Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where did your user name come from??

Where you at?

John in Covina is from my given name John and Covina is a small city in the San Gabriel Valley just under 20 miles east of Pasadena in Southern California.

For myself, I prefer clarity to obscurity so my location will not be something like "Never-Neverland" so those in the know will know my general location.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Resortes is a Mexican comedic actor, and a contemporary of Cantinflas and Tin Tan (golden age era). Resortes also happens to be way to say 'suspenders' or 'braces.' Plus, I reside within the 805 area code.

Jay

Practically Family
Mine stems from the fact that my name is Jason and people call me Jay. And that's not me in my avatar, it's D.B. Cooper. The airline hijacker who disappeared.

Mojito

One Too Many
As long as you didn't pick "Fink-Nottle" from the Jeeves and Wooster pantheon!

Mojitos are my favourite cocktail. And it's a funky, fun name to say.

Mo-HE-to! Just the word gets me feeling festive.

dtracy

New in Town
I bought a panama hat for a trip to Cuba to attend my sister in-law's wedding. I reminded one of the happy couple's friends of Dick Tracy, and he thoroughly enjoyed calling me "Tracy" for the entire trip, even though that didn't bother me. I made my avatar fooling around with Photo Booth and use it as my IM icon. Other people have noticed the Dick Tracy / comic book look as well, and I though it fit well with the hats/vintage theme of this board.

I work with computers, and choose dtracy because that might be Dick Tracy's login name, even though there aren't really any serious restrictions on user names here.

I've never actually read any Dick Tracy comics, and I haven't seen the movie. Might have to rectify that....

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Gray Ghost

I was a Confederate Reenactor for over 18 years, hince the Gray and my mother also tells me that I am like a Ghost. I move very quietly and appear in places that people dont expect. I came in and sat down in my mothers living room one day and was there awhile before she turned and saw me there and it liked to have scared her. I have done that to several people. I am also a fan of the original Gray Ghost. He was Col. John Singleton Mosby of the 43rd Virginia Partisan Rangers, Confederate States Cavalry. He was known as the Gray Ghost because he would appear out of no where and disappear just as fast. Use to tick off and scare the heck out of the Yankees. There have been other Gray Ghosts in fiction that I liked. One was an ex-Confederate who sought revenge on traitors to the South (Southerners who fought for the Confederacy but gave aid and information to the Yankees) and one from the animated Batman series. He was the TV Serial hero of Bruce Wayne in the 50s when Bruce was little. Beware the Gray Ghost!

Eric "Gray Ghost" Russ

IlsaLund

One of the Regulars
Casablanca. It's fun to pretend that a man like Humphrey Bogart lost his heart to me a Paris. Yes, I know it was Ingrid the woman, not Ilsa the name. :eusa_doh:

Tourbillion

Practically Family
She stole my name!!!

176806057_c9918fd549_o.jpg

Doh!

One Too Many
dtracy said:
I've never actually read any Dick Tracy comics, and I haven't seen the movie. Might have to rectify that....

If you only have time for one, START with the comics. The strip hasn't been around for 75(!) years because newspapers have nothing better to do with the space! And when you do, stick with the Chester Gould strips (if you glance at my avatar you can see I'm a bit prejudiced on this subject).

Folly

One of the Regulars
I live in England. I'm very English and to me what epitomises England and the English ways, are the follies. Hence, Folly.

Where I used to live there was a Folly Lane and we lived within a short distance from three follies, one used by Admiral Lord Nelson to entertain Emma Hamilton - I could see it clearly, high on a hill when I walked home from town.

S

Samsa

I guess I forgot to say...

My user name comes from Kafka's "Metamorphosis" and its protagonist, Gregor Samsa.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
In my group of chums (The Domino Club), we all have 1930s type nicknames.

Mine is a bit of a corruption of my childhood nickname, which was Sees - that is the first time I have ever written it down and I have had to think about how to spell it! It is short for Simone. Also my dad always called me Miss. So I became Miss Sis. Also Sis is easier to pronounce and sounds more 1930s.

And no, we don't play Dominoes in the Domino Club! ;)

GOK

One Too Many
Miss Sis said:
And no, we don't play Dominoes in the Domino Club! ;)

Next you'll be claiming you don't eat Pizzas there either! lol

My name is an acronym, given to me by one of my adoring fans (!!) after the release of one of my photo sets. However, only very special people get to know what it really means! ;) :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo