Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

My other half, Tina, gets many a compliment about mostly, my attire. Quite right, she makes most of it. But Tina has another string to her bow, she can advise on colour match, contrast and attract. So many times you entrance us with, a week in hats, and your hats get so many compliments, quite so, they deserve it, but as Tina so observantly points out, you wear your hats as an, accoutrement emphasising the coat or whatever you are wearing. You're a master at it. But good though you are, don't give up the day job!
Give my gratitude to Tina for the compliment, Robert. She's far too kind and generous and you can consider yourself lucky to be allowed to show off the skills she has in shaping textiles into garments.
I won't be giving up the day job anytime soon (there's no money in matching coats, scarves and hats;)), though I do get asked the question about how many years I still need to work quite a lot lately. It's a bit alarming :)

View attachment 474498
Our weather has been so changeable, the cold snap has turned to rain. This is one of the first fedoras that I bought. Tina saw it on a stall at a festival, looking unloved. There's no marking to identify it, but it must have been quite expensive, it seems impervious to whatever the weather can throw at it. The lady sprayed some sort of dry cleaner over it, gave it a thorough brushing and it was good to go. Some months later she found the trenchcoat, that was identifiable, it's an Aquascutum.

Trench and hat; you're good to go for a noir, Robert. I kid myself I can look like Bogart in my trench (Burberry) and hat, but the most I got was a remark I looked like Inpector Gadget once!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Give my gratitude to Tina for the compliment, Robert. She's far too kind and generous and you can consider yourself lucky to be allowed to show off the skills she has in shaping textiles into garments.
What a coincidence, today I was wearing one of the blazers that I so like.
Striped blazer strat hat 008.JPG
The forties style worsted overcoat that I had went missing, I say missing, it's Christmas so I don't want to sound accusative. I wear a vintage fleece lined raincoat with this blazer and I keep the rain off my Esther faux Stratoliner with a brolly.
"You should get yourself another overcoat," the lady prompted. "I saw a fabulous 1937 Buberry on E-Bay," I told her, two sizes too small though."
burberry.jpg
She looked at the coat, went to her cabin and came back with this paper pattern.
burberry1.jpg
Oh yes! And I might just need another hat to go with it.

In England for Christmas on my way to family. I ought perhaps to have chosen an English hat, but chose this Cervo instead.

View attachment 475184

Yesterday, on a short stop over in Manchester, it joined me on a trip to Old Trafford where I saw my team win.

View attachment 475185
Not a bad start to the holidays :)
Maybe a good time to go on a pilgrimage to Denton and Stockport! Great hats, Steve. Enjoy the holidays.
A nod to Jim with a stingy 3 ⅛” brimmed navy blue Gannon

View attachment 475190 View attachment 475191 View attachment 475192
Enough gills for a school of sharks. Wonderful hat, Brent.

On the ninth day of StingMas, I woke up to -8 F with a wind chill of -33, so I'm staying in.

However, I did sport this OR 25 for a while. With it's 3 1/4" brim, you'd be excused for mistaking it for a fez.

View attachment 475332 View attachment 475333 View attachment 475334 View attachment 475335
Best fez I've seen in a while!
Point of order.

Fez is a city, and the funny (usually red) hat is a tarboosh.
Almost. A fez is structured with a palm leaf woven framework inside, a tarboosh is not. As far as I can tell (I don't own one) the American shriner fezzes are indeed actually tarbooshes, because they lack the inside structure.

Pics of my fuzzy Stetson 3X LD before I stepped out into the wind on this 8-degree day and messed up its “hair” trying to keep it on my head.

View attachment 475406

View attachment 475408

View attachment 475407
Magnificent, Bob. I like a well behaved longhair hat.

As teased in the Post New Hats thread, and as requested by @M Hatman, @BobHufford, et al.:
View attachment 475387

Couldn't find an aluminum pole, so getting primed for the Feats of Strength with the Top Headwear and a double Old Fashioned. Happy Festivus everyone!
A sight one cannot unsee!

What a coincidence, today I was wearing one of the blazers that I so like.
View attachment 475519
The forties style worsted overcoat that I had went missing, I say missing, it's Christmas so I don't want to sound accusative. I wear a vintage fleece lined raincoat with this blazer and I keep the rain off my Esther faux Stratoliner with a brolly.
"You should get yourself another overcoat," the lady prompted. "I saw a fabulous 1937 Buberry on E-Bay," I told her, two sizes too small though."
View attachment 475522
She looked at the coat, went to her cabin and came back with this paper pattern.
View attachment 475521
Oh yes! And I might just need another hat to go with it.
But of course you do! I'm very fond of this style of coat. A new one just came in this week as a matter of fact. It will be on show tomorrow.

Live and learn.

Thank you.
Thank heavens there's no fez police around. ;) There could be though if we were in Turkey where they are still illegal (for turks that is). The terms fez, tarboosh and chechia are used loosely for any hat that more or less belongs to the brimless headgear family.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Maybe a good time to go on a pilgrimage to Denton and Stockport! Great hats, Steve. Enjoy the holidays.
That was part of my plan, Stefan. However, the Hat Museum in Stockport is closed due to refurbishment.

The match at Old Trafford was definitely a worthy consolation :)

I've promised my daughters a trip to both places the next time we stay over in Manchester :cool:

Portis Western

Though we don’t celebrate stingymas, or for that matter any holiday not covered by the cards from Great Arrow Graphics, we do celebrate Christmas and wish you all a merry one.
View attachment 475589 View attachment 475590 View attachment 475591 View attachment 475592

Merry Christmas, Greg.

Off to Christmas Eve sevices. I picked this Knox Homburg up several years ago from a now absent FL member. Navy blue with a dark wine ribbon. One of the nicest I have.

20221224_151007_compress55.jpg
20221224_151005_compress59.jpg

Merry Christmas, everybody.
20221224_151003_compress70.jpg

Mighty44

One Too Many
That was part of my plan, Stefan. However, the Hat Museum in Stockport is closed due to refurbishment.

The match at Old Trafford was definitely a worthy consolation :)

I've promised my daughters a trip to both places the next time we stay over in Manchester :cool:
My cousin lives in Stockport—definitely hoping to make that trip myself one of these days!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
But of course you do! I'm very fond of this style of coat. A new one just came in this week as a matter of fact. It will be on show tomorrow.
A week in hats on Christmas day, you really should be on a sleigh with a team of reindeer hauling it. Would the coat, part, in exchange for some exchangeable shekels? I'm a size 46" apologies for not knowing what that is in metric. Too old and too long in the tooth to be bothered to look it up. I lied, it's 117cm. Somehow I don't think that cm is an abbreviation for camel or mohair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo