Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Did You Just See Live?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Last night at the Stanford Viennese Ball at the Hyatt in Burlingame, CA: in the "Waltz" room, Brassworks playing traditional Viennese waltzes. polkas, etc. And in the "Swing" room, a HOT, HOT 17pc big band -the Lyratones. WOW!!!

Flicka

One Too Many
I saw Magnus Carlson & The Moon Ray Quintet a while back. Really nice band.

[video=youtube_share;UJoXIohPLgs]http://youtu.be/UJoXIohPLgs[/video]

Espee

Practically Family
Kelly McCune and Border Radio. They play a lot of gigs around L.A.
A new member is John Lambdin, multi-instrumentalist who used to perform with the Ditty Bops.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I was at Duane Park Restaurant, in Tribeca, in Manhattan last night, and took in my good buddy, Drew Nugent and his Midnight Society. And much to my amazement and amusement found myself sitting next to legendary Metropolitan Opera diva, Catherine Malfitano, watching a fabulous burlesque act. Woohoo! Turns out she is the mother of Drew's gorgeous girlfriend. Small world. So here he is, making beautiful music with his cornet:
NugentDuanePark.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Pink Martini, and like last time they put on a great show. They had Norman Leyden as their guest performer and that man can play the clarinet!

Doc Smith

Familiar Face
Max Raabe and the Palast Orchestra at the University of Michigan Hill Auditorium. It was exactly the sort of magnificent show I've come to expect from the YouTube videos, and I'd have been delighted if they'd played a much longer set.

The University Musical Society encouraged people to wear clothes from the 20s through the 40s, and a significant fraction (say 10-15%) did. The ladies were especially well turned-out; my wife, for instance, had a wonderful late teens-inspired copper silk outfit with a purple cloche. I wore an old Brooksease navy pinstripe suit with a tab-collar white shirt, a blue grenadine tie, my old USAF-issue low quarters, and my moonstone Fed III; good enough to pass for period, at least.

The orchestra had slight wardrobe failure, though; luggage was misdirected from their last gig, and 3 of the brass players had to appear on stage in Michigan tee-shirts and jeans, instead of their accustomed double-breasted dinner suits. When the band came back on stage for the encore, they'd ALL put on matching Michigan tee-shirts (Max's under his tailcoat) while backstage. It was a delightfully silly end to a wonderful evening's entertainment, and I'm looking forward to their next pass through the region.

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
Last night I saw Bugs Bunny at the Symphony performed by the San Antonio Symphony Orchestra!! It was a great show with lots of memories from my childhood.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
At Symphony Space in Manhattan this evening I had the sublime pleasure of hearing Stephane Wrembel. If the name doesn't ring a bell, he's the guy who wrote the theme music for Midnight in Paris. He starts out somewhere in the vicinity of Django Reinhardt, and just takes off with it. Absolutely sensational. And he plays every week at a wonderful divey place in Brooklyn called Barbe's. Great stuff.

http://www.symphonyspace.org/series/167

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Jimmy Buffet 4-17-12 here in Des Moines Iowa, Wells Fargo Arena. Their was a all day beach party outside the stadium. I think we were the only sober people in the place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails