Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Two hat day again (sunshine!)
Borsalino Ludoela in Ghiaccio colour
IMG_1383.jpg

Diana antilope (again)
IMG_1384.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Cheers! Grand hat parade this past week.

This afternoon I would like to contribute the vtg. Stetson Whippet hats I have been wearing. I started some afternoon hanging out. It may be 45'f, but I was sipping a beer on the deck wearing a charcoal/blue Whippet. This hat was sold from Two Stores, Jameson's in Ames, IA, USA. While the Whippets were not often the top "dog" in quality, this hat is excellent in finish and ribbon treatment. My hat rack is better off with this Whippet.

i-4gLkS3X-M.jpg

i-5pjvtMN-M.jpg

i-72kXHtw-M.jpg

I felt guilty hanging about and started picking up fallen limbs and twigs after changing to a carmel hued Stetson Whippet. I deliberately chose this hat to illustrate the differences that can exist in vintage Whippets. This hat was sold from Smith and Sons, Sydney, AU. This "3X Beaver Quality, Made in Australia under license" is a way better felt. The pouncing, the consistency of the density, malleability of felt and the sewing of the ribbon treatment is superior to the hat sold in Ames, IA. This one is a grand vintage Whippet. My hat rack is definitely better off with this Whippet.

i-cbdVdzG-M.jpg

i-j56g956-M.jpg

Is the country of manufacture the main difference in characteristics and the quality of the finished hat? I have no idea. I am of the belief that this is not a valid question as many circumstances affect each hat. The facts remain that they were manufactured in similar decades and sold 8938 miles apart. The ribbon size, hat size, blocking, flanging, brim size, binding size are similar. Felt, pouncing, leather sweat, liners and workmanship have some differences.

i-cbdVdzG-M.jpg

I enjoy wearing them both, each for many reasons. Cheers USA and AU Stetson licensed manufacturers.

i-WRGtSrs-M.jpg

Best today, Eric -

Last edited:

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Good looking beater though, Michael. Interesting ribbon; not something I've seen before.
Thanks Stefan. I'm guessing these ribbons were seen mostly around racetracks in 1959.

Two hat day again (sunshine!)
Borsalino Ludoela in Ghiaccio colour
View attachment 162927
Diana antilope (again)
View attachment 162928
If I didn't know that you are joined at the hip to Miss Borsalino I might think Diana was turning your head. Both fine hats and nice to see the sunshine.

Thanks,
Michael

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

This afternoon I would like to contribute the vtg. Stetson Whippet hats I have been wearing. I started some afternoon hanging out. It may be 45'f, but I was sipping a beer on the deck wearing a charcoal/blue Whippet. This hat was sold from Two Stores, Jameson's in Ames, IA, USA. While the Whippets were not often the top "dog" in quality, this hat is excellent in finish and ribbon treatment. My hat rack is better off with this Whippet.

i-4gLkS3X-M.jpg

i-5pjvtMN-M.jpg

i-72kXHtw-M.jpg

I felt guilty hanging about and started picking up fallen limbs and twigs after changing to a carmel hued Stetson Whippet. I deliberately chose this hat to illustrate the differences that can exist in vintage Whippets. This hat was sold from Smith and Sons, Sydney, AU. This "3X Beaver Quality, Made in Australia under license" is a way better felt. The pouncing, the consistency of the density and malleability of felt and the sewing of the ribbon treatment is superior to the hat sold in Ames, IA. This one is a grand vintage Whippet. My hat rack is definitely better off with this Whippet.

i-cbdVdzG-M.jpg

i-j56g956-M.jpg

Is the country of manufacture the main difference in characteristics and the quality of the finished hat? I have no idea. I am of the belief that this is not a valid question as many circumstances affect each hat. The facts remain that they were manufactured in similar decades and sold 8938 miles apart. The ribbon size, hat size, blocking, flanging, brim size, binding size are similar. Felt, pouncing, leather sweat, liners and workmanship have some differences.

i-cbdVdzG-M.jpg

I enjoy wearing them both, each for many reasons. Cheers USA and AU Stetson licensed manufacturers.

i-WRGtSrs-M.jpg

Best today, Eric -
I wonder how long your hat rack is, and how many aisles are in your warehouse, Eric.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I've never been much into blue hats, Eric, but that blue Whippet is tempting me to rethink my position!

i-4gLkS3X-M.jpg

i-5pjvtMN-M.jpg

i-72kXHtw-M.jpg

I felt guilty hanging about and started picking up fallen limbs and twigs after changing to a carmel hued Stetson Whippet. I deliberately chose this hat to illustrate the differences that can exist in vintage Whippets. This hat was sold from Smith and Sons, Sydney, AU. This "3X Beaver Quality, Made in Australia under license" is a way better felt. The pouncing, the consistency of the density, malleability of felt and the sewing of the ribbon treatment is superior to the hat sold in Ames, IA. This one is a grand vintage Whippet. My hat rack is definitely better off with this Whippet.

i-cbdVdzG-M.jpg

i-j56g956-M.jpg

i-cbdVdzG-M.jpg

i-WRGtSrs-M.jpg

Best today, Eric -

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

i-4gLkS3X-M.jpg

i-5pjvtMN-M.jpg

i-72kXHtw-M.jpg

i-cbdVdzG-M.jpg

i-j56g956-M.jpg

i-cbdVdzG-M.jpg

i-WRGtSrs-M.jpg

Best today, Eric -

Two super lids!

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
Forecast says colder tomorrow, chance of flurries, but reached 74 today. Was able get out my Dobbs Toledo purchased from Floyd Shankerman of Shankerman's Mens Shop in Clarksdale, MS. Located at 228 Yazoo Ave., the store was opened by Floyd's grandfather Abraham in 1919. Bought off the shelf in 2005 and it's still a favorite and still in great shape. Hope to see Floyd soon during Juke Joint Festival. I'll walk in the front door wearing my/his favorite Dobbs Toledo.

May 2017 004.jpg May 2017 007.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner