Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I assume that was a very staged picture, that or all the very good looking girls in the school had to sit in those few seats. Fun to see the saddle shoes.

Think about it my friend....

It's an article about a "day in the life" of teenagers.
LIFE gets ok from school/parents.
They ask for volunteers to pose.

Guess who?
Yep... it's the "football heros" or
the "cheerleaders" with the million
dollar smiles you see.

While the rest of us pimply, awkward,
shy primates sat in the back row
gawking!

Btw:
You'd dare not step outside without saddles.
And only an L7 would wear "shiny clean"
ones! :D

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My neighbors supply that. There's always a couple of canine cupcakes near the end of the driveway to capture the unwary.

Had a dream last night.
No kidding! :(
8BA3C91C-5BFC-4AED-855A-4BF849C7924A.jpeg

They played various interpretations:

*Hound Dog Man.
* How Much is that doggy in the Window
* TREES

Last edited:

HanauMan

Practically Family
I assume that was a very staged picture, that or all the very good looking girls in the school had to sit in those few seats. Fun to see the saddle shoes.

1940s LIFE had a lot of little home life / home front stories that looked staged but nevertheless look great photographically. And many featured preppy girls wearing saddle shoes or penny loafers (with a real penny in the little pocket), cosy workwear and those 40s hairstyles like Lauren Bacall sported (obviously a favorite amongst the preppy girls). My August 1945 issue of LIFE has some preppy girls fixing the roof of their house!

HanauMan

Practically Family
Which brings to mind another sign that you're getting older.

No longer getting away with a preppy look now. But hope is at hand, you can now wear the dotty professor look in style.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Which brings to mind another sign that you're getting older.
No longer getting away with a preppy look now. But hope is at hand, you can now wear the dotty professor look in style.
The dotty professor image is positively tame. According to our press, teenage boys are now sporting a look that the have dubbed:
Meet me at McDonalds. One school has already banned it. Don't ask me, I haven't a clue.
McDonalds.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The dotty professor image is positively tame. According to our press, teenage boys are now sporting a look that the have dubbed:
Meet me at McDonalds. One school has already banned it. Don't ask me, I haven't a clue.
View attachment 107957

I can understand if one is working behind the counter @ McDonalds where a hair-net is required.

But then, I remember the school policy where I attended.
No long side-burns like Elvis or ducktails allowed.
A trip to the boiler-room for a spanking with a hard wooden
paddle if you disregarded the first warning.:(

View attachment 107957
Last week I was out running errands and saw three young men walking down the street. They caught my eye because I thought two of them were wearing flat caps, but as I got closer I realized the "mushroom" shape was caused by their haircuts. :rolleyes:

It was a popular recycled look back in the 1980s, only time I tried it. Think Tommy Hilfiger. Still have one of his shirt and sweater combos. Went nice with chinos.
As best I can remember, the early- to mid-1980s was when that look was popular here in southern California as well. Being a "child of the 60s" and a dyed-in-the-wool "jeans and tee shirts" guy I can't say I've ever been attracted to fashion trends myself, though the "grunge/thrift store chic" look sported by people like Kurt Cobain and Eddie Vedder in the late-80s and 90s was/is somewhat in my wheelhouse. :D

^ There might have been some airbrushing done on that photo, but the prosthetic glove on his right hand looks remarkably real for 1938. For anyone who might not know, Mr. Lloyd lost the thumb and index finger on his right hand in August of 1919 when a prop bomb exploded while he was holding it. He allegedly spent thousands of dollars on such gloves, even after his acting career ended, in order to try to hide his "disability" from the general public.

Off-topic, one of my mom's cousins bred Great Danes with Mr. Lloyd, one of his many hobbies. The first time mom met him she thought he looked familiar, but didn't know why. On the way home she mentioned this to her cousin, who replied, "Of course he looked familiar; that was Harold Lloyd!" Mom also said he was one of the nicest people she'd ever met, and despite his success had none of that "movie star" air about him.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
^ There might have been some airbrushing done on that photo, but the prosthetic glove on his right hand looks remarkably real for 1938. For anyone who might not know, Mr. Lloyd lost the thumb and index finger on his right hand in August of 1919 when a prop bomb exploded while he was holding it. He allegedly spent thousands of dollars on such gloves, even after his acting career ended, in order to try to hide his "disability" from the general public.

Off-topic, one of my mom's cousins bred Great Danes with Mr. Lloyd, one of his many hobbies. The first time mom met him she thought he looked familiar, but didn't know why. On the way home she mentioned this to her cousin, who replied, "Of course he looked familiar; that was Harold Lloyd!" Mom also said he was one of the nicest people she'd ever met, and despite his success had none of that "movie star" air about him.

Definitely a retouch job. My first thought was that it was a flipped negative, but his vest buttons are on the correct side, so that's unlikely.

The glove was pretty convincing in long shots -- it was made of flesh-colored skin-tight very thin leather, with garter straps running up the forearm to an anchor band worn around the arm just above the elbow, an arrangement which kept the glove taut and prevented the leather from puckering or wrinkling as he moved. The thumb and forefinger contained stiff rubber prostheses, with the thumb curved at precisely the angle seen in the shot. The prosthesis was made in Europe by a specilaist who had made many such devices for soldiers maimed during WWI.

ec4db4a02ce275c0b1f8b224021842e4--prosthetic-fingers-harold-lloyd.jpg

The forefinger of the glove was attached to the middle finger so that when Lloyd flexed the middle finger, the forefinger would move as well, creating a convincing illusion of an intact hand. It's the joined part of the glove that's been retouched here to add a gap where there wasn't one.

Lloyd designed the glove after consulting with Sam Goldwyn, who had been a glove salesman before going into pictures, and who put him in touch with the company that actually manufactured it to his specifications.

When you watch Lloyd's post-accident films, you'll notice how careful he is to cheat his right hand, usually standing in such a way that it's away from the camera. When the hand is in motion or partially concealed, the glove is undetectable, but if the camera ever catches a clear view in a medium shot, it's pretty obvious there's something going on with the hand.

Here he is out of makeup and costume in a very rare pose where the damaged hand is fully visible.

finger02.jpg

Stop and think a moment how strong a hand must be to throw a sixteen-pound bowling ball without a thumb to stabilize the grip, and you'll realize how remarkable a fellow Harold Lloyd really was. And he was a pretty good bowler, too.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
5AF2463C-A652-4E02-832F-F825FE1A2023.gif

Audiences were generally unaware of Lloyd's injury, as Lloyd compensated
by wearing a tightly fitted glove over a prosthetic thumb and finger
when filming.

He also cleverly staged scenes to favor his left hand, filmed mirror reflections
of his left hand as his “right,” and used hand doubles for certain close-ups.

Last edited:

View attachment 108062
Audiences were generally unaware of Lloyd's injury, as Lloyd compensated by wearing a tightly fitted glove over a prosthetic thumb and finger when filming.

He also cleverly staged scenes to favor his left hand, filmed mirror reflections of his left hand as his “right,” and used hand doubles for certain close-ups.
Definitely a retouch job. My first thought was that it was a flipped negative, but his vest buttons are on the correct side, so that's unlikely.

The glove was pretty convincing in long shots -- it was made of flesh-colored skin-tight very thin leather, with garter straps running up the forearm to an anchor band worn around the arm just above the elbow, an arrangement which kept the glove taut and prevented the leather from puckering or wrinkling as he moved. The thumb and forefinger contained stiff rubber prostheses, with the thumb curved at precisely the angle seen in the shot. The prosthesis was made in Europe by a specilaist who had made many such devices for soldiers maimed during WWI.

ec4db4a02ce275c0b1f8b224021842e4--prosthetic-fingers-harold-lloyd.jpg

The forefinger of the glove was attached to the middle finger so that when Lloyd flexed the middle finger, the forefinger would move as well, creating a convincing illusion of an intact hand. It's the joined part of the glove that's been retouched here to add a gap where there wasn't one.

Lloyd designed the glove after consulting with Sam Goldwyn, who had been a glove salesman before going into pictures, and who put him in touch with the company that actually manufactured it to his specifications.

When you watch Lloyd's post-accident films, you'll notice how careful he is to cheat his right hand, usually standing in such a way that it's away from the camera. When the hand is in motion or partially concealed, the glove is undetectable, but if the camera ever catches a clear view in a medium shot, it's pretty obvious there's something going on with the hand.

Here he is out of makeup and costume in a very rare pose where the damaged hand is fully visible.

finger02.jpg

Stop and think a moment how strong a hand must be to throw a sixteen-pound bowling ball without a thumb to stabilize the grip, and you'll realize how remarkable a fellow Harold Lloyd really was. And he was a pretty good bowler, too.

Fantastic information and story. It's amazing the depth of knowledge at FL. Thank you all three for an enjoyable read.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Graumans Chinese Theater 1927
Rare photo of the theater before footprints, handprints.
Norma Talmadge, Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks and Harold Lloyd were among
the first to leave
their prints and signatures on the sidewalk.
(On the left is someone that looks very much like Harold Lloyd.)
tour-1927-pre-opening-pagoda-and-forecourt.jpg

(“Sid” Grauman was the owner)
ChineseTheatreFootprints-HaroldLloyd.jpg

Close-up.
Lloyd was assisted with the right hand imprint although you

can still see the difference compared to his left hand.
Looks like he had not only powerful fingers but arms that made
it possible for him to do the many physical stunts on screen.

dsc01935-crop-2 (1).jpg

Interior:
tour-1927-auditorium-from-stage.jpg

Projection Room:
tour-1927-projection-room.jpg

Brenkert Combination Effects Projector on the left, which could project all sorts of colors and slides onto the stage,
or the two pole-mounted follow spots, the three Powers 6B improved projectors with Ashcraft Lamphouses.
The ports are equipped with fire shutters, which could all come down with a crash in case of fire, which could easily
happen with the nitrate cellulose film.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran