Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Randall snow stays into April in my neighborhood. More or less it is normal. It is not normal to be this cold. Happy Holidays sir.

Perry thanks. Back at you and your family. Happy Holidays.

I do like winter. All except the below zero parts. Max Happy Winter Holidays to you and your family. Feliz Navidad.

Cheers to all, Eric -
First, I hope you and yours can stay safe and warm enough.
Second, I would expect my northern friends to rag me when it’s a humid 110F during the summer down here and I’m melting like a snowman in hell.
Happy holidays!

Last edited:
On the ninth day of StingMas, I woke up to -8 F with a wind chill of -33, so I'm staying in.

However, I did sport this OR 25 for a while. With it's 3 1/4" brim, you'd be excused for mistaking it for a fez.

20221223_130330_compress94.jpg
20221223_130332_compress43.jpg
20221223_130336_compress55.jpg
20221223_130352_compress82.jpg

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Max, as I have already said in other posts and here I repeat, Borsalino had no classification given by names or abbreviations of the hats. In modern times the only tangible classification is given by the mixture of fur for special felt (vicuna, beaver, cervelt, guanaco) and by the denomination "Marengo" for the second price range hats. In the past it was the price that determined the quality of the hat, according to its construction, felt and shape. Therefore the words found in the linings of ancient Borsalino or a recent past do not say anything at all. For the American market, marketing strategies have been developed to give the buyer a foothold in the market that American competitors had saturated with names, acronyms and captions for their hats. I have Borsalino marked "Trionfo" that are the opposite of each other like shape, felt and finish and so on for all the denominations that Borsalino has given over the years to his hats. "SuperTrionfo" is one of the variations of the marketing strategies implemented in the past for the American market. As you can see from the Borsalino hats I wear, I never mention what is written on the lining or sweatband, but only the color and the type of hat that is one of the mysteries of Borsalino, because with the same wording there are hats of obvious different shape. Borsalino, like the other Italian producers has always made hats that spoke, for good or bad, for themselves, none of us asks the shopkeeper for a Borsalino such, but simply a Borsalino, no matter what is written inside or outside.
Great advice! This should be required reading for anyone interested in buying a hat!

Thank you!

On the Tenth Day of StingyMas….

Stetson 3X Beaver Quality. Here is a hat that doesn’t fit under my (own self imposed - your mileage may vary… ie @Frunobulax ) 2 inch StingyMas limit. Coming in at 2 1/8. However a crown this tall can make even wider brims appear stingy. I call this one The Mugsy after the Bugs Bunny Looney Toons characters Mugsy and Rocky…even though I believe… Rocky was actually the little one with the hat.

D5D13285-D2E5-45A6-A51D-2696DB913E4E.jpeg
FED900DC-180E-430F-B65C-649462C1DEA9.jpeg
8356C984-BC1B-4D75-9E9A-A0F6DAA3AFF5.jpeg
3917FD20-08E3-4093-A228-20EA4C9E9D38.jpeg

D8CA499F-4355-4ADD-B5C3-17389CB879BB.jpg

Mighty44

One Too Many

Stetson 3X Beaver Quality. Here is a hat that doesn’t fit under my (own self imposed - your mileage may vary… ie @Frunobulax ) 2 inch StingyMas limit. Coming in at 2 1/8. However a crown this tall can make even wider brims appear stingy. I call this one The Mugsy after the Bugs Bunny Looney Toons characters Mugsy and Rocky…even though I believe… Rocky was actually the little one with the hat.

View attachment 475371 View attachment 475372 View attachment 475373 View attachment 475375

View attachment 475374
Beautiful colors on that one.

View attachment 475371 View attachment 475372 View attachment 475373 View attachment 475375

View attachment 475374

It's the tenth day? Darn, I lost count.

Point of order.

Fez is a city, and the funny (usually red) hat is a tarboosh.

Isn’t that like saying Fedora is the name of a play* and not a hat? I think that fez is the more common and equally accepted name for the hat. The fez is one piece of headwear that I’ve yet to warm to.

* I know there is some disagreement on the term predating the play.

Gary in NC

One of the Regulars

View attachment 475374

Wow you’re right, with that crown it does look surprisingly stingy. Nice interesting hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred