Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Stetson No. 1

11b922331c789b99c38bb7ef3262d33b.jpg

8a3801e8d0b071a46dd04ae51e74bcfd.jpg

e122c6521f47f92d12ebb7c955bfbabe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
$10 well spent I'd say. The outfit seems quite toned down, but then come the trousers:)
I should have said $10 MSRP. I think I spent about 10 times that. I think this might actually be the one hat I spent the most on. I was going to go laid back on the clothes front today, but then I needed some pants I could blouse into my new old 9" boots. Ha ha. I got a couple of compliments on them anyway, and one on the boots.

Lovely hat. I like the play of the binding and felt a lot.

Thanks,
Michael

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This is yet another thing that left me awe struck when I visited Italy. Celebrations, old homes, etc., that are all much older than anything to do with the United States as a country.

While in Mezzocorona, we visited the home of a man, and his wife, who was a principle in the Mezzacorona winery. Ah, Teroldego. Anyway, his wife drove us through town and pointed out the home where her husband was born; it was around 600 years old. Wow! Nestled there in the pre-Alps (?) mountains. Spectacular! :D
Doug, it's true, in Italy we live in a special open-air museum. It is a particular condition to which, by now, we are used since childhood. In some ways it is fantastic, for others, it is a mental condition that has some negative implications. It is a long speech that involves a series of historical, political and economic considerations, and here it is not the right place to do it. Mezzocorona is in the Adige valley, at the foot of the Alps, the same valley flows into the plain north-west of Verona with the river that enters our city. For the Veronese Carnival I send you this link https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnevale_di_Verona It is in Italian, but it will be fun to read and translate. For us it is one of the most felt moments of city aggregation. Until a few years ago everyone was dressed up, maybe not so complex, but from children to old people it was customary to disguise themselves. Today I saw, with great pleasure, many masked people. Also keep in mind that it was a period of jokes of all kinds

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Doug, it's true, in Italy we live in a special open-air museum. It is a particular condition to which, by now, we are used since childhood. In some ways it is fantastic, for others, it is a mental condition that has some negative implications. It is a long speech that involves a series of historical, political and economic considerations, and here it is not the right place to do it. Mezzocorona is in the Adige valley, at the foot of the Alps, the same valley flows into the plain north-west of Verona with the river that enters our city. For the Veronese Carnival I send you this link https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnevale_di_Verona It is in Italian, but it will be fun to read and translate. For us it is one of the most felt moments of city aggregation. Until a few years ago everyone was dressed up, maybe not so complex, but from children to old people it was customary to disguise themselves. Today I saw, with great pleasure, many masked people. Also keep in mind that it was a period of jokes of all kinds
I was also able to spend a couple says in Venezia during Carnivale, too. An amazing experience, and a lot colder than I expected it to be!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
A beautiful choice for carnivale. I think I have mentioned my fond memories of our winter visit to Putignano in 2001. They date their carnivale tradition to 1394 I think. Old stuff for us newbies in the new world. Salute Daniele!

Many thanks Alan!
118jczo.jpg

For your pleasure some translation about the Verona Carnival from an historic point of views
The origins
Dating back to the late Middle Ages, the Verona Carnival (the original name is Bacanàl del Gnoco) has its roots in the times of Tommaso Da Vico, a 16th century physician who left in his testamentary legacy the obligation to distribute annually to the population of the San Zeno (where the Basilica of the same name is found) food and food. This at least is what the popular tradition tells. In fact in the State Archives of Verona (deck 123, file 128 - testaments section) the will of the doctor is kept, drawn up on 18 May 1531 by the notary Bonifacio Dalla Mano: the only son is the son Bartolomeo and the legacy in favor of the sanzenati there is no trace. [4]

In the "Istoria Veronese" written by Girolamo Dalla Corte it is said that, due to devastating floods of the Adige (1520-1531) and the incursions of the Lanzichenecchi of Charles V who fought Francis I in Lombardy, the city of Verona was reduced to a unprecedented famine. Given the circumstances and the precariousness in finding the raw materials, the "pistori" (bakers) had grown their calmiere for the production of bread. Since there is a shortage of money for the purchase of bread by the population and at the same time little interest in producing bread, the bakers decided to stop the production, not even selling the ready one. But on June 18, 1531, the people rose up in that of San Zeno, giving the assault to the bakers and grabbing bread and wheat. The general revolt was avoided thanks to the intervention of some citizens, who decided to contribute at their own expense to the renovation of the poorest inhabitants of the district, in the number of twelve and on appointment. Tradition says that among the elected there was also the Da Vico, referred to as "instructor and restorer" of the "Baccanale del Gnocco", having by his will distributed food (bread, wine, butter, etc.) to the "sansenati".

In Piazza San Zeno there is a stone table: it was here that the poor were invited on the Friday before the Lent, called "Venardi Consolàr" (Friday comforter). Adjacent is the small monument of Da Vico (died in 1531), whose epitaph reads: "Thomas Vicus Philosoph, Medicus et inter rarissimos praeclarus, hic et in his se jussit claudi lapidibus hoc asserens si vixi, resurgam year MDXXXI".

The carnival according to the Da Persico
In his "Description of Verona", the Da Persico indicates as the year of establishment of the "Venardi Casolàr" (from the Latin "Caseum": cheese.The gnocchi were in fact traditionally seasoned only with butter and cheese, they were certainly not potato since the 'America had not yet been discovered, but were made only with flour and water, all products that the Veronese could find in their peasant tradition of food.Then it was called Venardi Gnocolàr.) 1405, founded by the spontaneous tribute of the Veronese to the Republic of Venice . Referring to the stories of the Zagata, he says that "... once our ambassadors returned, the Carroccio, after two centuries of neglect, was taken out of the Abbey of San Zeno and went to a solemn procession in the large square, while on it the chiefs of the magistrates imbued the glorious banner of Saint Mark as a gift from the Doge of the Serenissima ". This allegorical chariot, called the "Carro dell'Abbondanza", was a reference to that Venetian cartouche, the paper flag an allusion to the banner and the putti ... the 40 ambassadors. In light of the serious famine that ravaged Verona in 1406, it seems possible that the new Veneto Government intended to grab the consensus of the people by establishing the "Feast of Abundance" with "... editions of edible and with the apparatus of those furnishings, with what a few months before, the signs of the new dominion were carried in triumph ".

Historical appeals
According to another source, the origins of the Veronese Carnival could begin in the oldest "Feast of the whole People", established in 1208 by the infamous Ezzelino da Romano for the victory Ghibellina sui Guelfi, harshly condemned by San Bernardino during his Lenten preaching in Verona. More likely a historical root of the Veronese Carnival that dates back to the time of Cangrande della Scala (the greatest lord of Verona) in the '300. Every year, on the anniversary of the translation of the body of San Zeno, in the churchyard of the homonymous basilica there was a large fair that involved merchants (also foreigners), and there were songs, dances and the sound of commoners, adventurers and nobles all together . It is therefore possible that the traditional feast that has become a carnival has its origins in that context, in that dark and fascinating period, where such a demonstration could partly relieve the people affected by the miserable daily life, and could mark a truce in the struggles intestine.
The carnival in the 18th century
Gianalberto Tumermani (Veronese printer and publisher), in a 1759 writing tells about customs and customs of the time: amazing animation of masked people and horses with carriages through the streets of Verona, the noble ceremonies with the magnificent convivial of the Palazzo del Podestà, the companies of San Zeno accompanied by music, knights who remain with their swords in front of their banner, the homage of a wreath of flowers on the carriage of the Podestà to which one of the sanzenati, mounted on a donkey in a colorful manner, turns a compliment and a greeting. He then describes a procession of hundreds of people who left the Praetorian court, showing food and wine, to unite in a procession in the opposite square in the shape of a "bogon" (snail), in a three-turn spiral. The procession, writes Tumermani, continues towards Piazza San Zeno, where there are people who knead and bake dumplings for everyone. Also at the stone table near the statue of Da Vico there is a table set for the twelve needy who also eat the gnocchi. The party continued until morning at the Palazzo del Podestà, which the citizens came back to thank the next day. This tradition, during the period of Venetian rule, was charged to the Treasury. A decree of the Capitanio of Verona, Francesco Donato, allowed for the 11 July 1779 the meeting in San Zeno for the election of the 36 contradantole people who were to form the masquerade, who, with subsequent suffrage, elected their Head of the Masquerade. All the documents were sealed by the Notary of the district and placed in the archives of the parish priest of San Zeno, with the key kept by the most senior member of the district.

This is great. I wish I had a way to find and share the movie I made from our trip to Puglia. There was a nice segment on the Putignano carnevale. There were very few American tourists in that area at that time and we were treated as special guests, with seats on the grandstand with the politicians. The floats had much political content - both Italian and American, with newly elected George Bush featured prominently. It was the spring before 9/11. The next day we visited the shop where many of the papier maché floats were cast and constructed... all ready to be destroyed and rebuilt for the next year. The soundtrack was Italian pop dance music, which we heard everywhere and also Andrea Bocelli, who was at the height of his stardom, I think, at that time. Joyful memories!

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
In Rome I could not turn a corner without exclaiming "What's THAT!!". Since I said it in Spanish, sometimes passersby would smile, surprised they understood what I said, and tell me what it was, as if they were explaining something to a delighted child.

Awesome city. Truly full of wonder.

And the foooodddd!!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko