Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where did your user name come from??

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was a bit un-inspired the day I chose my screen name. I have a nick-name complements of Hemingway Jones, SpielySpielberg or Spiely for short, but I just didn't want to use it even though most of the loungers I had already met knew me as that. So, I picked a character from one of my favorite books "The Great Gatsby". She's not a character that I'm like, she's not a particularly likeable character. But I like the book, I read it at least once a year. Golly, I really don't know why I picked this screen name! But, it stuck and Daisy's not all that bad of a name to go by.

Trampilot

Familiar Face
One day I was travelling back home on the tube. During which the tube driver was making all sorts of "cockney banter" over the speaker system. When it came to relay the story back to my chums I had a sudden mind block and couldn't think of the words "tube driver" and instead came up with:

"Underground Tram Pilot".

A marvellous piece of Victorian descriptive skill.

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Heh, my name comes from my grandad, who served as warphotographer and spy during the WW2. He used the lastname as a undercover alias, when he (unfortunately) worked for the loudmouths in Berlin.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
My initials

From the military phonetic alphabet Tango Yankee = TY. When dealing with Comm sites they usually required ones initials for thier logs. I often use it for my user name on forums.

I thought of using a name from the Wooster and Jeeves series, but couldn't think of any that I wanted to use off the top of my head.

Cheers,
Tom

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
I am a backpacker and it came from one of my trail mates. We hike the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and usually hike in groups of three or four and I am usually a little farther ahead of everyone. Every so often I will get a good ten minutes or so in front of the group. One of these hikes I sat down for a break and about 15 minutes later other guys show up and one say I took off up the mountain like a goat. My first name being William so Willi Goat became my trail name. About half the people at work know me by Willi Goat or just Goat.

Sorry about the lengthy explanation, but there it is.

It pretty much the user name I use for most anything.

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
AMELIE: How very fortunate for you! It's a very beautiful name.

Nice - I'd have sworn you pinched it from the wonderful film of the same name - but in fact, your name came first!

Now, I'm wondering, does MK get his name from the JM Coetzee book (I've been assuming it is an erudite reference) or... is it just his name? I'm curious.

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
Incidentally, mine's another Domino Club nickname. The fact that it is entirely in capitals is AN ACCIDENT! But, I'm sure it says something about me, nonetheless.

TailendCharlie

One of the Regulars
My father used this name with my brothers and I growing up,myself being the youngest,unable to keep pace with him or the brothers while traversing the wilds of northern Michigan,heard this often,just recently reading a book on WW2 fighter pilots;it's the rear position in the flying formation,most likely the target for the enemy fighters,
roger that,
over and out!

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
And a WARM welcome from...

TailendCharlie said:
My father used this name with my brothers and I growing up,myself being the youngest,unable to keep pace with him or the brothers while traversing the wilds of northern Michigan,heard this often,just recently reading a book on WW2 fighter pilots;it's the rear position in the flying formation,most likely the target for the enemy fighters,
roger that,
over and out!
Colonel Z. See you in the ready room!

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Mine is the name of an obscure character from Caesar's De Bello Gallico (Commentaries on the Gallic Wars). "Omnia Gallia est divisa in partes tres..."

Orgetorix was a leader of the first-century Helvetian people who devised a plan to invade Gaul. He died, possibly by his own hand, and the Helvetians were eventually defeated by Caesar.

Why did I choose that for my user name? I have no idea. I've been using it as an online handle for a few years.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
I have stuck with mine for some time....I wanted jazzbaby
on an email address however, it was taken so I went for jazzzbaby.
I thought when someone pronounced it jazzy baby ~ it worked nicely.

Jazz Baby is a girl who enjoyed & danced to jazz in the twenties...and
Jazz was also the name of my beloved kitty cat that I had to put down
some 6 years ago tomorrow. Another reason why I loved the name jazz

Boy I sure gave a complicated answer to an easy question

Amelie

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
How very fortunate for you! It's a very beautiful name.
Thanks! I'm alway wondering why I don't have a more glamourour one... lol

TOTTIE said:
Nice - I'd have sworn you pinched it from the wonderful film of the same name - but in fact, your name came first!

It's curious, I haven't though about it because in french the movie is called "Le fabuleux destin d'Am?©lie Poulin", but now that you're saying it, I'm glad I like that reference lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael