Blare like this.
  10. Randall Renshaw

Randall Renshaw One Too Many

Great hat profile, G.

g.durand and Blare like this.
  11. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

That’s one beautiful hat

g.durand likes this.
  12. DaveProc

DaveProc One Too Many

Wow! That is a fantastic color!

g.durand and Blare like this.
  13. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

Looks like a 1950s manufacturing tag. Showing a 5 1/2 crown... my 1940s Gay Prince has 5 3/4 crown. I haven’t seen that circle size sticker

the gay prince has an incredibly thin and soft felt. Before I had held one in my hands I had never come across felt like it.

14. Rumad

Rumad Practically Family

Excellent

g.durand likes this.
  15. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Hey, Jonathan. You look like a movie Western hero

16. Thanks. I’m guessing this is a ‘70s or oven an ‘80s hat. It’s nicer than most of the 3-5X Beaver hats of the same era.

Blare and Randall Renshaw like this.
  17. bowlerman

bowlerman I'll Lock Up

Lee Overbrook
    Akubra BGCD
    Wormser with sharks gills B24EC5CC-774F-496B-A590-73F3D83198B0.jpeg 0926989F-EE7A-4920-AEC5-500CC43B9235.jpeg FC00CF1A-5B69-4AB4-A9A0-A1B685097DA1.jpeg F1B9B3E8-2D13-4452-BB25-B241D5E85502.jpeg

18. alanfgag

alanfgag

Good to see you!

deadlyhandsome and Blare like this.
  19. alanfgag

alanfgag

Chapeau Vimenet Belge... a lightweight light color for a warm and sunny November morning.

111020_1.jpg

111020_2.jpg

111020_3.jpg

111020_4.jpg

20. Dlaniger

Dlaniger Call Me a Cab

Stetson Pinnacle in color mink
    IMG_6767 (3).JPG
    IMG_6768.JPG

Attached Files: