Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where did your user name come from??

wdw

One Too Many
Mine's the abbreviation for Walt Disney World. I had three wonderful holidays there with my wife and children and since then use wdw and one of the years as my email accounts.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Mine's the abbreviation for Walt Disney World. I had three wonderful holidays there with my wife and children and since then use wdw and one of the years as my email accounts.

Love it! Mine's a dull combo of middle name and birth date.

I am a United States Merchant Mariner and I guess I could be considered "vintage" because I like old clothes, old ships, old cars, and I pine for the days when people like me were needed to keep food on Britain's tables.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
When I was born my mother intended calling me Donald however she received an "anonymous" letter from my eldest brother (10 years old at the time) saying, "please don't call your new baby Donald call him David after Davy Crockett"

D

NoHorse

One of the Regulars
I was a long term lurker in the Hat forum, so I was thinking All Hat... No Horse.

Then, my first posts were in the Outerwear lounge, in a leather jacket thread - the homeland of FQHH. What was I thinking?

What are they thinking??:eusa_doh:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
GHT is a pun. Perhaps it should have been: "GAT." I lurked around for quite a while, dipped in and out in the first year, decided that there was a good mix of the age range, and being a baby boomer, settled for: Geri-at-tric. But I like hats, so the at-tric became hat trick. My name, however is not Gerry. Geri Hat Trick by age not by name.

My birth name does have an interesting story. My mother was a huge fan of the 1940's film star, Robert Taylor. Our family name is Taylor, so when a baby boy popped out there could only be one name for him.

However, my father wasn't in on this. He had hoped to call his son, his first born, Herbert, after his own father. Herbert was too old for the armed forces in WW2, so he signed up to The Auxillary Fire Service. He, and three colleagues were killed, firefighting during the blitz. Dad wanted to honour him by naming the grandson he would never see, after him.

Mother said to Dad that Herbert sounded so Victorian. But she hadn't mentioned her choice. "So what do you want to call Him," Dad asks. "Oh, I don't know, something new and fresh, like Robin." she said. "Robin!" Dad said. "He will be teased with that name." In the 1940's there was a newscaster who appeared on British cinema newsreels, her name was Robyn. She was just starting to become known on TV too, although there weren't too many homes with television back then.

Mother looked crest fallen, so Dad said, (he really should have seen the trap,) "Look, why don't we compromise, and go for the hybrid, let's call him Robert." "What a good idea." Mother replied.

...My birth name does have an interesting story...
My middle name has an odd story. My first name, Alexander, was taken from my Dad. And, obviously, there's no question about where my surname came from. But no one else in our family shares my middle name, which is Gary. So one day I asked my Mom where my middle name came from, and the conversation went something like this:

Me: Mom, where did my middle name come from?
Mom: Oh, you were named after an actor I liked.
Me: Oh, Gary Cooper?
Mom: No, Cary Grant.

:twitch:

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
My surname is German. Many words in modern English have Germanic roots, such as "knee", "knife", "kneel", "knock". When I am dealing with someone who is asking me my name, such as in a customer service situation, I frequently am asked how to spell it. I say very slowly and clearly to the person, "K, N, E, ...". About 95 times out of 100, my interlocutor then "repeats" the spelling, "that's KEN ...". No! I say, its "kilo, november ,echo, .... It's 'KN" as in 'knee', 'knock', 'knife', ... K N E ...!"

If customer service people are going to ask for the spelling, I wish they would listen to it instead of trying to skip ahead to the next question.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
If customer service people are going to ask for the spelling, I wish they would listen to it instead of trying to skip ahead to the next question.
Do I know that feeling well? The road that I live in was once farm centuries ago. It's name is Woodlinken. But spoken, it sounds like Wood-Lincoln. I have even had mail, with the mis-spelling, after customer services repeated the correct way of spelling, at my insistence. Why do I bother?

Jack Patch

Familiar Face
I worked at an Ace Hardware for years and one customer always called me Jack, even though my name tag said John, so I went with it. I started learning how to sew recently, and the first thing I did was patch a shirt. It seemed appropriate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner