Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW2 Peacoat

CashmereSkulls

New in Town
Hi Everyone. I found out about the existence of this forum from the amazingly well written vintage peacoat guide.

My chest measurement is a 41 so I ordered a peacoat according to the guide that was 21.5 inches armpit to armpit.

It fits really snug, but not uncomfortable. If for some reason I wanted to puff out my chest while wearing the peacoat I am unable. Is that normal or should I be looking for atleast a 22 inch?

Also the front of the peacoat is in really nice condition, but it turns out there is moth indentations over the back and 1 bit out of the back of a sleeve. Do you think I should send it back because of the indentations and try to get a better condition coat?

I'll try to upload pictures in a few days. I'm currently about to travel.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Everyone. I found out about the existence of this forum from the amazingly well written vintage peacoat guide.

My chest measurement is a 41 so I ordered a peacoat according to the guide that was 21.5 inches armpit to armpit.

It fits really snug, but not uncomfortable. If for some reason I wanted to puff out my chest while wearing the peacoat I am unable. Is that normal or should I be looking for atleast a 22 inch?

Also the front of the peacoat is in really nice condition, but it turns out there is moth indentations over the back and 1 bit out of the back of a sleeve. Do you think I should send it back because of the indentations and try to get a better condition coat?

I'll try to upload pictures in a few days. I'm currently about to travel.

You need a bigger pit to pit especially for outerwear, I’d think 22.5 to 23.5 would be more appropriate for a peacoat and still give you a fairly trim fit. You will never be able to layer under your current coat if it gets cold.

I’d send it back if you have concerns.

Why not measure up a coat or jacket you already own that you like the fit of and see what pit to pit it measures at?

CashmereSkulls

New in Town
My understanding from the article was that you should own 2 peacoats. 1 bigger for layering and a second one that was trimmer for not layering depending on the temperatures you will be experiencing.

I've had a few WWII peacoats. They are are a pleasure to wear and nothing beats the feel of that heavy Kersey wool. The problem is getting an accurate P2P measurement from sellers, especially with these coats as the buttons can be moved to alter the fit. I think if you get one that fits you through the shoulders your best bet might be to move the buttons. I got lucky on a few 44"s and didn't have to but tbh I have no idea what the actual tag size was as it had long vanished.

Peacoat

Bartender
If the actual p2p measurement is 21.5, that is a size 40 peacoat. With a chest measurement of 41" That coat should be a trim, but not tight, fit. I'm thinking the actual p2p is somewhat smaller than that? A WWII peacoat will be a little smaller in fit vs. stated size than the post war models. I'm thinking the p2p on that coat will come in at just a little over 21". Your are a "tweener" in peacoat sizing, which makes it a bit more difficult in getting just the right fit.

As @ton312 said above, you can move the buttons to get a larger fit. Often only one side of the buttons will need to be moved for an inch or less change. If more than one inch is desired, then usually both sets of buttons will need to be moved to keep the lapel opening centered on the coat. I think only an inch to and inch and a half will be needed on your coat.

It is difficult to give a recommendation about returning the coat based on moth damage without seeing the coat or good photographs. Most coats from that era will have some moth damage. Another thing that mitigates against sending it back is the difficulty in finding another WWII coat. They are rare. One of my favorite coats has moth damage, but it just doesn't bother me. I am wearing a piece of history and expect some damage.

The best way to photograph moth damage is the same way one examines a coat looking for it. Turn it at an angle to a window and use the shadows on the surface of the wool to spot damage. Used correctly one can find damage that isn't even there yet!

And yes, if you are in a cold climate, you will need another peacoat for layering. The proper fit of a peacoat has a slim margin for error. One that fits well while wearing a sweater will be a bit loose when that sweater is removed. And a peacoat that fits neatly without a sweater will be too small to fit a sweater underneath. So, two peacoats are recommended. Once you get this coat sorted for size, then we will know what size coat you will need for layering.

Welcome to the Lounge. PC

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21