Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
A sunny cold morning made it appropriate to wear a blue hat. I selected a vintage Stetson St. Regis Royal De Luxe.

i-Jk5zSVX-M.jpg

i-JJ5ZPkd-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday it was time for the Hückel chamois in grey. This hat has been cleaned with naphta and with white vinegar and water. It came out fine, but every time I wear it I have cravings for a salad:D

What a lovely light gray hat. Looks pristine. You have been showing an enormous variety in your daily hat wearing.

On the vinegar and water treatments - they do take out some stains well. Combined with water and a tablespoon of dish soap it will remove many stubborn greases (1 cup water, 1/4 cup vinegar and a tablespoon of soap). It works like a charm to remove the black marks from the auto door seals that my hat seems to hit on occasion when I am exiting the auto. I have done it a couple times as I do not seem to learn to tip my head enough exiting autos. The vinegar scent takes a while to disappear. I have only used it after a naptha gas bath not before. Vinegar is an acidic treatment and needs to be diluted in order not to harm the hat and ribbon treatments. The vinegar, in high concentration added to the cleaning solution, will harm the leather sweat if not treated before and after. Use caution using as it can cause pitting on granite/marble countertops or remove finish from wood surfaces.

Best, Eric -

Glad I popped in this morning to see this one. Love the edge treatment on that brim. Looks soft and supple.
What a lovely light gray hat. Looks pristine. You have been showing an enormous variety in your daily hat wearing.

On the vinegar and water treatments - they do take out some stains well. Combined with water and a tablespoon of dish soap it will remove many stubborn greases (1 cup water, 1/4 cup vinegar and a tablespoon of soap). It works like a charm to remove the black marks from the auto door seals that my hat seems to hit on occasion when I am exiting the auto. I have done it a couple times as I do not seem to learn to tip my head enough exiting autos. The vinegar scent takes a while to disappear. I have only used it after a naptha gas bath not before. Vinegar is an acidic treatment and needs to be diluted in order not to harm the hat and ribbon treatments. The vinegar, in high concentration added to the cleaning solution, will harm the leather sweat if not treated before and after. Use caution using as it can cause pitting on granite/marble countertops or remove finish from wood surfaces.

Best, Eric -
Thanks, gentlemen. These Hückel chamois finished hats are great. It was the first time I tried the water and vinegar treatment, but I was pleasantly surprised about how effective it was.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

Best, Eric -
Wow, Eric, thank you! I copied the formula to my cell.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Well, hatters do the same basic work when they put a duplex together. And milliners used to do it with women's hats all the time. I have a vintage women's Montecristi Panama straw that was made for Meier & Frank that is put together in the same fashion with a markedly lopsided, asymmetrical brim.

If a guy found two old beaters and put something together...
I was imagining something more like brim-splicing rather than a duplex type brim transplant...the results would look rather...interesting,. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails