Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where did your user name come from??

MikeBravo

One Too Many
ain't nothin' funny about that

TailendCharlie said:
My father used this name with my brothers and I growing up,myself being the youngest,unable to keep pace with him or the brothers while traversing the wilds of northern Michigan,heard this often,just recently reading a book on WW2 fighter pilots;it's the rear position in the flying formation,most likely the target for the enemy fighters,
roger that,
over and out!

When I hear that term I think of the Seinfeld episode with Elaine's father, he says to Jerry:

"So you're the funny guy? We had a funny guy in Korea. He was a tail gunner. They blew his brains out all over the Pacific ... ain't nothin' funny about that"

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Mike Bravo

My name MikeBravo comes from the phonetic alphabet used by military, law enforcement and the like. They use whole words to represent letters in the alphabet for clarity over the airwaves.

My real initials are M.B. which in the phonetic alphabet is Mike and Bravo (fortunately my real first name is Mike, so it fits nicely; I wouldn't like to be Mary Bravo!)

When I worked for the local Serrif's Department as a radio operator, we would say who was logging the officers off: "Logged off by Mike Bravo"

I liked the sound of it, so it stuck

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
I love the color red, shoes, and the Wizard of Oz (among many other things, but these stuck together while I was trying to cook up a user name).

Travis

Suspended
My name does not come from the band Travis (which I have actually never heard but only heard of). DeNiro's character in Taxi Driver was named Travis, and there is the neighborhood of Travis on Staten Island in New York, but alas, it does not come from either of these places either. It is, however, a direct decendant of my name, which also just happens to be Travis. Perhaps not so clever, but at least if any of you were ever to meet me, it would be easier to get my name straight.

Shazam

New in Town
I'm a comic book fan so mine comes from what Billy Batson says to turn into Captain Marvel. I'm also a fan of Gomer Pyle so it comes from there too.

- Shazam

Travis

Suspended
Shazam said:
I'm a comic book fan so mine comes from what Billy Batson says to turn into Captain Marvel. I'm also a fan of Gomer Pyle so it comes from there too.

- Shazam

SHAZAM_1_COVER.jpg

Jazzman64

New in Town
My wife gave it to me as a user name when she was setting up my email acct with our DSL provider. She knows how much I love jazz and the 64 part is my birth year. I use it pretty much everywhere just because its easy to remember.

cheers
JD

warbird

One Too Many
Mine comes from the fact that I once had a job of looking the world over for downed warbirds, digging them out of lakes, rivers, swamps or off hillsides etc etc and then brought them back to the states where we rebuilt them to fly. And then we flew them.:)

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Big Man

My picture weighs three pounds. Once, my shadow fell across someone and crushed them. I had a friend who once told me he'd rather paint a battleship than shine my shoes. The name should be self-explanatory. :)

MattJH

One Too Many
The name of a song by one of my most favorite bands ever: Barkmarket, a sort of noisecore/groove trio from Brooklyn, NY that lasted from the late-80's to the mid-90's.

Nightshade

New in Town
BegintheBeguine said:
Welcome, Nightshade. I love that word, so mysterious. Some of my friends live near Columbus, in Hilliard, OH.

Thanks, you're my first official welcome. I don't know too many people hear yet, I just moved here. Maybe I'll come across your friends someday[huh] :)

Okay, I guess I'll tell my story. It's a long, complicated one, involving a couple of college buddies/former employees, a young lady I once loved, a computer game and a Texas rattlesnake.

It all really started when said young lady recruited me to write for the college newspaper while she was Editor, and I had warned her "okay, I'm in, but you need to know you've invited a rattlesnake into your nest." From there, after we had gotten to know each other, her pet name for me was to call me her "pet rattlesnake."

Because of an extensive psychological renovation she helped me through, the latent Texan streaks in my personality came out, and this led her and said college buddies/employees (driver and IT geek) to assign me the callsign "Diamondback", after the largest and most lethal of Texas rattlers, also after my preferred weapon in a combat space-sim I used to play from time to time.

The folks who gave me the name I have almost nothing to do with anymore, but it is a very accurate reflection of my serpentine personality and how I respond to trouble. (Slither away from trouble, then coil and give a loud warning rattle; if rattle is unheeded, the fangs come out.)

pretty faythe

One Too Many
pretty faythe

In high school I got bored with the spelling of my name (Faith) and found in a name dictionaries variations. So at work I made a name tag that was "Faythe Amie" and decided if I ever became a writer, artist or so forthe that Faythe Amie was going to be my pin name (amy is my middle name).So every now and again for screen names I put a pretty ahead of faythe and become "pretty faythe". A boost of confidence for myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff