Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where did your user name come from??

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Coz I'm a ... Jazz Baby... Happened to be watching Thoroughly Modern Millie on the day I signed up!

Your new avater is beautiful Gok.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Mojito said:
As long as you didn't pick "Fink-Nottle" from the Jeeves and Wooster pantheon!

Mojitos are my favourite cocktail. And it's a funky, fun name to say.

Mo-HE-to! Just the word gets me feeling festive.

We have a fink-noddle member!

I'm waiting to hear from Cacklewhack.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
A little play on words...

My favorite fighter commander from WWII was Col. Hubert "Hub" Zemke, who along with some fabulous pilots (Schilling, Gabreski, Johnson, et. al.), made the 56th FG the most successful in the ETO. I'm both a "fan" of Zemke's and his most famous strategic maneuver, the "Zemke Fan."

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Early Days

Kids today think that throwing on an ill fitting blazer, a loosened knit tie (ugh!!) a rumpled shirt, cargo pants and god-awful shoes means they are dressed up. :mad:

In the 80's it was a different story, we tried to emulate Otter and Co. from Animal House, pictures from fraternity conventions/installations from 1909-31 show the guys in tails or at least suits. :)

Old School guys looked much better than today's Frat-Rats.

griffer

Practically Family
Just my nickname.

Which for years was also my NT I.D., until I left that company.

It's a portmanteau of my last and first names.

"I'm Griff. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Griffness, or uh, Griffer, or Enrique el Grifferino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Jay

Practically Family
griffer said:
"I'm Griff. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Griffness, or uh, Griffer, or Enrique el Grifferino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

"You don't go out looking for a job dressed like that? On a weekday?"

Swell movie.

B

BAZ

Talk about boring? Mine is a localized slang shortening of my real name: Barry.
In Liverpool (where I'm from) most names are shortened: Barry=Baz, Gary=Gaz, Sharon=Shaz etc. Strangley enough, it varies from North and South England. In London I was called "Bal"

melankomas

One of the Regulars
i think Madison Paige is a very nice name. i've a ridiculous number of real names due to very odd parents, and none of them are as nice as Madison or Paige. to give you an idea, my third name is Boahinmaa. :(

my screen name is due to an unhealthy lifelong obsession with both Greece and boxing.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm Doctor Strange on several boards...

I took the name from the classic Marvel Comics hero created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko in the early 60s. He's very unlike most other Marvel heroes, who are primarily physical powerhouses... Doctor Strange is a former surgeon named Stephen Strange - hence his name. He is a wizard who battles a variety of trippy other-dimensional villains with impressive-sounding spells and assorted magical amulets, arcane enchantments, and such. He defends the Earth against all manner of entities who are too powerful for the usual superheroes to handle.

He has no native super powers from being a mutant or having been dosed with cosmic rays, gamma rays, or anything like that - he learned his spellcraft by dint of his intelligence and hard work. That's what most appeals to me about the character - that he is a self-made hero based on his brains, not his physique. And I totally dig his way-cool incantations (mostly utterly bogus dialog invented by Stan Lee), like:

"By the Seven Rings of Ragador, I bid you halt!"

and

"By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth, I command that you reveal your true self!"

or

"In the name of the Eternal Vishanti, reveal his whereabouts in my all-seeing Eye of Agamotto!"

Great, silly stuff!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo