What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AbbaDatDeHat, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Nice looking Resistol Western, and super nice addition with the pink ribbon.
    We all need to be aware of cancer in all its nefarious shapes and forms. Glad to hear your fiance survived the big C, Misplaced.

2. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

They seem to be few and far between, that's for sure. Basically the same color as my 150th Anniversary Stetsonian.

Redfokker, Blare and deadlyhandsome like this.
  3. I was thinking of your Stetsonian when I saw this St. Regis. Beautiful color.

Frunobulax, Redfokker and Blare like this.
  4. Redfokker

Redfokker

Bond, James Bond...went to see the latest 007 movie this morning. An English Bowler was worn as a nod to the early bond years. Sadly, hats are no where to be found in the current films. Although Bond wore Locke & Co. hats, and wonderful 1960s stingy brim hats at that, I do not own any from this maker. I have a large number of British vintage hats, mostly 1950s homburgs, but the bowler seemed to be the most "British" for today. This Dunn & Co. gray stiff felt was probably made in the early 1960s, when Bowlers were making a comeback. The liner is a real looker on this one.
    10Oct21 Gray Bowler 007 movie front 550x.jpg 10Oct21 Gray Bowler 007 movie side 550x.jpg 5Feb19 Dunn Bowler liner 450x.jpg

steur, Rockwater, Jauntyone and 18 others like this.
  5. Redfokker

Redfokker

Wonderful parade Stefan! That Danubia is sure an interesting brand.

steur and Blare like this.
  6. Redfokker

Redfokker

A Gannon day for sure Eric! Love that pattern of the vents.

Love that lighter color of gray on this one!

Sweet looking Whippet. Great color.

This is one cool looking velour Steve. That wide ribbon and lines really do say 1930s!

What a great tribute. Looks like a grand time was had by all!

Wow Bill! The lines on this one are superb.

7. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Mike, Thanks! Great to see your gray Dunn & Co. Stiff Felt!

Redfokker and Blare like this.
  8. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

Lee Fifth Avenue - Bronze Label

This one an unlined number with chocolate milk colored felt and an overwelt brim.

D76B3A86-F745-4713-AFC1-F3BFCDD9172B.jpeg 6C215202-53D9-47E1-9A6C-00942B2458C6.jpeg 93F01456-63CC-4178-8EAB-F4BB32E2C6D8.jpeg B592DCD6-0226-4CE0-8908-1FE13E676F6F.jpeg FA958CEF-56F8-44A8-8D0B-CCF7B16210D4.jpeg 0B7BE702-2E50-422D-8973-63DA28CBCC25.jpeg C47A7F0F-8EBA-49E4-8343-BEB54FA8A460.jpeg 476F9306-6F84-4CCE-89A9-3A45A302BDE1.jpeg C7433B6E-B841-4765-9B25-2720CC2A6A76.jpeg

9. Daniele Tanto

Daniele Tanto My Mail is Forwarded Here

Small note of apology for those who send me positive messages about hats worn or shown. I realize that I am often late with the answers or completely absent, I apologize and I undertake to be more present in contacts
    Panna Borsa 4 bis.jpg
    What better day than October to give light and air to the new creation of Fleur
    Panna Borsa 5.jpg
    Borsalino felt worked and completely finished in the Netherlands
    Panna Borsa 8.jpg
    The result is this and despite a red dominant given by the bricks of the house, the "Cream" felt remains fairly neutral, as well as the ribbon
    Panna Borsa 7.jpg Let's hope the weather stays good to give light to the hats that have come to me in the last few weeks
    Panna Borsa 9.jpg
    Have a nice Monday

10. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Red's Bowler.jpg
    Oh wow, just a look you. What a gent! Did you know that Avengers star, Patrick Macnee, created his character, John Steed's distinctive look himself? Apparently inspired by his father's flamboyant fashion. He may have chosen the bowler hat as a symbol of quintessential Britishness, but its origins are more workmanlike. It was made, as you pointed out, by the world's oldest milliner, Lock & Co, in 1850, as a form of protective headwear. Its original name was actually a Coke - named after the soldier and politician William Coke, who ordered the hat to protect the heads of gamekeepers who worked on his Norfolk farm.

According to Lock & Co, the prototype was made by Thomas and William Bowler, hat makers in the London district of Southwark, and brought to St James's Street to be tested by Coke himself. He did so by jumping on it and, because it withstood his weight, he bought it. The Coke became commonly known as a Bowler, after its makers. In America it became known as a Derby, after the horse race.

The bowler remained most popular from its conception to around World War Two, thereafter becoming something more usually sported by City workers in London's financial centre, before being reduced to something of a stereotypical curiosity. Fashion historian Amber Butchart says that while the bowler hat is a symbol of middle class British respectability, it was also, "something that manual labourers would wear for their Sunday best, becoming an aspirational item for them."

Macnee's influence lingers on. In the recent film Kingsman: The Secret Service, Colin Firth plays a charismatic, sharp-suited character who could be John Steed's nephew, complete with umbrella - but not a bowler, perhaps to avoid direct comparison.
    reds2.jpg

steur, Jauntyone, Rmccamey and 10 others like this.
  11. 329D9E74-F8D9-41DB-84CD-7C237D8624D4.jpeg Rene Menard

12. Short Balding Guy

Short Balding Guy I'll Lock Up

It has been a sage green morning in my neighborhood.

A sage green Stetson Stratoliner was my dog soirée lid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coffee walkabout in a Stetson Whippet in same felt hue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers, Eric -

steur, Rockwater, Jauntyone and 20 others like this.
  13. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Great Dunn & Co Bowler, Mike. Nice touch wearing it for 007. Inspired by you, I might wear my Lock & Co Bowler when I see the film next week.

Redfokker, Blare and quikrick like this.
  14. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

They have those at Menard's? What aisle?

Hangin' by the river on a day off, it being Columbus Day and all. IMG_20211011_094432086_compress35.jpg

I think Dayton Day is next week, right after Cincinnati Day, and just before Toledo Day.

steur, Jauntyone, RBH and 17 others like this.
  15. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

A nice little history of the Bowler, sir, or the Coke (pronounced Cook) after the man who commissioned it.
    The name Derby also has a British peer connection. Along with a few friends, Edward Stanley, the 12th Earl of Derby, created a horse race at the end of the 1700s. This became known as the Epsom Derby. Horse races such as the Kentucky Derby took their name from this. Later on, the wearing of Bowlers/Derbys became popular at these events, hence the American name for the Coke/Bowler stiff felt hat.
    These stories have to be taken with a pinch of salt of course, but they're not completely removed from the facts.

steur, Blare and Short Balding Guy like this.
  16. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Actually, this is yesterday's hat worn on a jaunt to Copenhagen, but I forgot to post it.
    20211010_170849.jpg 20211010_170908.jpg
    Stetson Premier made by Mayser under license in Germany.

steur, Rockwater, Jauntyone and 17 others like this.
  17. Snowman

Snowman A-List Customer

Stratoliner
    B828C140-E587-44D7-B6AE-6CAAB92B9845.jpeg D7B05E2B-AB64-4CED-9D4F-33EAB16A7032.jpeg

steur, Rockwater, Jauntyone and 14 others like this.
  18. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

bill.jpg
    Sunday best Bill? The way to go my friend. So good to see the effort for a Sunday.

blare.jpeg
    What a great photo, you both look amazing.

Yesterday we drove out into the countryside in the old MG, we dined at our friend's 17th century country inn. I just couldn't make up my mind, given the warm sunshine whether to go felt or straw. In the end, Tina decided. She also came up with a very clever solution as to what to do about the cream baggy trousers she made me. They were impregnated with who knows what at the dry cleaners. Tina's solution is to dye them in the lighter blue of the blazer that I'm wearing.
    004.JPG
    Normally very camera shy, here's the clever girl that makes so much of what I wear and you all compliment.
    002.JPG

steur, Rockwater, Jauntyone and 15 others like this.
  19. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

Great looking hat Steve. Goes so well with your jacket

Steve1857 likes this.